Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boards are killin' me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011 | 09:39 PM
2WHEELFEVER
Tourer

i had the same problem, (came from street bikes also/still ride them) ive since added a shotgun shock and a 21'' front rim and it helps alot but they still drag when im really having fun

Old 11-06-2011 | 09:43 PM
Mathis
Tourer

Originally Posted by BrianG
OK, granted that this is my first Harley Davidson in 44 years of motorcycling, and granted that I just got off a Ducati and got the Harley, but c'mon!

I just acquired a pretty little smokey-gold/black 2004 Heritage Classic with 20k miles on her. She's a lot more nimble than I thought she'd be but geeeeez, Louise, she won't go around corners!
Why did you buy a Heritage?

Did you ride it before buying it?

It doesn't sound like cruising is your "thing".

Old 11-06-2011 | 10:00 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Raise the bike ...

... go with a taller front wheel or better yet 2"-over (or more) front fork tubes ... not sure how you'd raise the rear ... I think you'd have to shorten the shocks ...

... maybe look for some footpeg offsets ... you could install a pair on each side mounting them to lift the boards an inch ....

R/
'Chop

Old 11-06-2011 | 10:15 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

I live in the land of twisties. Replace stock floor boards with half moon and move them forward 1 1/4". Maxima 15w fork oil - heavier then stock but does not make it rough riding. With 20k miles, it should be changed anyway. Learn to ride the bike and move you azz in the seat- you lean into the turn more, push the bike out like your putting more foot pressure on the outer floor board, increasing lean angle...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/7284069-post440.html

Enjoy and experiment. These bikes are fun.

Old 11-06-2011 | 10:21 PM
shooker
Road Master

Seems like there is a limp dick little bitch that can't handle his bike postin up here.

Old 11-06-2011 | 10:28 PM
BrianG
|
Tourer

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

After reading SURFOR Chop's post I thought I'd look under the thing and see what could be done.

Guess what I discovered! A pair of shock-rod extensions! This thing has a lowering mod on it!

As it is now sub-freezing at night up here, I'll be setting to the winter mod list I had started to compile. Mods are definitely one of the great benefits of owning a Harley Davidson! Try finding mods for a Ducati superbike!!

Looks like un-lowering is the first thing on the list, and the air-ride shocks that I'm getting from Drew ought to help some as well.

17" wheels are also on the list (if I can find any laced ones), and the cam-drive upgrade with cams, pipes and some kind of tuning device should make this pretty little thing all mine.

TheTroupe:
I rode the NT through some twisties and it really handled them reasonable well. If I can get this Heritage to run like that I'll be more than happy. It looks like the NT has more rake than the Heritage, but it also has a 21" wheel. I wonder if the fork legs are any longer, too.
If the boards fold (I didn't realize that they did), I'll just make sure that there are adequate wear strips on them.

rickb and others:
I bought this bike because I've never owned a HD of any sort and I love the classic lines of the Heritage.
Also, after raising a family, my bride of 40 years has decided that she'd like to ride once again. We courted when my only wheels was a 1970 Norton Commando, so she's a veteran of the bugs and rain gang. I was hoping that I could make a competent road warrior out of this gorgeous machine, and avoid having to ride a Japanese toaster for touring.

Last edited by BrianG; 11-06-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2011 | 10:28 PM
BrianG
|
Tourer

Old 11-06-2011 | 10:31 PM
BrianG
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by shooker
Seems like there is a limp dick little bitch that can't handle his bike postin up here.
Sure is... but I don't mind that you do post up...

Welcome aboard and thanks for the useful contribution to the discussion!

Last edited by BrianG; 11-06-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2011 | 10:41 PM
shooker
Road Master

Hey man don't take it personal, you got it goin, but no big deal when you can keep up you can come down and ride with us any time.

Ride Safe.

Old 11-06-2011 | 11:29 PM
AKHD
Tourer

Lowered!?! Man, I'll BET you were having cornering issues!

Hey Brian, you still got the Duc? Take some time and post up about it in your "Garage" on here. Some of us like lookin' at all kinds of bikes. I shocked and amazed at how many "empty Garages" there are on here.

Which model Duc did you think needed more parts to choose from? I've found a near endless supply of aftermarket mods for my 'ol 996 over the years. Friendly vendors that made me some killer deals too.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

Quick Reply: Boards are killin' me!