Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 locations for V&H Staggered Big Shots???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:06 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default O2 locations for V&H Staggered Big Shots???

I posted this in the Exhaust Forum (Tech) and someone suggested I post it here so everyone would have an opportunity to respond that has a Softail...............................

They also said the V&H are very much like the D&D head pipes but I have never seen D&D's..... Thanks
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've read till I'm Blue in the Face and searched the Forum until numb.... Can't seem to find a good answer for this question.

I have an '06 Deluxe with Staggered Big Shots on it therefore no O2 bungs since this is an TC88 and the year before HD started to use them. I want to add an Auto-tune system to the bike so need to put bungs in my head pipes. I contacted Vance & Hines Tech support figuring they were the experts and now put bungs in there exhausts for the "07 and later Softails. I figured they would be able to suggest a location and what to watch for.

I was extremely disappointed in their response "Unfortunately we do not have any specs or drawings available to the public, but I do know that the requirements for the Thunder Max are slightly different. I’m sure if you contact them direct you should be able to get better information as to where they go."

I expected V&H to be knowledgeable since they have bungs for '07 and up on their Big Shots for softails......................................

I have not yet contacted ThunderMax but that is on my list if someone on the Forum has not done this install already. I know the "older" O2 sensors are heat activated and need to be within 8 in of the exhaust port (I assume the closer the better) and need to be mounted so as to not collect moisture. I also know the ThunderMax wideband sensors are longer than most Factory sensors.

Anybody got any pictures or suggestions they can share???

Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is on my V&H short shots, but must be the same

Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM
chiefe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added them on my ride for the Tmax and I also have V&H Big Shots. I used angled bungs both front and rear. Here is a video.
Cheers!
http://youtu.be/QfvPV8fawio

Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM
chiefe
Tourer

I added them on my ride for the Tmax and I also have V&H Big Shots. I used angled bungs both front and rear. Here is a video.
Cheers!
http://youtu.be/QfvPV8fawio

Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 AM
TXSailor
Road Captain

Thanks. I have been thinking about angled for both front and back. Did you put them so they angled "up" towards the port, "Down" towards the tip of the pipe or ????? ?

Kozy22 - I notice you used a straight bung (which I have also considered at least for the front) but from the picture I can't tell which pipe this is (front Cylinder or back).

I'm not sure there is one "optimum" location and "style" which is the reason I thought V&H , with all their R&D, would have a suggestion for '07 and up that use their pipes. I could then try that.......

LoneStar Rally is this weekend in Galveston so maybe I can spot some example there.....

Thanks again for the help and if there are any others with "expereince" or just opinions, I'll take all the info I can get.....

Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 PM
chiefe
Tourer

I'll take some pics tomorrow and give you some dimensions as well.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain

That would be great. I stopped by a local HD dealer and looked at a bunch of bikes. Found an '05 Heritage that had a V&H Short Shot system on it with bungs. They were plugged of course but it appears that the bungs were "factory" and were both angled bungs about 3 in from the Exhaust ports. Couldn't tell if the larger/longer O2 sensors would have cleared everything.

Also found an '07 with a similar set up but with Factory O2 sensors (the short ones). They were also angled bungs but the rear was in a slightly lower position and I'm sure it would be tough to get a longer sensor in the way it was mounted.

So far it looks like:

1) Angled Bungs are the way to go &
2) will have to be extremely careful w/ rear positioning &
3) the front sensor will be very, very ugly stuck out there on the front end!!!!

Anybody ever seen a chrome slip cover for O2 sensors??????

Thanks to all for the help, D

Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 PM
chiefe
Tourer

Zippers recomends no more than 6" from the heads, my install is about 3" from the curve of the pipe. Pick one and two are front and three and four are rear. When I mocked it up I removed the coil and seat post to do the rear.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-02-2011, 10:31 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain

Thanks for the extra effort. Good thought on the Seat post and coil. Had not thought about doing that but it would certainly make it much easier. Front is a piece of cake of course.

One final question ( makes me feel a bit stupid as well). The bungs are available in mild steel and 304 Stainless. I just assumed Stainless was the way to go due to the heat and corrosion issues but I held a magnet up to the pipes and they appear to be a mild steel that has been coated.

I don't have access to a TIG (couldn't use one if I did - not that good a welder) so will have to take the pipes somewhere. See any issues using a 304 bung on a mild steel pipe????

Thanks again, D

Old 11-02-2011, 10:33 PM
TXSailor
Road Captain

btw - the links to the imagines did not get posted even though they showed up (not working) in my e-mail alert.

Quick Reply: O2 locations for V&H Staggered Big Shots???