Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boards are killin' me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011 | 04:36 PM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master

Seriously ?? I love to hear the boards scrape, and no pegs give you the comfort and ability to position your feet like boards do. Want to lay it over and ride the sidewalls ? On a Softail ?

Old 11-07-2011 | 04:37 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrianG
Originally Posted by rmarino14
"Mid controls would get you through the curves a lot easier but I'm not sure if you can get mids on the bike."

Good question... Are mid-controls available for a Softail?

Anyone?
I've seen mid contols on a Roland Sands Design (RSD) Softail on his website ... but, it does not appear he makes (for public consumption) or sells a kit ...

... maybe try a google search or check on e-Bay ... from the photos posted on his website it looks like the foot controls may be mounted on the front side of the transmission cover ....

... unless it was in conjunction with the stock floorboards it would kind of kill the styling cues of the Heritage ....

R/
'Chop

Old 11-07-2011 | 06:34 PM
BrianG
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by DeLuxeLady
Ummm...I resemble that remark, well, minus the short-dick. Honestly though, what did you expect? You bought a cruiser and want it to perform like a sport bike?
Not like a sportbike, but better than a lake freighter!

Originally Posted by DeLuxeLady
Have you ever loaded your Ducati with 75 lbs of lugagge and taken a 3K tour through 7 states? Maybe you have...and if that's true then, maybe you did buy the wrong bike.
Yup, I have.......
Solo, I admit, from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada to San Francisco and back. Great trip BTW!

I'm beginning to think I need more than one bike!

Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene
Seriously ?? I love to hear the boards scrape, and no pegs give you the comfort and ability to position your feet like boards do. Want to lay it over and ride the sidewalls ? On a Softail ?
Softails can turn..... the NT did just great on Logan's Pass.

Originally Posted by oct1949
Read through this fast but I bet U have a lowering kit on it and don't even know it..

36k on Our Heritage and I've scrapped twice...I am not aggressive during riding as it makes a diff. But still.....

Check out Ur suspension and I'll bet its lowered.

Some short fellow must have owned it.
Bingo! See post #26......
It was owned by a real cute girl who was not too tall.

I'm betting that this will sort things out substantially. Too bad I won't be able to find out until next April!

Cheers!

Last edited by BrianG; 11-07-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2011 | 06:58 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene
Want to lay it over and ride the sidewalls ? On a Softail ?
Can get pretty close on my Deuce, l'm partial to pegs.

Old 11-07-2011 | 07:42 PM
Yoric
Intermediate

I had this same problem my 06 fatty. I came from a ZX9R and my 06 fatty had also been lowered. I put Arlen Ness 3" extenders on and now I rarely scrape...must be that the floorboard is no longer at the lowest position when the bike is leaned over. I originally put the extenders on to get relief for my longish legs (34" inseam), and was pleasantly surprised at the reduction in scraping. I can still get 'er to scrape if I want to, but it takes a bit more effort.

Also, like other guys said...the softail is not a sportbike, even if I secretly wish it was every now and then. But then again, I don't think I ever had that stoopid HD sh_t eating grin on my face every time I got off my sportbike...

Old 11-07-2011 | 09:43 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Yup, just like most everyone has said...you bought the wrong bike.

Old 11-07-2011 | 09:43 PM
poppavein
Road Master

Originally Posted by KumaRide
I live in the land of twisties. Replace stock floor boards with half moon and move them forward 1 1/4".
This is a great idea. Will do it on my RK this winter.

Old 11-07-2011 | 09:53 PM
poppavein
Road Master

I'm beginning to think I need more than one bike!
I've heard too many people regret selling their Ducatis or their Harleys, so I didn't. I still have mine.

You can make a Harley handle well, but there is no comparison to a light Ducati that feels like it is riding on rails.

You can tour on any bike, but the touring models do it the best.

Same goes for dirt biking. (I sold that one, since my kid has grown.)

So there's at least 3 more you need for your stable ...

Old 11-07-2011 | 10:28 PM
HolePuncher
Cruiser

Originally posted by shooker:
"Seems like there is a limp dick little bitch that can't handle his bike postin up here."

Sure is... but I don't mind that you do post up...

Welcome aboard and thanks for the useful contribution to the discussion!
That got me laughing so hard my wife had to ask what was so funny. Nice jab!

Last edited by HolePuncher; 11-07-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2011 | 11:44 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master

i feel your pain Brian

these softails are sure slugs in the handling dept. until you do some mods that is

( never could figure out the too low & too slow crowd who drop / slam these frames down to the ground,,, but whatever )

i've done a number of things to my fatty to help in the handling dept. such as;

installed 3" extended boards ( extended 3" forward,, NOT out )
raised the preload on the rear suspension
running a taller profile car tire on the rear
2" over front forks

scoot now has more ground clearance ( lean angle ) than the dressers, & i routinely out run 'em in the twisties here

took hwy 4 coming back from street vibrations this year ( which runs thru the back side of Yosemite & is as twisty as they come ) was running with a new Beemer, was right with him all the way,,, couldn't pass him,, but he couldn't pull away either

don't take the comments about selling it & buying a sportbike to heart,, most of these guys ( & gals ) have no clue as to what the true capabilities of these softies truly are, ( & most could truly care less cause they're garage queens,, or they just ride em,, ( too low,, & too slow mind you ) down to their local barstool

Quick Reply: Boards are killin' me!