Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"OLD TIMERS" Like Leather/Have some Fringe on Ur bike, Lets see it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011 | 06:02 PM
oct1949
|
Club Member
Default "OLD TIMERS" Like Leather/Have some Fringe on Ur bike, Lets see it.

How bout some of U older laid back members posting some THOUGHTS/PICS of How things were and looked when U were young for a change in here.

I like the latest FAD of the way the CALI bikes looks,, but,,,, Our younger day are fading fast as the pups now riding in the last 20 yrs don't have a clue to our youthful days (in the 50's-60's,) other than laughing at them.

THOUGHTS about this.!!!!!

At 62, I still remember like Yesterday seeing all the bikes in the 50's and 60's passing our car, With all the Leather Flying "everywhere".....as DAD drove our old Chevy when I was 8-9 yrs old. And saying,,, thats SOOOOO Frigging Cool....
(Well OK, I didn't know what Frigging was back then. Still my love for leather and fringe was hatched in me that most of U young-uns in here haven't even ever seen.........

Seem like these days all U young pups know about is Gangs, drugs, slamming, air shocks, Apes, and 39'' Cholos .
Nothing wrong with that, just its soooo different these days.

Most don't even have a clue what it was like to ride 50-60 yrs ago.

This ain't to pi$$ off the pups,, Just meant to see if the GRAY hairs (actually Mines white now) have the ***** or Time to actually put a post in here instead of just reading.

How U-all feel bout 60 yrs ago riding vs Today riding and bikes.....

Old 11-09-2011 | 06:15 PM
Karsten
Road Captain

As to the Fringe I am afraid this could be a short post...You, me and maybe a few others but what he hell....It's my bike and I wasn't out to please anyone.

Karsten

Old 11-09-2011 | 06:29 PM
gerjets
Road Master

No pics, but long stringy hair in the 70s, no helmets, and just riding...current bike - complete with fringe - is in the attached pic.

Attached Thumbnails "OLD TIMERS" Like Leather/Have some Fringe on Ur bike, Lets see it.-high-rock-lookout-029.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011 | 06:31 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

Ha... I'm not a gray hair.... well almost not... But I like fringe as do most Heritage Springer owners I hang with..

We also have the hairy yak sub club in our group. I'm not there yet, but we have a member that will stitch extra long fringe on the bags and seats

Old 11-09-2011 | 07:38 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

Just an Ole Skool whip.

Attached Thumbnails "OLD TIMERS" Like Leather/Have some Fringe on Ur bike, Lets see it.-203.jpg   "OLD TIMERS" Like Leather/Have some Fringe on Ur bike, Lets see it.-204.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011 | 09:32 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Default Old School

Even though I am half the OP's age what hooked me on bikes was my neighbor. Every morning at the bus stop the neighbor would go roaring by on what I think was a chopped knuckle. Black loud and old school (and yes rolling all leathered up). Probably explained why I asked santa for a leather jacket in grade school.

Old 11-09-2011 | 09:42 PM
thork86
Cruiser

Be gentle... but as a young/new rider can I ask what the super long, braided-looking leather is that dangles from the levers in hspring's and dansax's pictures? I mean... wouldn't that just be brutal if it whipped you while you ride?

Fringey streamers I can see not really hurting too bad, and looking kinda cool while you ride... but, what's the braided one's appeal?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2011 | 09:54 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Default Whips

Originally Posted by thork86
Be gentle... but as a young/new rider can I ask what the super long, braided-looking leather is that dangles from the levers in hspring's and dansax's pictures? I mean... wouldn't that just be brutal if it whipped you while you ride?

Fringey streamers I can see not really hurting too bad, and looking kinda cool while you ride... but, what's the braided one's appeal?

Thanks!
They can be used to show club colors or to be used as a "get back tool" if needed...some like the look--like fringe on a break lever.

Old 11-10-2011 | 05:31 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master

Nothing wrong with a little floorboard, lever, and grip fringe, as far as I'm concerned. On some bike styles, it looks very good, i.e., Springers. It's a tie-in to the Old West with the rancher and his steed to the biker and his iron horse. There's a reason why the folks at Chilhowee Leather are doing so well.

Old 11-10-2011 | 06:33 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior

Hell, I like the fringe. Just another thing on the list of things to add to the bike

Quick Reply: "OLD TIMERS" Like Leather/Have some Fringe on Ur bike, Lets see it.