Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM trouble codes - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011 | 10:26 PM
lh4x4
|
Extreme HDF Member
Default ECM trouble codes - What to do?

I thought the problem with the 07 FXSTC missing had went away, but it came back today.

Three codes -P0261 -P0263 - P1003

The first is front injector open-low efi
The next is rear injector open-low efi
The last is system relay contacts - low efi

What is the answer to this problem? The engine will stumble then continue on for the rest of the ride. But I don't want to venture very far from home.

What is low efi? I see that there are also codes for high efi on a list. I have no idea what either one means along with the system relay contacts fault code.

Does anyone know what the bike needs to correct this? It is an intermittent and does not do it every ride. I hate to take in an intermittent problem to the dealer without knowing just what it is and what needs to be done.

The TC96 has 7K on it and has run great. Only mods is a SE I breather and slightly less restrictive exhaust than stock.

I checked and cleaned all the grounds and the battery is very strong.

Old 11-01-2011 | 11:45 PM
CopperHead2008
Advanced

I assume you do not have a power commander installed?

System relays are about $8 from the dealer...cheaper on line.

I had same codes and similar issues but I had a PCIII installed. Once I tossed it in the garbage can all my problems went away. I just went with the Harley tuner to reprogram the ECM. Easiest way to go...

Let me know what you find out...

Old 11-02-2011 | 08:39 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

agreed, take off any fuel modification boxes first, then if it still misses (clear codes at first start) re read codes and go from there,

Old 11-02-2011 | 09:31 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

low volt codes are set by the ecm when it sees lower then expected voltage back on the reference/monitor wire. high voltage is the opposite.. at least it is in cager efi systems.. can't see a bike efi being any different.

Old 11-02-2011 | 12:36 PM
poppavein
Road Master

You might check the wiring harness to the injectors. There was a problem one time with the touring models where there wasn't enough slack and the wire was breaking.

Old 11-02-2011 | 07:14 PM
lh4x4
|
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks. Good info to start. It's put away for the winter so I will start by raising the tank to get my fat fingers in to pull the connectors to the injectors and for good measure the O2 sensors, clean and reinsert, clear codes and fire up see what happens.

Will get a new relay. Then if all fails I will load it up and haul to HD. Hope they don't take all my X-Mas money.

The only thing I noticed was it started with the late fall riding. With the oil cooler the oil was reading 175 on the oil tank gauge. Pretty cool for a HD.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-02-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2011 | 09:35 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

The "efi" simply stands for "Electronic Fuel Injection" and means the codes are in the Fuel Injection system which is telling you something you already knew. The Fuel Injectors are supposed to get Battery Positive Voltage all the time from the System Relay. The System Relay is turned On and Off by the Computer. The System Relay should be turned On by the Computer any time the Ignition Switch is On and the Security Fob is near the bike. The Computer turns the Fuel Injectors On and Off by controlling the ground side of each Fuel Injector Circuit. When the computer has the Fuel Injector turned Off (which is most of the time even when the engine is running) the computer expects to see Battery Voltage on the wire that it uses to turn the injector On. If it doesn't it sets the codes you are seeing. Because you are getting codes for both injectors the most likely cause has to be something the two injectors have in common. This pretty much rules out the wires between the Injectors and the Computer and the Injectors themselves. Because you are not reporting any other codes, such as for an Ignition Coil or Fuel Pump circuit, the most likely sources of the problem are, in the order that I would suspect them: 1.) The Yellow Wire with the Green tracer that feeds battery power to the Fuel Injectors, the Ignition Coil, the Fuel Pump Fuse from the System Relay. The following are also possible causes but because you don't have codes for the Ignition Coil or the Fuel Pump I don't think the problem will be found here: 2.) The System Relay itself, 3.) Constant Power to the System Relay (Blue wire with Gray tracer), 4.) Ignition Switched Power to the System Relay (White wire with Black tracer), or 5.) The Computer System Relay Ground Control Wire (Green wire with Orange tracer) or 6.) The 15 Ampere ECM Fuse

But mostly I suggest that you get a wiring diagram for the bike . . .