Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What prep work for storing my bike in my garage over winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011 | 09:25 AM
hogowner69
Road Master

I am on Long Island...so my winters are like yours....

Besides the tender and STA-BIL.....I also have a "heat stick"......It is about 18 inches long and it gets "hot" to the touch....I clean and wax the bike and put a cover over it in my shed (not heated)...The heat stick draws the moisture and condensation on to the heat stick and not on the bike....works great......until I ride again

Old 10-31-2011 | 09:50 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hogowner69
I am on Long Island...so my winters are like yours....

Besides the tender and STA-BIL.....I also have a "heat stick"......It is about 18 inches long and it gets "hot" to the touch....I clean and wax the bike and put a cover over it in my shed (not heated)...The heat stick draws the moisture and condensation on to the heat stick and not on the bike....works great......until I ride again
Never heard of that! I am going to google it......

Old 10-31-2011 | 11:18 AM
inaroush
Road Captain

I also live on Long Island, also keeping mine non heated shed.

Fill up with Fuel, add some stabilizer. I dont bother changing oil just make sure it is proper level. I change it in the spring so I ride with fresh oil (6 one way, half a dozen the other) Make sure tires are proper pressure. Battery Tender.

CLEAN IT!! WAX Paint and CHROME!!!!

Make sure there are no bags of Weed Killer etc anywhere near the bike. It actually promotes corrosion - I kid you not.

Put a piece of wood (Flat plywood) or rubber under the kick stand so it is not directly on the cement

I put my bike in an inflatable vinyl bubble that exchanges the air every 3-4 hours and prevents anything from falling on it (cost me $125 on ebay)

Treat the seat and any other leather with a good conditioner.

I do not fog my motor, see no need for it personally.

Above all else do not START it unless you intend on riding it for a good amount of time. Otherwise the moisture and condensation will develop quite rapidly and ruin the chrome etc.

Last edited by inaroush; 10-31-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2011 | 02:16 PM
NH Marcus
Cruiser

Originally Posted by studiopeg
Thanks everyone, and just in time! When I left the shop to bring my bike home, it was not snowing. It's only a 15 minute ride.... (and yes I had about 7 layers on I am not that fat!)

Peg, I am just a few minutes north of you... Scrambled to get my bikes into their garage Saturday afternoon, literally just before the snow. I had planned on riding a few more weeks.

Plow-able snow before Halloween... Crazy! Still cooking on the grill and waiting for power! God bless those line workers!

Old 12-15-2011 | 02:08 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

OK so my bike is cleaned and waxed and the Sea Foam preservative is in the tank, run through the engine, the tank is filled to the top, and the bike is on blocks of wood in the corner of the garage with the battery tender attached.

And now I have to ride it up to a shop where it will spend a few weeks while a fiberglass seat pan is made for it (was going to do this in Spring but the seat maker wants to do it over the winter).

So I assume when I get it back I just put more Sea Foam in and run it through then top off the tank and put her back in storage?

Old 12-15-2011 | 03:48 PM
shineybike
Road Captain

Depends on how far you have to ride it. If it's just few miles, just top it off on the way home. If more add the seafoam and gas ibn the right proportion. Since the fuel in teh system already has seafopam in it, you might not have to run more thru. I'd be more bummed about the prospect of it getting filthy on the ride there and back and having to clean everything again.

Old 12-15-2011 | 11:33 PM
alika808
Tourer

Originally Posted by hogowner69
i am on long island...so my winters are like yours....

Besides the tender and sta-bil.....i also have a "heat stick"......it is about 18 inches long and it gets "hot" to the touch....i clean and wax the bike and put a cover over it in my shed (not heated)...the heat stick draws the moisture and condensation on to the heat stick and not on the bike....works great......until i ride again
i was just told that at the hd dealership the other day good to hear it from somebody other then those *****

Old 12-15-2011 | 11:45 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior

I just put a dehumidifier in my garage, I don't think its the cold you gotta worry about, its the damp, this thing pulls about a pint a day from the air, I'm real pleased.

Old 12-16-2011 | 07:24 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Before I pulled it into my lower basement, I had it in the garage and the humidity on a rainy/wet day put a fog of moisture all over my bike. Not good. Glad to have it in the warm dry basement.

Old 12-19-2011 | 11:04 AM
Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by studiopeg
I don't trust out local HD dealership anymore to store my bike over the winter.

I have a 2-car attached garage with a family room above it. It does get cold but does retain some warmth from the rest of the house. But temperatures in Mass can get down to 10 degrees or less in the worst of winter.

What do I need to know to store the bike in the garage?

I have a battery tender ready to go. I also know that I should fill the tank to capacity to have no air in it. But what else?

Thanks!!
My wife just started a new Newsletter - especially designed for women. Real Women and Motorcycles. Just so happens, her lasted issue has a great article written by a female mechanic on what to do with your bike over the winter - from if you can ride it occasionally, to totally winterizing it.

I'm a Biker And I'm Singing The Winter Time Blues

Check it out! When you sign up for the free Newsletter, you also receive a Complimentary Copy of "How To Pack For a 3 Week Motorcycle Trip".

By the way, there is still time to receive Brukus products by Christmas! JUST DON'T DELAY! Click on the HDForum Discount link below for 10% off!

And wishing you a MERRY Christmas and healthy, happy and prosperous 2012!