Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Oil Change Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a shop manual, but it was not very clear about the location of the Trans plug. Makes sense now after the fact. Thanks for the help

Old 10-19-2011, 12:29 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2006FLST
Make sure you check your oil level (not sure how much you got out of the case plug) and keep an eye on that case plug to ensure it does not leak. If it does leak try some teflon or loctite thread sealer on it.

And 2nd on the shop manual. I cannot remember the torque on that case plug but DO NOT over tighten it.
I did put some Teflon on it when it put it back in. Hardly any fluid came out of the sump. I still need to check the engine oil level with the bike warmed up as I never got to that point. I am guessing that sump just draws its oil from there?

Old 10-19-2011, 12:40 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should be fine then. Just check it like you said and keep an eye on that plug.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:06 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakthi
You pulled the one on the sump. As said above, tranny plug is the one between the shocks.
Check this thread, older bike, but plug still in same place.

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.GEARBOX.HTML

+1 on this site, show all the oil changes, just back up to home page and pick U choice.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, be careful putting the trans plug back in. It is easy to cross thread it since you can't really see it between the shocks. I use a deep socket on a short extension to install mine. That way, you can feel it thread all the way in before tightening it down. I have several friends that have had thiers stripped by boneheads who were in a hurry.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:22 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Much different than doing my old Honda oil change. At least i don't think I messed up anything with my first time learning experience. From here on out should be simple

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 350 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakthi
You pulled the one on the sump. As said above, tranny plug is the one between the shocks.
Check this thread, older bike, but plug still in same place.

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.GEARBOX.HTML

Thanks for posting this link, everything you need is here, also very easy to follow. I did buy him a beer for his tutorial..

Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
raggmann
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayvis
Also, be careful putting the trans plug back in. It is easy to cross thread it since you can't really see it between the shocks. I use a deep socket on a short extension to install mine. That way, you can feel it thread all the way in before tightening it down. I have several friends that have had thiers stripped by boneheads who were in a hurry.
Sorry to revive an old thread but I need some advise.
I bought my bike Feb 2012 and the 1st thing I did was give it a complete service.
Last month I drained all the fluids and refilled to put it away for the winter.
The trans drain plug almost felt as though it wanted to strip. It was "soft" for lack of a better term and I've been stressed about it since.
It's not leaking while parked but is there a different plug I can re-tap the hole for instead of the ORB factory plug? Just incase it IS stripped. Do they normally feel "soft" when seating?
I deal in hydraulic stuff pretty much daily in my job but I want input from guys that have owned Harley's.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Did you replace the o-ring? Just wondering if you didn't, the old one may have split and give a "soft" feel. I have resorted to using an Allen wrench to make sure I get mine started straight. I couldn't get a good feel with a socket.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM
raggmann
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I must admit I did not.
I was too impatient to let the bike sit till I went to work the next day where I could have grabbed a dozen o-rings just to have on hand

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil Change Issue