Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank lift fuel range and cams vs. big bore Q's.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Tank lift fuel range and cams vs. big bore Q's.

I put a 3" tank lift on the Deuce. Stock it's got 4.9 gallons it's supposed to be able to use. Right now, after my first fill up after the lift, I have about 95 miles on it and the needle is sitting firmly at the 1/4 of the red bar mark and it's been telling me to fill up since 60 miles. Am I OK to push 150 miles on a tank? Any wisdom on this matter will be appreciated.

Also, I'm saving for some engine work this winter and I'm wondering what'll give me the most bang for the buck on an 88ci EFI motor, cams or a big bore kit? 3K rpm is my sweet spot. That's where I'm about at when cruising and that normally where I start when I roll on the throttle for turns and hard accelleration. I read that the 88B redline is 5.2K and cams I've looked at have the powerband placed way above that for some. Will the cams allow you to run the engin at a higher RPM? I'm confused on that subject, but I think a cam that can put the powerband squarely between 2.8k and 5.2k RPM would be a keeper for me.

Any suggestions on what to look for if I do cams over the big bore?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Old Skool Chopper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bro. I am in the process of putting on a 3 inch lift on my rocker. What I was told is that you will still get the same range of mileage that you got prior to the lift. My fuel injection hose it out of the end of the tank nearest the seat anyway, so the gas is running back there with the tilt. Anyway...if 150 was the average you got previously, then you are gtg. I think that was my average too.

When I get all of my mods done and the bike put back together, I guess we'll see...lol. I may stick close to home once I hit 130 on the first tank to see what the real deal endpoint is.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I chose cams and headwork over the big bore. Had the heads decked and cleaned up, installed Crane 310-2 cams (don't think they make them anymore), and adjustable pushrods. Ended up with 82hp and 94tq. Not sure of the stock redline, but mine is at about 6200 RPM. I attached a copy of my last Dyno.

Some of the cost was covered under warranty (bad valve seals) but something like this would probably run in $1200-$1600 range depending on your local hourly rate and cost of parts. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Old Skool Chopper
Hey Bro. I am in the process of putting on a 3 inch lift on my rocker. What I was told is that you will still get the same range of mileage that you got prior to the lift. My fuel injection hose it out of the end of the tank nearest the seat anyway, so the gas is running back there with the tilt. Anyway...if 150 was the average you got previously, then you are gtg. I think that was my average too.

When I get all of my mods done and the bike put back together, I guess we'll see...lol. I may stick close to home once I hit 130 on the first tank to see what the real deal endpoint is.
I figure the gas gauge is going to be even more off than it was before. I think I may get a small gas can to carry with me so that if I do run out, I'll know exactly how much I can do from there on out.

Any idea where I can find a service diagram of the tank without purcahsing a whole service manual?

Originally Posted by jreichart
I chose cams and headwork over the big bore. Had the heads decked and cleaned up, installed Crane 310-2 cams (don't think they make them anymore), and adjustable pushrods. Ended up with 82hp and 94tq. Not sure of the stock redline, but mine is at about 6200 RPM. I attached a copy of my last Dyno.

Some of the cost was covered under warranty (bad valve seals) but something like this would probably run in $1200-$1600 range depending on your local hourly rate and cost of parts. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I have an indie and the dealer near me that I'm going to check with. The only reason I'm still considering the dealer is that I bought it with about 13k on it and it has an unlimited mileage 2 year warranty on it and I don't want to blow that out the window. The only thing I'm afraid of is that if the dealer will warranty their work, they'll require SE part and I was looking at other brands of cams like Andrews.

Edit: Sweet, I see you're in Frederick. I bought my bike from Williamsport HD.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Old Skool Chopper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea on the service diagram of the tank. I have the service manual. What specifically are you looking for about the tank?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Well I had a long hi speed run on my big bore kit over the weekend. I got 135 miles before I stopped for gas. I put in 4.6 gallons so I figure at 90-954 mph 150 miles max. If I roll at 70 the mileage greatly increases. I'd say at 70 I can roll 200 miles easy.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Well I had a long hi speed run on my big bore kit over the weekend. I got 135 miles before I stopped for gas. I put in 4.6 gallons so I figure at 90-954 mph 150 miles max. If I roll at 70 the mileage greatly increases. I'd say at 70 I can roll 200 miles easy.
You have a 3" lift?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Edit: Sweet, I see you're in Frederick. I bought my bike from Williamsport HD.
Nice! Bought mine at the Frederick shop, eventually lost faith in their service dept, and switched to Battlefield in Gettysburg because of their service managers reputation, but he left and it's just mediocre up there now.

Frederick does have a great machine/custom/collision shop that is completely separate from the service dept. It's part of their HDFR racing team and it's in the building on the corner of Grove Rd there. Had them do all the machining for my fat front tire conversion and was very pleased. Good bunch of guys, and none of the "that's not a HD recommended upgrade" BS. Cheers!

John.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Also, I'm saving for some engine work this winter and I'm wondering what'll give me the most bang for the buck on an 88ci EFI motor, cams or a big bore kit? 3K rpm is my sweet spot. That's where I'm about at when cruising and that normally where I start when I roll on the throttle for turns and hard accelleration. I read that the 88B redline is 5.2K and cams I've looked at have the powerband placed way above that for some. Will the cams allow you to run the engin at a higher RPM? I'm confused on that subject, but I think a cam that can put the powerband squarely between 2.8k and 5.2k RPM would be a keeper for me.

Any suggestions on what to look for if I do cams over the big bore?
Of course it would be best to wait until you have the funds to do both. If you install cams, you really need to spend some money on the heads to realize the full benefit of adding cams. With the heads off, you are 15 minutes and $350 away from 95".

However, if you pass on the 95" upgrade for now, there are several cams that will work well in an 88" motor but you really should invest in a $299 BigBoyz "street" port job, or at least have your stock heads worked over by decking them to set the compression for whatever cams you select, a triple angle valve job and new guide seals. Cams that you might look at are Andrews 26 and 37; Woods 6; S&S510 and SE204. These are similar in profile to the Crane cams jreichart is running.

You need fuel management; the upgraded motor will have to be tuned. Many options; talk to your local tuner.

BTW, 5800rpm is the rev limit for the 88B motor. The rev limit is controlled by the ECM; engine modifications have no effect. The rev limit can be increased via the fuel managment system you choose; max I would run is about 6200rpm.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

I have a SERT. It came with the bike, I just haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet.

Quick Reply: Tank lift fuel range and cams vs. big bore Q's.