Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another horsepower guestimation

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011 | 10:16 AM
Albritton
|
Advanced

DJL the 95" will be a upgrade from the 88" and I know the fresh bottom end would normally add nothing but concidering it was ran on the dyno last time while extremly unbalanced made me wonder if the motor may not have been performing to its peak during that time..Harleyheaven thats a bad a$$ looking fatboy

Old 10-05-2011 | 11:58 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by Albritton
DJL the 95" will be a upgrade from the 88" and I know the fresh bottom end would normally add nothing but concidering it was ran on the dyno last time while extremly unbalanced made me wonder if the motor may not have been performing to its peak during that time..Harleyheaven thats a bad a$$ looking fatboy
With a good tune, in spite of the pipes, look for 81HP/96TQ.

EDIT: Downgrading expectation to allow for the fact that the tuner will not be leaning on the motor as it will not be broken in and early friction losses will take something away. If the tune is put off until at least 500 miles on the motor, I would bump those numbers back to the original guess.

Last edited by djl; 10-05-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2011 | 02:51 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Just wondering cause it'll make a 5% diff, does Ur tuner use the SAE or STD scale on his machine.? As one with SAE will always be lower. Smoothing rate used will also makes a diff.

Old 10-05-2011 | 04:03 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by oct1949
Just wondering cause it'll make a 5% diff, does Ur tuner use the SAE or STD scale on his machine.? As one with SAE will always be lower. Smoothing rate used will also makes a diff.
So will clutch slippage, tire wear, dyno calibration, what gear is used, engine mileage, etc. I agree that the correction factor will make a difference but SAE is the correction factor most often used;Dynojet's Winper software uses SAE and that software is pretty much the industry standard. Just don't see STD or DIN much these days.

Are you gonig to hazard a guess?

Old 10-05-2011 | 04:30 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
So will clutch slippage, tire wear, dyno calibration, what gear is used, engine mileage, etc.
And you can't forget atmospheric conditions like air temperature and humidity. In many cases, they make a huge difference in the numbers generated.

Originally Posted by djl
Are you gonig to hazard a guess?
I will, just for ***** and giggles. 94tq/81hp. No way the numbers will be in the 96+ range with stock heads, either '99 or '06 castings.

Old 10-05-2011 | 05:08 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by DD&Weevil
I will, just for ***** and giggles. 94tq/81hp. No way the numbers will be in the 96+ range with stock heads, either '99 or '06 castings.
With those cams, you could be right but it's not the casting. The '06 and later castings flow pretty good to .500" lift. The only thing that will hold Albritton back will be compression; he might need a little more to hit the higher 90s. It's not hard to hit 100+ with those later castings but you do need some compression.

Old 10-06-2011 | 10:22 AM
Albritton
|
Advanced

I talked to my mechanic this morning and once again djl, you are right. He is just gonna put a standard tune on it motor and give it back and let me put 500 miles on it then change the oil and remap it. I can tell you one thing tho, once I get it back he better be ready to remap it cause its only gonna take a couple days for me to put 500 miles on it concidering I havent riden her in 3 months

Old 10-06-2011 | 10:45 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Community Team

Originally Posted by Albritton
I talked to my mechanic this morning and once again djl, you are right. He is just gonna put a standard tune on it motor and give it back and let me put 500 miles on it then change the oil and remap it. I can tell you one thing tho, once I get it back he better be ready to remap it cause its only gonna take a couple days for me to put 500 miles on it concidering I havent riden her in 3 months
If I were you, I would dump the oil after the first 100 miles; no filter change, just the oil. Hopefully, you are not breaking in with synthetic?

While you had the heads off, you should have shaved about .050" off and put her back together with a .030" head gasket.

Old 10-06-2011 | 11:25 AM
Albritton
|
Advanced

No we are not breaking in with synthetic oil but if you think I should change the oil after 100 miles then thats what I will do for sure. I have asked him about doing a little head work but it kinda got blown off but im sure that once I get used to this little bit of a power increase then itll be addictive like everyone has said and I will be doing the cams and heads again within the next year of two and no telling what else. Gotta get my wallet recovered for now tho if you know what I mean

Old 10-07-2011 | 03:11 PM
oct1949
Club Member

So what was the final word on the Vibration issue U was having, U said U've got a new bottom end, wonder was it the crank or balancer's.?

Quick Reply: Another horsepower guestimation