Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind, Windshields, Music, and Helmets...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 AM
hinerj
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind, Windshields, Music, and Helmets...what to do?

Since it seems the first question always is "what scooter are we talking about", I'll answer that first, but for my quetion I believe it is irrelevant.

I'm riding a 2011 Fatboy all stock except for slipons. Also I don't have a wind shield, really wouldn't like that look, although for long hauls I might breakdown and get one (if so it will most likely be the mephisshade batwing). I don't like the look of the handlebar mounted speakers unless they are "hidden" behind some type of fairing. I have connected a cig lighter and connected my driod recharger to is, use a HD magnetic iPod case on the tank to hold it and listen to pandora.

What do you all for music? I have currently tried the things listed below with the results listed.

Half Helm with earbuds...works well, but I probably need a higher quality "noise reduction" type earbud as wind noise gets over powering at higher speeds (60+).

Half Helm with Motorola S100 Bluetooth headset. Not bad until at speeds 45+. Volume is too low and wind noise drowns it out.

Full Helm (Hawk Modular), with Motorola S100...just to uncomfortable.

Full Helm with earbuds..probably the best sounding combination, but required some adjusting to get the fit right for sound.

Full Helm with either method had the drawback at higher speeds (65+) the wind pushed the helmet up against my face. Now I believe this was just due to how the earbuds altered the fit and can be overcome by taking a bit more time when I initially put it on.

half helm has a 1/2 face shield on it. While I like the wind in my face, I wear glasses and without it, it feels like they will blow off my face at any second.

Long story short, what do you all use, how does it work (+'s/-'s).

Old 10-04-2011, 09:32 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On long trips, I wear my novelty 1/2 (a Voss) and for music I use the old iPod Nano in a carabiner case hanging off my belt loop and a set of Race Quiet headphones. Check out Earplug Superstore, they have a ton of stuff. You may want to check out the custom ones, that'll most likely be my next investment.

John.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hidden j&m's handlebar speaker system, half helmet and fake ray bans it's a beast.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 AM
honkylips
Road Captain

I wear a set of ear buds (no helmet) that has a control on the cable that allows me to adjust volume and skip songs. I can hear music fine at 85+ mph

Old 10-04-2011, 09:52 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

For glasses I usually wear a cheap gasketed set from Flying Pig Eyewear, but just ordered some Liquid Gaskets. Haven't gotten them yet, so I can't review, hopefully they don't suck!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 AM
hinerj
Intermediate

Hmm, I mean I need prescription glasses to see so those losing those is not an option.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:04 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

43k miles with a 1/2 bucket and no windshield. I have never had a pair of glasses blow off my head, or even feel like they might. Are you wearing your regular walk around glasses or a set designed for riding? Both the Flying Pigs and the Liquids can be set up with a Rx and gasket to prevent wind and debris from getting up under them.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Radimus
Tourer

I use Scala Rider G4 on a 3/4 helmet with a BT connection to my phone... Music, navigation, phone calls... as well as headset to headset with my wife on her bike.

BTW, I have prescription sunglasses from WileyX for riding... they came with gaskets as well. I have the Jake Series, but the goggles might be better

Last edited by Radimus; 10-04-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Got my first windshield ever last winter and got spoiled in a hurry. I don't have to worry about my hat blowing off above 50mph anymore. For glasses I wear a pair of these:http://www.thebestmcglasses.com/
I've never seen the need for music while riding a motorcycle myself. The sound of my pipes and the wind is music enough for me.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Etymotics ER4 earplugs. They are noise cancelling so it blocks out wind noise instead of bombarding your ears with more noise. They worked great, although I wish they were wireless.

Nothing else I've tried works above 45 very well.

BTW, there was a study done in England where they found half the motorcyclists had hearing loss.

Quick Reply: Wind, Windshields, Music, and Helmets...what to do?