Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove Blackline tail light?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011 | 11:41 PM
Nooovie
|
Advanced
Default How to remove Blackline tail light?

Hey guys, I got my Road 6 tail light bracket for my Blackline and my Model A tail light the other day, so I want to remove the factory tail light from the rear fender. I've removed the 4 bolts on the sides of the fender, but still can't get it out. Did you guys have to take off the rear wheel to get at it and get it out?

Also, I want to make a wire extension that will plug into the OEM cartridge in the wiring harness and run it to the new side mounted tail light. Does anyone know what kind of connector I should order? (The kind and how many pins, and pattern). I guess I'll find out after I manage to pull it out, but figured I'd ask and maybe get a jump on the shipping time. Anyone know of a good source for the cartridges?

Thanks for any info...

Old 11-01-2011 | 02:16 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

I checked mine out in anticipation of adding a side mount. It appears to me that if you remove the two bolts located under the rear of the fender (they go directly into the plate mount) and snip the connector end, the whole thing will come right on out without removing the fender struts or even loosening them up.
I could be wrong, but when I tinkered with it briefly I loosened those two bolts and the whole shabangabang started wiggling freely which leads me to believe that it would have dropped out quite easily if I would have removed the bolts entirely and snipped the wire close the the connector end.

Old 11-01-2011 | 08:07 AM
dortiz
Road Captain

Thats correct. The dealer did mine but I have the pieces here and they snipped the wire.

Attached Thumbnails How to remove Blackline tail light?-dscn0440.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011 | 03:18 PM
Nooovie
|
Advanced

Thanks for the response guys. I got as far as making it wiggle after I disconnected the 2 screws that attach it to the metal bracket but I guess it's being held in by the wiring harness.

Now, I'm trying to avoid having to snip that wiring harness and would like to disconnect the tail light at the connector and then buying the corresponding connector and making an extension to the side mounted tail light. I've built and modded bikes in the past, and don't mind snipping and rewiring but am thinking this bike is still under warranty, so I would rather not.

So, after reading a TON of posts on several forums, I found out that most connectors on Harleys are AMP connectors like this one...

and some are Deutsch water tight connectors like this one

Since info for the Blackline is still pretty scarce on the net (and I haven't managed to take things apart) I am guessing the Blackline might use the same Deutsch 12 pin connector like the Rocker? Just guessing.

Does anybody have the 2011 Softail Parts book? I would love to know the part number for the tail section/tail light connector part number... It would greatly help me out with my non-snip mission...

Old 08-14-2012 | 09:37 PM
Chrisw
Stage III

I live in Alberta and am having the exact same issue. I don't want to snip the wires. Why do something half *** when it's not much more work to do it right. Any chance you figured out what connector it was? And where'd you source it?

And ya, I know. Thread revival! I can't PM yet...

Old 08-15-2012 | 05:31 AM
einnebnosnibor
Advanced

you have to remove the fender bolts out of the struts as well or you will have that ugly heavy chunk of metal sticking out of you rear fender. Be carefull as to not scratch your fender in the process.

Old 08-15-2012 | 08:23 AM
Joseph296
Novice

Yes u have to remove the 4 big torx on the fender struts and the only
Way to Remove the wire is to cut the connector off but u cut on the plate
Frame side not the bike side so Doesent really matter since you are removing it perememtly