Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Air suspension...Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Air suspension...Anyone?

Ok, we all have either read or debated for or against rear air suspension wether it was sas, legend or shotgun.....Now, what about front air-suspension? I saw a bike on a wesite with front air suspension a few months back... I'm exploring a new venture and would like to know if anyone on here has had first hand experience, has anyone seen one in person??

Second question who here would consider a front air suspension?

Here is a company that makes them... very interesting especially the springer

http://hstrial-trickyairbillet.intui...uspension.html

If it functions like rear suspension this could be a solution for running those larger diameter wheels..

Last edited by Joe What; 11-10-2011 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Goodlife (11-21-2016)
Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 AM
drcrazytrain
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Custom Front Air Ride

I built a 06 wide tire Softail, I cut 4 inches out of the front springs. I then turned a couple pistons .0100 under the tube I.D x 1 inch thick for 3 inches of travel. With 5 o-ring grooves. With a threaded blind hole in one end for removal. I then drilled and tapped the fork tube extenders and used touring tubes, since they are 1 inch shorter than the softail for 1/8 NPT fittings to apply air pressure to the top side of the piston, to adjust the piston up and down. I already had the progressive air ride system on the rear. Also 7 degree raked trees on it. As you can see in the pic, there was no kick stand. It just sat on a rubber bumper under the left floor board. Since I have my own machine shop, it only cost around $20.00 for parts. I never finished the build, I sold the front end to a guy in New Zealand. He loved it and is still running it as of the last time I heard from him last year. Getting ready to do my 2012 Ultra.

Attached Thumbnails Front Air suspension...Anyone?-img_0085.jpg   Front Air suspension...Anyone?-img_0086.jpg   Front Air suspension...Anyone?-img_0087.jpg   Front Air suspension...Anyone?-img_0088.jpg   Front Air suspension...Anyone?-img_0107.jpg  

Codey (04-19-2019)
Old 06-28-2013, 05:16 AM
n2gzus
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I would love a front air ride suspension but can't quite see me paying tricky's retail price on them.

Dr, are you willing to do a setup on the side?? Sounds like your price with labor would be much less. I'm sure you'd have a few takers on here.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That bike makes me want to throw a 23" on my front.
I wouldnt consider air ride on the front. The majority of the weight is supported in the rear on every bike. Seems like a system for super custom show toys.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am a FREAK for the exotic and something new. If you're going to go rear air there is only 1 way to go and that is the shotgun. Ask anyone who has it, even those who have had other brands before they went with the Shotgun. It's worth every penny and you will not be sorry you went with it. As for the front? There just isn't anything out there yet that has my attention, especially for the price. I also do NOT want to rake my front end in order to have front air ride. I'm waiting on JD to come out with front air ride!!! If he even came close to what he did for the rear air on softails he would knock it out of the park. Just wishfull thinking JD, nothing more but if you ever did? I am sure I would be one of your 1st customers. As for now I have the progressive gas monotubes up front and paired with JD's Shotgun it gives me everything I want and need in a bike and it's ride. It's an AWESOME setup, I chit U not!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 AM
black01
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I second Tbone. ShotgunFork, JD???

Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,305 Likes on 2,559 Posts

Originally Posted by jcallesano
That bike makes me want to throw a 23" on my front.
I wouldnt consider air ride on the front. The majority of the weight is supported in the rear on every bike. Seems like a system for super custom show toys.
You sould ride one first J. Pretty impressive ride with air front and rear on a softy. Tricky makes front air for bagger tubes.A change of trees is all thats needed for a softy to stay with tubes.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by back again
You sould ride one first J. Pretty impressive ride with air front and rear on a softy. Tricky makes front air for bagger tubes.A change of trees is all thats needed for a softy to stay with tubes.
With the change of trees, you change the trail and what not.
Unless its the same rake, but what the point of changing the trees to the same rake degree....
This affects handling whether people choose to believe it or not.

So in reality its the price of the front air ride, what ever that may be, PLUS the cost of new trees which is easily $500+. Seems expensive. I don't ride on rumble strips. LOL

Old 07-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

There is a lot of info on the tricky front set up on Chopped Baggers. I realize this is a softail but you might want to ask those guys.
http://choppedbaggers.com/forums/forum.php

Johnny Goodlife (11-21-2016)