Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce Owners,Need Help With Rear Tire Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Deuce Owners,Need Help With Rear Tire Options

A friend has an 04 Deuce and is ready for tires, front and rear. Looking at the rear, it looks like a 180 may clear (160 OEM) and possibly needing some die grinder work on the belt guard for better clearance. Maybe even on the right side of the swing arm where a mass of steel is. I don't know what this area is called and it doesn't appear to function as anything. With that said, is a 180 possible? Those of you with the Deuce, what are you running. Will the front support an up size by one?

Old 10-16-2011, 07:36 AM
ChileMike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 03 Deuce and am running the SE 180 with the Vulcan kit, actually all I used from the kit were the spacers and bought the longer chrome pulley bolts. No clearance probs...some will fit others rub a bit with no mods. I think a 90/90 is the biggest u can go upfront. Some are running the Pirelli Night Dragon 180 on the rear.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:47 AM
oo deuce
Intermediate

Well if your interest in put down some money you can get a 200 in there. I did the swap piecing it together. There is a thread about this do a search you will find a lot of info.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:23 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChileMike
I have an 03 Deuce and am running the SE 180 with the Vulcan kit, actually all I used from the kit were the spacers and bought the longer chrome pulley bolts. No clearance probs...some will fit others rub a bit with no mods. I think a 90/90 is the biggest u can go upfront. Some are running the Pirelli Night Dragon 180 on the rear.

CM
What is this "Vulcan" kit? Dealer item? What are the spacers for? Why would you need longer pulley bolts, are the spacers used on the pulley for belt alignment?

Also, are yo also saying just a swap to a 180 may fit, with no kit?

Old 10-16-2011, 05:52 PM
ChileMike
Intermediate

Yes, the spacers are to move the wheel over 1/8" and the pulley over to keep it aligned. I did not use the big plate, that bolts to the outside of the pulley, some do. When you put the spacer under the pulley you lose a few threads going in the wheel. Yes, I've read on this and other forums some guys just put the SE 180 on with no mods at all. I don't think I would of had the clearance in my case. I have about 2 credit cards of clearance with the chrome lower belt guard.

http://vulcanworks.net/Deuce-180mm-W...Kit-p-392.html

Old 10-16-2011, 06:46 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

So the Vulcan Kit is strictly for clearance purposes. It looks like a 180 will fit just by cleaning up the belt guard. Vulcan Kit is food for thought. I will imagine the Vulcan kit is designed for the tire to move over to the right side for clearance of the belt guard on the left. What are your thoughts? I appreciate your time and input.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:41 PM
ChileMike
Intermediate

Exactly, the kit moves the wheel over 1/8" towards the caliper side and the pulley to the other side to compensate. I guess it's easy enough to fabricate but for 60 bucks it was worth it to me.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running Avons, Venom in the front and Sport touring in back. the rear is a 160 but is as wide as a 180. Been excellent tires to run the twisties in WV. Don't know what else you would really need.

Attached Thumbnails Deuce Owners,Need Help With Rear Tire Options-avon-002.jpg   Deuce Owners,Need Help With Rear Tire Options-avon-004.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 11:53 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks CM, you've been of great help!

2deuce

Is there a way you can measure the width of your rear Venom, from the outside edges of your tire and post that measurement? Heck, if he can get a 160 that equals a 180 in width, that would sound like a no brainer and no hassle..

Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The closest I can get without calipers looks like 6 1/2". My original statement was based on I had a trailer with lipped rails for the tires. One of my bikes at the time had a Metzler 881, 180 tire on the rear. The tire was tight on the rails. Later in time, I loaded up the Deuce with the Avon 160 and it was just as tight. That's about as scientific as I get!! If you go to the Avon website, there might be more information availible.

Quick Reply: Deuce Owners,Need Help With Rear Tire Options