Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump going?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 AM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fuel Pump going?

What does a failing fuel pump sound like. Other than the bike not starting. I have been dealing with some strange noises the last couple of weeks, and I am assuming the fuel pump is starting to crap out? When I get ready to start the bike, it does it's normal priming and pressure build up. After running every so often I hear a strange higher pitch "ping"... and when I shut it down at times I get a high pitched "squeal" like a belt to tight or??

I have not really had any serious issues to suggest the fuel pump is going, at times I notice hesitation while riding but that might be the programmer issue I am dealing with yet. I put new pipes on, with Stage 1.. and then installed new cams... got an update to the computer programmer.. and now I am fighting MPG's... I used to get 40 plus, now I am in the low to mid 30's... Still working with Jamie at Fuel Moto on that situation yet, but maybe it is a sign of something up with the fuel pump?

Any way to check the fuel pump before just replacing it or being stranded somewhere?

Bike is 2001, Heritage with 25,000 miles.... Thanks for any input...

Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

My guess is it's not the fuel pump. However you are going to have to pay more attention to were noise is coming from. Fuel pumps on Fi cause idle problems way before hesitations, high speed problems. If you were getting 40 and now 30 sounds like you are way too rich and this would cause hesitation but could be at just a certain range.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 AM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The noise seems to be coming from the front of the bike near the heads or tank area... hard to pin point while riding with the shield... noise seems to be different in all locations. I was thinking the bike seems to be running a bit rich, but still the strange noises concern me! May be a little gun shy with the extra noise after installing all kinds of new stuff!

Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

A few people have reported problems with the line (tank internal) for the fuel pump.
It seems happen more often when the tank is not full.
This could easily cause the hesitation due to the lack of constant pressure and funny noises because of cavitation (air) in the fuel pump.
The only way I can think of to test or check it would be to add a fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on it while riding.
But that's a lot of work and it might be easier to just replace the line.
You would however need to get a new line, tank gasket and the screw set (they are one use types) to do the job.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:31 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be the old pinhole in the internal fuel line. It's super common. The way to test for it is take off the gas cap, turn the ignition switch to on with the start/run switch on so it primes. If you hear fuel splashing around, you have a pin hole. I had it on my Softail and I felt like at 65mph it just didn't have any more power. Plus it made a loud sucking/whistling noise at speed. I replaced the fuel lines (an project that'll take you an hour max), and I've been good to go since. Search on this forum for "pinhole."

Old 10-07-2011, 02:19 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I've never read in anywhere about F.P. going out, so I don't know what noise it would make if it was going bad.

Going from 40 to 30 mpg is more than a BIT rich on the tune, IMO its WAY too Rich.
When I had the cams done, 26H's, mine went from 41 to 45 mpg.

I just had my fuel line and filter replaced this summer while on a ridding vacation and 550 miles from home, had 33k on her. There was a Pinhole in one of the fuel lines inside the tank.

Mine would start running rough on Acceleration and Idle around 100 miles from filling up.
After a couple refills I figured it out, So I starting refilling around 80 miles cause she ran perfect doing that till I finally found a Dealer (it took three)who had the parts to fix it.

I didn't try to listen with the cap off but while riding I Didn't hear a sucking or whistling noise of anykind.

Most are thinking its the Ethanol gas making the hose's go bad, same issue some Outboard MotorBoats are having with gas lines.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,005 Likes on 4,196 Posts

Originally Posted by stevevfd
It may be the old pinhole in the internal fuel line. It's super common. The way to test for it is take off the gas cap, turn the ignition switch to on with the start/run switch on so it primes. If you hear fuel splashing around, you have a pin hole. I had it on my Softail and I felt like at 65mph it just didn't have any more power. Plus it made a loud sucking/whistling noise at speed. I replaced the fuel lines (an project that'll take you an hour max), and I've been good to go since. Search on this forum for "pinhole."
Just my opinion but this is why many line are replaced when there is nothing wrong. The pump maintains a steady pressure at idle or 70. The excess is dumped in the tank by the regulator valve inside the tank .

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-07-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:24 AM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grf000
Just my opinion but this is why many line are replaced when there is nothing wrong. The pump maintains a steady pressure at idle or 70. The excess is dumped in the tank by the regulator valve inside the tank .
Oh. Well it worked for me. There was a lot of gas splashing around. When I replaced the line, the old one had a series of 4 small pinholes in it. Once I replaced it, all has been well for 20,000 miles. Maybe that's not the problem, but a 2001 Softail is a prime candidate for the lines rubbing up on the tank and making holes.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

But that wouldn't affect the fuel mileage, I don't think... nor would a failing fuel pump. It would be lean rather than rich in either case. Sounds like an engine issue to me or a leak somewhere... but I wouldn't jump at the fuel pump. It also could be quite serious. Don't have enough info to even venture a proper guess.

C#

Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

and the problem ended up being ?????

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump going?