Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time swapping exhaust. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011 | 09:50 PM
Skeezmachine
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default First time swapping exhaust. Any advice?

Hey Gang,

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to swap out the stock exhaust on my 2008 Crossbones for a Supertrapp 2:1 with fishtail. I have the complete exhaust system ready as well as a new set of Screamin' Eagle exhaust port gaskets.

If you guys have any tips or suggestions for someone who has never done an exhaust before I would really appreciate it.

I want to try and get this mod done tomorrow as well as a couple other mods so that I can take a ride to Biketoberfest in Daytona on Sunday.

Thanks,

Skeez

Old 10-14-2011 | 09:58 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Default pipes

Sounds like you are ready. Have done mine a couple times. Just take your time. Make sure you get all the old gasket is out and don't over tighten the exhaust bolts. Run them for a while and check the bolts again.

Old 10-14-2011 | 10:06 PM
Branner
Road Warrior

Honestly? Have fun with it! This is a basic addition/modification. Enjoy yourself. You WILL be happy with the outcome.

Old 10-14-2011 | 10:19 PM
2006FLST
Road Master

Take your time. Use some antiseize on the exhaust studs. As you equally tighten the nuts at the heads make sure the support bracket at the rear does not bind and you can torque it down without pulling or binding the exhaust (use shims if needed)

As mentioned above it is not hard at all and do not over tighten at the head studs. But remember to check after riding a while. Also try not to smile when you first start it up.

Old 10-14-2011 | 10:24 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

The hardest part of changing my exhaust was putting in the new gaskets. I had read on the forum that they don't exactly just slip into place, so I was prepared to be patient, but I still had to walk away and come back 10 minutes later and finish pushing them into place. If I hadn't read about them I would have assumed they were just a bit too big in diameter. I finally put a little grease around them and they slipped in okay.
It's a bit harder lining up a 2 into 1 to the exhaust ports, but I didn't have much problem with that.
I ended up using a pencil and sticking the rear lower exhaust nut onto the eraser end so I could get it started on the stud. There was no way I could put that nut on with my fingers.
I think part of the problem was that the heat shield wasn't notched back enough to give me the clearance I needed.
I tightened the exhaust nuts just a bit past snug, then rechecked them a few times later after putting some miles on the bike.
I pre-assembled my exhaust on the floor to see how good it fit. my heat shields (for my Fat Cat) needed to be loosened and tapped aft, about 3/16", to fully cover the weld at the collector end.
I wouldn't have been able to do this once the exhaust was installed.
Tom

Old 10-14-2011 | 10:30 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Ratchet with a wobbly extension for the flange nuts. For teh front lower nut I use either a 1/2 wrench or a small ratchet with a socket. Take your time and enjoy. It is always nice to have a few extra flange nuts around just in case. I have had more than a few disappear never to be seen again.

Drew

Old 10-14-2011 | 10:49 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Hi Skeez,

Here is a link to the installation instructions:
http://www.supertrapp.com/images/pdfs/003-7170.pdf

If you look at point 4 they recommend to use the cone shaped gaskets!

So if you still have time I would go to dealer to see if they have a set of those.

Don't know how important this is for the install.

Have fun with the install, after all the stuff you did on your bike this will be a breeze! Those pipes will look great!

Old 10-14-2011 | 11:29 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior

As others have said, patience is a virtue. Take your time and don't force anything.

And most important of all..... take pics when you're done.

Old 10-14-2011 | 11:56 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

[QUOTE=DR. V-TWIN;89344 I have had more than a few disappear never to be seen again.

Drew[/QUOTE]

from cali to chicago where are they all? in a vaccum of time and space?

Old 10-15-2011 | 08:06 AM
hdmike1969
Tourer

be patient...
read over your instructions a few times before you start...
turn on your tunes...
get dirty...
feel good about what you just did...
check all your bolts again...
then start your bike and smile...

Quick Reply: First time swapping exhaust. Any advice?