Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for an advice on Fat Boy Lo 2012

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Bader
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for an advice on Fat Boy Lo 2012

Hi guys .. I'm new here and happy to be with you .. I just finished my Ride course and got my license .. so the next step is buying a bike .. mainly looking for Softail Fat Boy Lo "black denim" .. I'm looking for a new one or a used like a new
My questions or concerns are:
1. Is this kind of bike reliable?
2. Is the heat that come out from the engine annoying?!!
3. Do you think the ABS Breaks system is necessary for this kind of motorcycle?
4. is the price negotiable with HD dealers? and for how much?
5. how I can asses the value of a used one? ex. in cars we got some approximation from Kelley Blue Book?
6. Do you think the black denim is popular between Fatboy Lo fans " just in case if i want to sell it"? if not what is the most popular color?
7. is the difference between the engine of 2011 and 2012 significant? and worth to just consider 2012?

note that I was planning and saving to ride for more than five years? and when I buy the bike am going to use it for at least 5 yrs.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bader
Hi guys .. I'm new here and happy to be with you .. I just finished my Ride course and got my license .. so the next step is buying a bike .. mainly looking for Softail Fat Boy Lo "black denim" .. I'm looking for a new one or a used like a new
1. Is this kind of bike reliable? yes
2. Is the heat that come out from the engine annoying?!! Dunno
3. Do you think the ABS Breaks system is necessary for this kind of motorcycle? not for me
4. is the price negotiable with HD dealers? and for how much? a little bit but this depends on dealers
5. how I can asses the value of a used one? ex. in cars we got some approximation from Kelley Blue Book? KBB or NADA
6. Do you think the black denim is popular between Fatboy Lo fans " just in case if i want to sell it"? if not what is the most popular color? Get the color you want, forget about resale rarely will a person get teh money they want for their bike when selling used. The dealer will insist that Harley's hold their value, but try taking a sued bike back to the same dealer a few months later and see what they offer you.
7. is the difference between the engine of 2011 and 2012 significant? and worth to just consider 2012? The engine is the same for 2011 and 2012.

note that I was planning and saving to ride for more than five years? and when I buy the bike am going to use it for at least 5 yrs.
My advice is buy a used bike and save a ton. I have never bought a new bike in my life as I see it as a waste of money due to all of the low mileage bikes for sale. I have never bought from a dealer either.

Drew

Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts
Angry fatboy lo

i have the 2010 harley fatboy lo vivid black nice bike, buy new less headackes

Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Yes
2. No
3. Matter of opinion
4. Yes, figure 10-15%
5. Kbb or look on Craigslist, take $2k off what dealer asks to start
6. Don't worry about resale get what you like
7. 96 for 2011 103 for 2012 haven't tried a 103 so can't help

I'd look for a 2010 or 2011 with low miles

Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5. how I can asses the value of a used one? ex. in cars we got some approximation from Kelley Blue Book?
6. Do you think the black denim is popular between Fatboy Lo fans " just in case if i want to sell it"? if not what is the most popular color?
7. is the difference between the engine of 2011 and 2012 significant? and worth to just consider 2012?

1. It's as reliable as the amount you care for it
2. No, only in the summer sitting in stopped traffic
3. Some people swear by it, i've never been on a bike with ABS, but I don't think i'd need it
4. Yes, but not as much as if you'd buy a leftover 2011
5. The Lo's are only 2 years old, so the price of a used is relative to a bike that's 2 years old..just gotta look around the web, get estimates from what you see.. a 2010 stock should go for around $11-13k now max, and a 2011 stock should go for around $13-14k now maximum
6. the black Denim is popular, but each color is only as desirable as the person who desires it.. can't really answer that because it's really to each his own
7. the TC103 is still choked by HD, just like the TC96 is.. if you negotiate a 2011 to a good price, get the heads ported and throw a set of cams in there and you'll have power to meet or exceed the TC103. Similarly, if you get a 2012 with the TC103.. still get the heads ported at least to open her up a little bit more.

My 2010 Lo is my baby.. Her name is Lola. i treat her with love and care and she treats me well in return. I plan on keeping her until she either explodes or something worse happens..knock on wood.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts
Smile

nice wright up

Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 AM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. yes as long as it's maintained.. just like any other vehicle
2. no, and less so after new pipes and remapped ECM
3. I don't see a need for ABS.. my .02
4. I paid MSRP with no dealer fees
5. not sure, but the Lo is still new so you won't save a ton on a used one
6. LOVE the black denim.. just bought another HD, a street bob in black denim also
7. open up the 96 or the 103 with intake, pipes, and ECM change.. then cams later... won't be a huge difference between the 2.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For a used one check the classified in this forum, I know they are at least two for sale and they have a lot of upgrades ur going to do anyway. You could save money and time. If ur gonna buy new wait till around Dec or Jan dealers are looking to deal then Good luck.