Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kickstand down switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingHellas
still waiting for the parts - 2 weeks now I cannot use the bike ....

Rakthi , do you know how to bypass the switch ? - is it difficult ?
If it is a 2 wire switch than it is easily bypassed. Then you need to verify if it normally open or normally closed. Jump the 2 pins with a paperclip to see if that does it. If its a 3 wire its more difficult but do able.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I have attached some info from the electrical manual ... hopefully this is enough to work it out.

You got 3 wires in there, the red/white is powered by the ECM (5 volts), that one is in Pin #1 (marked on the plugs), then you have the green/brown wire wich is the one from the sensor (pin #2) and black/green one is the ground one (pin #3)

I have no idea which wire you will have to connect ... Simplest would be to put bike in gear with sidestand out, so you got sidestand message on odometer and then just try out different combinations until message disappears.

Attached Thumbnails Kickstand down switch-4.32.jpg   Kickstand down switch-4.31.jpg  

Last edited by Rakthi; 11-15-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:19 AM
jackstrr
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WOW a kickstand switch. I did not know about those. It seems pretty funny to me. About 10 years ago, I did see a sportster, racing its owner across a tavern parking lot one night. The sporty won the race to the lamp post. Still makes me laugh. Maybe they should have one for GAS caps too!?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 PM
RoadKingHellas
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rakthi,

what do you mean by which wire to connect ? lets say if you know which wire is the correct one how do you connect it and were ?

Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '09' Heritage has a hole near the kickstand but no switch. I'm glad it's not there. I can manage that part of the ride.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RoadKingHellas
Hi Rakthi,

what do you mean by which wire to connect ? lets say if you know which wire is the correct one how do you connect it and were ?

Since your side stand switch is toast anyway, just cut it off, strip of about 1 cm of the insulation of the wires and just twist the right ones together, finish off with some electrical tape to prevent a short.

You could also use U-shaped pieces of wire you insert into the plug where the switch would plug in. Once you got the right set up, just tape it until you get replacement switch.

All you need to do really is close the circuit at a for you convenient place without massacring the main harness.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:22 AM
RoadKingHellas
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man thanks for your feedback !

ok what I have done so far is :

- took out the switch
- cut off the 3 cables from the housing
- strip the insultation
-twist cables together - tried different combinations but with no sucess on making the error disappearing ..
*while trying this I had the sidestand down and ignition button On*

is this right ? any other ideas of what else to try ?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Looks like you did what you are supposed to do. Scratching my head here ... if you tried all possible combos, that means the fault is not in the side stand switch but in the TSM module or neutral switch as according to the blurb I attached previously that switch communicates with some other sensors on the bike ...

The side switch fault section of the electrical manual is about 5 pages, 3 with flowcharts of tests to run, but you need a break out box to run those tests ...

At this point I would place a call into the service department ... maybe someone there knows how to bypass that switch ...

Also if you read that blurb the last paragraph goes on about the fail enable mode which would allow the engine to run if the systems detects a fault in the circuit ... Maybe mention that too to the service guy. I mean cutting off the switch would be considered a fault in the circuit in my book ...

Last edited by Rakthi; 11-16-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm looking for a safety warning that won't let you lean your bike over if you don't have the kickstand down (don't ask...)

Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 PM
trnman32
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah that works and my most recent method was a buddy yelling hey dumba$$

I ride with the same kind of damn friends!!!

Quick Reply: Kickstand down switch