Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket security system.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
I agree with Utah......the factory alarm is great, the key/fob stays in your pocket and if someone touches it after the perimeter is set the alarm goes crazy......assuming you are close buy you can hear the alarm. When my group travels we try to park the bikes close to the rooms so we can here the alarms, never had a problem.

I agree with all you’ve said.
The Sirens are kind of useless in a big city – nobody pays attention to sirens going off, it happens all the time. On the other hand it makes people turn their heads and take a look and that’s what thieves don’t’ really want, attention.

I agree the Harley system is pricey but it has its own advantages:
- ‘hands-free” operation – when you have the FOB in your pocket the bike appears to you as if there is no security, just jump on it and start it.
- very high security, the FOB signals can not be hi-jacked by thieves and re-send to disarm the security – the FOB IDs are assigned using laptop at the dealers, and they are never transmitted through the air. No hijacker can “impersonate” your FOB
- Besides disabling the starter motor the Harley system disables the Ignition Controller as well. And that’s not done by a wire but using highly encrypted digital password communicated on the vehicle bus between the security module and the ignition module
- A thief can’t walk to your bike, put his own security module and start the bike – the Ignition Controller remembers the password of the original security module.

As for the siren coming on when moving the vehicle around – well, that may be a pain in the *** if you are in a habit of frequently repositioning your vehicle in the garage and don’t carry the FOB with. On the bright side – the siren never comes full blast right away; it will first give you two gentle chirps to remind you to leave the vehicle alone and go get your FOB.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 PM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want a proximity sensor so average people stay away from it!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kzoo
I just want a proximity sensor so average people stay away from it!
That’s OK too, but I have seen annoyed morons kicking the bikes just because the perimeter was tripping the alarm when they were simply passing near the vehicles.
On rallies and big biker gatherings where vehicles are parked close to each other the perimeter sensor can be kind of nuisance – it trips the system anytime somebody walks by, and some rough fellow can give your scooter a kick in the groins.
Another consideration is current drain- it will deplete your battery faster.
Then yet another consideration – a good immobilizer is always better than a good noise-maker (siren). Siren can be easily defeated – just spray some silly spray on it, or put a scotch tape over it if you can access it, and it’s done.