Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New deuce rider w sore legs looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006 | 05:14 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Default RE: New deuce rider w sore legs looking for advice

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Its like riding a horse.

You will get past it. I have the same problem when it first gets cold and I put my chaps on... They catch the wind a little better, and my legs have to beef up just a bit to hold in place.

I wouldn't do anything drastic yet. Just give it a few weeks and see first.
I have a 30" as well, but am 6'02.

I agree with Rhubarb. I had muscle fatigue and soreness on the inside of my right thigh, my butt and a few other places but it all went away after 500 miles or so because I got used to the riding position and the seat and everything broke in. I can ride it all day now without any strain or soreness.

I wouldn't spend any money or make any changes until you have put some miles and time on it. Then...if you are having problems maybe a change is in order. Enjoy and congrats on the new bike!

Rick

Old 11-27-2006 | 10:52 AM
2deuce
Road Master

I've had the Mustang wide vintage seat on both my Deuce's and as a 30 incher, it's been real comfortable. My two longest days were 13 and 18 hours...... no discomfort or soreness. You also may have to build up them ridin' muscles !

Old 11-27-2006 | 12:24 PM
PhatTrain
Cruiser

I agree with the other guys I am 5'6" with a 29 inseam (ok Im short) forward controls are not the answer. I had a set on my bike and I couldnt even reach the shifter, so dont waste your money there. My bike is even wide with the primary moved out 1 1/2 inches and those Yaffe pipes. I think in time you will get used to it and be fine.

Old 11-27-2006 | 08:10 PM
2deuce
Road Master

To Rjl2

Bob, You may want to try the pull back bars on your Deuce to relieve that neck and upper back strain.

Old 11-27-2006 | 08:20 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

You gotta remember, when you start any new physical activity, your body is going to complain a little. Even riding is a physical activity. You're using muscles that you might not have been using before, thus the muscle stiffness or aches. This will pass as your body become accustomed to it. If you don't find any relief after a period of time, then perhaps you should look into your body posture. Is your seat or your handle bars the right ones for your body structure. You might have to experiment a little to find the right combination of factors to allow for total pleasurable ride.

Old 11-27-2006 | 08:31 PM
Xenarchi
|
Advanced

I'm not new to riding just new to the deuce. I about 8k on a Roadstar Warrior this year. I didn't have any trouble with my legs just my back between my shoulders. Thanks for the great advice I will wait until I have some more time in the saddle before I make major changes.

Old 11-27-2006 | 08:35 PM
jakblu
Advanced

Where you in stop and go traffic? Is your feet flat when you come to a stop or are you on your toes? Maybe lowering[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 11-27-2006 | 09:03 PM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

I hadn't ridden for some years when I bought my Heritage Softail Classic last year. For a while, I almost despared of ever getting comfortable on it. I'm 5'10" and have a 29" inseam. (short legs!). I installed a rear lowering kit and dropped the rear 1 inch. I bought a LePera Monterey solo seat which lowered me about an inch and moved me forward some as well. This helped a lot. Then I adjusted the handlebars more forward, which made an enormous difference. It felt awkward at first, but I can ride now for hours without any discomfort. Before, I would have serious back pain after a half hour or so.

But I often wonder if maybe I should have just waited about six months until my body got used to the machine. I think that was the real problem all the time.

Old 11-27-2006 | 11:24 PM
Deuce440
6th Gear

I am also a new rider with 350 miles on a Deuce. I experienced (am experiencing) the same symptoms. I have noticed that it is gradually getting less noticeable. Thanks all for the suggestions

Old 11-28-2006 | 12:27 AM
Xenarchi
|
Advanced

Feet are flat the seat height relative to the ground is no problem. I am use to my feet being a little lower relative to the seat. It is amazing what a difference an inch or two makes.
ORIGINAL: jakblu

Where you in stop and go traffic? Is your feet flat when you come to a stop or are you on your toes? Maybe lowering[sm=confused06.gif]