Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?'s for those who have wrapped their pipes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:42 PM
thosehawks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s for those who have wrapped their pipes

Kicking around putting some big radius 2 into 2 on my Rocker.

Is there a big difference between models of heat wraps?

I've seen where certain brand models recommend re-jetting carb would an EFI model need to be dyno'ed after changing just the pipes and adding a heat wrap?

Would there be any issues with wrapping just where the rear heat shield is and keeping the chrome heat shield on the front section of the pipes?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:50 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Higher end wrap like thermo tec and DEI are worth it. I have cheaper stuff on my current pipes and it shows. I have used all brands.

If your bike is running fine now you don't need to do any tuning after wrapping.

And to answer your last question no. Don't worry about only wrapping part of the pipe. That is what most do anyway.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:48 AM
thosehawks
Advanced

Thanks

Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,390 Likes on 5,511 Posts

Makes no difference what brand you use, it still a waste of time and will rot your pipes out . Wrapping your pipes on a street bike does nothing.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Fierofly
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Makes no difference what brand you use, it still a waste of time and will rot your pipes out . Wrapping your pipes on a street bike does nothing.
Wasting Time, Yep just like adding Chrome or painting some part a different color or ? Most manufacters will tell you not to wrap cause it will trap moisture and rust or crack pipes. I've wrapped my stock pipes (used the dry wrap method, no paint yet) about 5000 miles ago (pipes been wet a few times) with Lava wrap. So far no problems, Planning on installing D&D Bobcats someday anyway. Will probabley wrap them also, just for looks mostly, couldn't really tell difference in heat.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:41 PM
thosehawks
Advanced

With the rusting pipes topic open.

I have noticed different ways of applying wraps via youtube, one painted pipe with a flame proof paint prior to wrapping and then adding a silicon sealant over the wraps and others just wrapping pipes.

Also a video showing the pipes after a being used and wrapped for over 18 months. It showed some surface rust, but nothing too bad. He didn't use the silicon sealant.

Any facts on whether one application process vs. the other is better at preventing rust or ways to eliminate it all together?

Old 10-09-2011, 01:03 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

just wrapped my exhaust last night... chrome was gettin thin on my hooker troublemakers, I painted em with the high heat paint first, got the wrap wet, and went to town last night. tied one end to the shop door so I could pull it super tight... gonna go out and paint em today once the wrap dries out

Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by imboden
just wrapped my exhaust last night... chrome was gettin thin on my hooker troublemakers, I painted em with the high heat paint first, got the wrap wet, and went to town last night. tied one end to the shop door so I could pull it super tight... gonna go out and paint em today once the wrap dries out
What he said. Painting them first can help. I wrapped mine because the pipes were already crappy looking when I bought it. Now it looks great to me. I suppose over time they may rot or rust. But I would rather run the risk then do something I don't like. And based on my experience the brand does make a difference. I am using the cheaper stuff now and the wrap is turning different colors where the higher end stuff did not.

Last edited by 2006FLST; 10-09-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To wrap or not to wrap... lmao

Wrap 'em...

Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by story808
To wrap or not to wrap... lmao

Wrap 'em...
I think you got the answers to all your questions, but no bike wrapping topic is complete without Story showing us the different "views" of his "Bike"
Come on now man, that small tiny sig is not enough...

Quick Reply: ?'s for those who have wrapped their pipes