Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley Owner - what are these drain plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011 | 02:34 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Sometimes even when I've done something before, I'll Google it to see what other people are doing; you can pick up some good tips. For instance, Google "harley softtail oil change", and you'll even get youtube videos showing how to do it. Sometimes this can be more help than the manual. Just use some common sense; I've seen some weird stuff you wouldn't want to do, too, like knocking the muffler baffles out with a big crowbar...
And that plug that was so tight to get out? It's common for plugs/bolts/screws to seize up, whether it's corrosion or temperature expansion, for example. If you put a torque wrench on that plug to see what it takes to get it out, and then put it back in with the same torque, you'll probably do some damage, especially if you put oil or grease on the plug threads before installing. You'd be lucky if all you did was strip the threads on the plug. Plugs are easy to replace, the case threads might be restorable with a helicoil, but a cracked case would be...expensive - and think of the labor to remove it.

Old 11-03-2011 | 09:29 PM
raisinbrann
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dickey
NEVER REMOVE THAT PLUG!! It has a tapered fitting, and if you overtighten it even slightly,you could strip out or crack the boss in the motor case. That plug is for performing certain test functions, and it is also used, I believe, during manufacture to machine an oil gallery that can't be accessed except through the motor case. In any event--FORGET IT EVEN EXISTS!
Dickey... thanks for your post.. okay, I screwed up.. I admit it.. please don't bash a newbie...I'm trying my best to come up to speed on this bike..

I replaced the the plug with sealant and didn't over-tighten it. Took the bike out for a 20 mile ride and no leaks.

So in the future I'll just "Forget it even exists".... why I asked the question in the first place, was to get advice from tried and true Harley drivers...so I would care for my new Harley correctly based on your extensive experience.

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Old 11-04-2011 | 12:05 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

I believe that when removed it lets out all of the Harley Mojo. Now you will need to buy at least 3 more Harley "T" Shirts to make up for this oversight on your part!

Old 11-04-2011 | 05:22 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

This is a site with exploded parts diagrams specific for your bike. Awesome.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....m_oem/hdmc.asp

Grbrown posted that link in a reply today to my 9/29/11 post on how service manual needs parts diagrams.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/693484-why-doesn-t-service-manual-have-parts-diagrams.html

Last edited by Ron750; 11-04-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: link
Old 11-04-2011 | 06:00 AM
donutsrd
Cruiser

that fitting is in the manual it took me quite some time to find it,i think it was under crankcase section, oil fittings ,not really sure cant remember will check when i get home.as mentioned forget its even there,the torque specs are listed,i think it was 12in pds but dont hold me to it,will check for the section in the manual later today

Old 11-04-2011 | 06:17 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain

Depending on how much wrenching you plan on doing to your bike, you may want to pick up a parts manual/catalogue. I bought one when I rebuilt my engine. The exploded drawings are very helpful and the part numbers are listed which makes online purchases a breeze.

Old 11-04-2011 | 08:16 AM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by roadkingharry
Depending on how much wrenching you plan on doing to your bike, you may want to pick up a parts manual/catalogue. I bought one when I rebuilt my engine. The exploded drawings are very helpful and the part numbers are listed which makes online purchases a breeze.

agreed i just get fed up with the fact u need to buy 2 books! The service manual should have better diagrams, that is just the facts. It is very poorly done with regards to that.

The manual does help a lot but it ain't what its made out to be by other members on this site that swear by it.

Old 11-04-2011 | 08:29 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Geeeeeeeeee, its there and with 40+ years of doing it usually 3 times to get it right I'm down to two now. HA

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2011 | 09:35 AM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor

Congrats on getting a new bikes and definitely get a manual book. It helps out a lot when you needed.

Old 11-04-2011 | 09:48 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by scasey
agreed i just get fed up with the fact u need to buy 2 books! The service manual should have better diagrams, that is just the facts. It is very poorly done with regards to that.

The manual does help a lot but it ain't what its made out to be by other members on this site that swear by it.
I would disagree with you. I have made mistakes with the manual but after going back and looking carefully I would kick myself for not reading it right the first time. Operator error is usually the case.

Quick Reply: New Harley Owner - what are these drain plugs?