Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom vs.RKC-Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011 | 05:41 AM
jimmy z
|
Road Captain
Default Softail Custom vs.RKC-Need some advice

Hello to all,need some advice from the boys here at the forum.Been riding my first and only HD,a 06 RKC for the last 5 years and love it.Been thinking about changing up bikes.I always loved the Softail Custom and found a 2009 at a local HD deslership.Low milage,right color and has a few goodies on it.
Anyway,I'm gonna check it out in a few days and take a test ride on it.I know it's hard to really know what a bike is about in a 15 minute ride.I have spent hours reading all about the SC here and have somewhat of an idea what the difference is betw.the two bikes,besides the obvious.I'm also aware that a persons's riding style makes a difference.
I would really like to hear all opinions,pros and cons regarding this.And if anyone has made a similar change of bikes.What ever I decide to do will be decided in the next few weeks.Thanks to all.

Old 11-17-2011 | 06:31 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

I've had 3 Harleys, before them I had a Honda and a Triumph. Started with a sportster, then a Road King and now have a softail standard. So I went from the RK to the softail I have now.All are great bikes but have different applications really. The Road King is a great bike for touring whereas the softail is more adaptable, meaning you can ride it any way you want, customize it any way you want and take it on the road for longer trips, although the RK is a MUCH better bike for touring if you do a lot of that. If you go on long trips alot, I would keep the RK.I don't ride my bike to work, but after work and weekends,I do alot of riding in the mountains and valleys and the softail is great in the turns for rapid decel and acceleration and really hugs the road. IMO, the softail is more like a motorcycle whereas the RK always felt too heavy and bulky to me in the way it handles in the curves.Before I bought my RK,I rented one for a weekend to get the feel of it to make sure it was what I wanted at the time. Maybe you can do the same or even talk the dealer into letting you take the bike you're looking at for a weekend. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2011 | 07:28 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master

You already got as taste of the touring bikes, so go with the Softail Custom. It's a classic bike in a classic style, and it's one of my favorites. It's very adaptable, versatile, and looks really cool. It's the softail version of the Wide Glide. I'm sure you'd be very happy with it. I'm sure you can find a 2010 at a really good price.

Old 11-17-2011 | 07:45 AM
mike06train
Road Captain

Like roadking harry said, if you go on long rides, I would keep the RK. I mean real touring. I can do several hundred miles on my train in a day on back roads. But, if your traveling on the bike with long highway trips, I'd stick with the RK. Best deal would be to keep both.

Old 11-17-2011 | 07:55 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

If you ride two up alot don't go the softail route. The passenger sits much higher, is not as comfortable, and the bike doesn't handle passengers and long trips as well as the shock mounted RKC.

I don't like the solid mount motor with counterbalancers as much as the rubber mount on the RKC. The buzzing just bugs me.

Old 11-17-2011 | 08:15 AM
bulldog82098
Tourer

The softail is a step down from an RK IMO. The softail may handle a little better and be a little quicker but it doesn't feel as stable and solid as the RK. The RK is more of an "all conditions" bike (wind,rain,unstable road surface,highway)If you are set on a softail go with a deluxe or heritage. Once you get used to the larger front tire, like you have on your RK, the smaller front tire on the softail can be a little unnerving. Don't get me wrong the softail is a great bike, but once you have ridden a higher end bike (the RK) I think it will show it's shortcomings.

Last edited by bulldog82098; 11-17-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-17-2011 | 11:21 AM
jimmy z
|
Road Captain

Thanks for all your responses,always a big help.

Old 11-17-2011 | 01:04 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Take it for the longest test ride you can and make you decision.

If you do longer rides or two up the RK may be better suited to you, if you want the custom or barhopper the softail may be the one. Bottom line is its your bike buy what puts the smile on your face.

I went Sporty, RKC, Fatboy back to a Road Glide. At this time in my life I think my Road Glide is a better all around bike , out handles at all speeds my fatboy and its the best bike for me. Buts thats me at this time in my life. 7 years ago when I owned a Road King Custom I swapped to the fatboy and loved it. So again you need to make the decision

Old 11-17-2011 | 01:33 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I pretty much agree with what has been said. They will all put a smile on your face but in my opinion the Softail Custom will put a wide grin there that won't leave until hours after the ride. I am grinning just thinking about riding mine. There is just something about that bike that no other has. It is very unique. I am slightly biased.

Old 11-17-2011 | 01:44 PM
jimmy z
|
Road Captain

Again thanks for the reply and advice.So far what I've heard I've been thinking to myself.And that goes for both sides of the coin.Just to give a lttle more background,I ride solo,and rarely (once or twice a year) go on out of state,or over night trips.
I'm also considering a new Wide Glide.Love that chopper look of the SC and WG.

Quick Reply: Softail Custom vs.RKC-Need some advice