Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What prep work for storing my bike in my garage over winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011 | 05:08 PM
JonW
Road Warrior

After you put Stabil in the tank, run the bike as long as you think it would take to get the Stabil thru the system. I didn't run my Valkyrie long enough one winter and the Stabil didn't get to the carbs. Rebuilding 6 carbs sucks. I let my bikes run at least 20 minutes now.

Old 10-13-2011 | 05:12 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

I live in Massachusetts(but rather be at my place in NH...) and I put stabilizer in the fuel, change the oil, but then I ride it off and on all winter on warm days. Some of my friends don't do it because they don't want to get their bike dirty...LOL. I LOVE my rocker and will keep it forever, BUT it's made for riding, not sitting in the garage. I clean it **** and span each time. A couple of years ago, me and 2 of my friends, rode ALL DAY on xmas eve day in our shirt sleeves. What a day! But it did get a MIGHT chilly on the way home when the sun goes down! LOL. Ride safe and be warm...

Old 10-29-2011 | 09:19 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

It was highly recommended that I buy a can of Seafoam, which I did. The instructions are not clear for motorcycles. Anyone know for sure how much of the can I put in my tank??

13" of snow coming tonight, I can't believe it!!! ARGGG!!!

Old 10-29-2011 | 10:23 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain

You may want to check out a local retirement facility. I know around here they rent the unused parking spaces in the heated garage for cheap. I split a spot with 3 other of my riding buddies. Next to us is boats so we do not need to worry about getting hit. It is nice to be able to pull it out on the nice days ride and then come back wash it and and not worry about the cold. We usually get at least one day in a month during our winter. Also allows for a warm place to do winter mods.

Old 10-29-2011 | 11:08 AM
snook592
Club Member

Move to Florida and you can ride all year and not have to worry about it.

Old 10-29-2011 | 11:14 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain

Originally Posted by studiopeg
It was highly recommended that I buy a can of Seafoam, which I did. The instructions are not clear for motorcycles. Anyone know for sure how much of the can I put in my tank??

13" of snow coming tonight, I can't believe it!!! ARGGG!!!
According to their web site (see link below), they suggest adding one ounce per gallon of fuel.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...treatment.html

After you add it, you probably should mix it with the gas by going for a short ride or sloshing the gas in the tank by moving the bike to the left and right. After that, run the engine for a few minutes to get the treated fuel all the way through the system.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2011 | 12:37 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

all good advise here I fill the tank change the oil add staybil to the fuel, cover, hook up the tender and I put the jack under it to unload the tires so they won't flatspot. I've left it without the jack and nothing happened so is it something you need to do, no just an **** thing.

Old 10-29-2011 | 04:35 PM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Thanks everyone, and just in time! When I left the shop to bring my bike home, it was not snowing. It's only a 15 minute ride.... (and yes I had about 7 layers on I am not that fat!)

Last edited by studiopeg; 10-29-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2011 | 05:00 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Haha, this snow hit hard and fast today..quite ridiculous. Also, if you can siphon the gas out of your tank in to a gas can, you don't need to put fuel stabilizer in it.. we keep our bikes in the dining room for the winter because we don't have a garage, and just drain the tanks and call it a day.. leave the oil and all that, it ends up being fine in the spring.. i know they say gas is good for about 30 days sitting, but it's also been fine..never had issues. I didn't read every post in here, but if you have one, put it up on a lift to keep the pressure off the tires for a few months.. air will leak out of them either way, but at least if it's off the ground (and strapped to the stand obviously), you won't develop any dry rotting or flat spots in the tires while it's idle.

Old 10-31-2011 | 09:13 AM
studiopeg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Haha, this snow hit hard and fast today..quite ridiculous. Also, if you can siphon the gas out of your tank in to a gas can, you don't need to put fuel stabilizer in it.. we keep our bikes in the dining room for the winter because we don't have a garage, and just drain the tanks and call it a day.. leave the oil and all that, it ends up being fine in the spring.. i know they say gas is good for about 30 days sitting, but it's also been fine..never had issues. I didn't read every post in here, but if you have one, put it up on a lift to keep the pressure off the tires for a few months.. air will leak out of them either way, but at least if it's off the ground (and strapped to the stand obviously), you won't develop any dry rotting or flat spots in the tires while it's idle.
Do you have power? We are camped out at my mother-in-laws whose house is 55 degrees, better than our house's 43 degrees. I don't expect power for a few more days.

Quick Reply: What prep work for storing my bike in my garage over winter?