Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time swapping exhaust. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011 | 08:16 AM
purecountry13b
Tourer

I have nothing else to add, except to +1 on pics when you get done!

Old 10-15-2011 | 10:50 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Ratchet with a wobbly extension for the flange nuts. For teh front lower nut I use either a 1/2 wrench or a small ratchet with a socket. Take your time and enjoy. It is always nice to have a few extra flange nuts around just in case. I have had more than a few disappear never to be seen again.

Drew
When I got the gaskets I also picked up new flange nuts.
Then when I was installing the exhaust, a few years ago, I dropped one of the flange nuts and never did find it. I was concerned that the nut would end up wedged in my drive belt or somewhere else that might cause damage, so I looked and looked, but finally concluded that it must have fell into another dimension.
Tom

Old 10-15-2011 | 11:55 AM
TheTroupe
Road Master

+1 on the standard cone gaskets and extra flange nuts.

I ran into a problem with mine in the header not slipping into the muffler properly. WE have to cut 1/4 inch of of the end of the header.

Old 10-15-2011 | 06:21 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't express how important using anti-seize on the head studs is (as someone else mentioned).

Old 10-15-2011 | 11:19 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Take caution as with some exhaust systems the Screaming Eagle gaskets will not seal. The cone gaskets have always worked for me.

Old 10-17-2011 | 01:35 PM
Skeezmachine
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for every single bit of advice. Regrettably, not only was I not able to get around to the install this weekend but I also never made it to Daytona. I probably could have tackled it but as some of you have stated (and I know all to well) I did not want to rush anything. Not only was there the install but test riding, checking everything and tuning the muffler were all going to eat away at my weekend. Lots to do since I also needed to do some electrical for my lights and horn, and she needed a good detailing.

Thanks to Rakthi for the instructions. As always, you are a great help! I was able to secure a set of the recommend gaskets and upon seeing them, I wondered exactly what the advantages of the Screamin' Eagles are since the stock style ones seem to be more capable of sealing properly.

At any rate, I have what I need now and should be able to make a go at it as soon as I have another free Saturday.

Thanks again to everyone.

Old 10-17-2011 | 03:09 PM
CJinNH
Cruiser

One of the most frustrating things I've done is deal with those friggin exhaust gaskets... but thankfully this site prepared me for it. I used a large socket with an extension to evenly push the gasket into the rear port...thought I was going to destroy it, but it finally went. I got new flanges and bolts off ebay...made everything shiny-like brand new....reminds I should check to see if they loosened up over the summer.

Old 10-17-2011 | 03:33 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

The biggest issue for me was the O2 Sensors........could not get them to back out. The heat and torque over time had them in the pipes pretty tight. If you can get to them spay some liquid wrench on them the night before you start tearing things down and it should make it easier to back them out. I ended up cutting mine off and replacing the whole cable/sensor. Not that big a deal just a few more bucks than I thought I was going to spend.