Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 PM
GrapeApe64
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel hop

Went to Vegas Bike Fest this past weekend and while riding out there when i'd hit speeds between 80-85, my rear wheel would hop. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't smooth like w/ the stock wheels. What get's me is that below 80 mph, and 90+mph, it rolled smooth. I put a new DNA fat spoke on the rear with a new Metz 880 w/ 2 oz dyna beads. I only put about 250 easy cruising miles on it before Vegas. Think it's a balancing problem or maybe a bad spot on the tire? What get's me is that it's only between 80-85mph...

Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bet balance issue.
most out of balance conditions show up at a particular rpm. when you get to that speed, the rpm of the wheel is just right to allow you to feel the condition. below that itis subtle enough that you dont feel it, and above itthe same. almost like the way at acertain speed your grips will have bad vibes in them, yet 10mph faster smooths them out. its all in the harmonics setup in rotating machinery

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I have to agree the balancing or maybe the tire is out of round. Never have experienced that. How is your belt adjusted? How about your shocks? Is the axle aligned straight?

Drew

Old 10-04-2011, 12:11 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Let us know what you find. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in buying a set of wheels that's keeping tabs on what companies are having what problems.

Thanks and best of luck getting it worked out

Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the tire cupped........if it's slightly cupped it may only show signs at high speeds. If it's out of balance it will eventually become cupped and ruin your shocks from the continuous bouncing. Another possibility is that your drive belt is worn and it jumping on the rear sprocket.........I'm guessing here cause you didn't say what you are riding. Please let me know what you find.......I just put 2oz of Dyna beads in my new front tire (D408F) and want to add Dyna beads to the rear which only has about 2k miles. The HD shop added them when they mounted the tire but they couldn't tell me anything about them.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:43 PM
GrapeApe64
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Is the tire cupped........if it's slightly cupped it may only show signs at high speeds. If it's out of balance it will eventually become cupped and ruin your shocks from the continuous bouncing. Another possibility is that your drive belt is worn and it jumping on the rear sprocket.........I'm guessing here cause you didn't say what you are riding. Please let me know what you find.......I just put 2oz of Dyna beads in my new front tire (D408F) and want to add Dyna beads to the rear which only has about 2k miles. The HD shop added them when they mounted the tire but they couldn't tell me anything about them.
It's an 07 Deluxe...i've only put on maybe 800 miles on the tire, the bike only has a little over 8000 miles on in. I came home for lunch and looked at the drive belt, axle, etc, and everything looked ok. I spun the tire and ran my hand along it and I didn't feel any how or low spots, or see anything out of the ordinary. I spoke to my indy mechanic and he had said it could just be a bad tire....I'm half tempted to spring for a new tire just to see it it'll help!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,080 Likes on 5,817 Posts

Originally Posted by GrapeApe64
. I spoke to my indy mechanic and he had said it could just be a bad tire....I'm half tempted to spring for a new tire just to see it it'll help!

Before you buy a new tire,spring for a conventional balance, and your problem will go away.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

You think the Dyna Beads are moving? Maybe not enough Beads?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

If your tire is rolling at 80mph I can't believe the Dyna Beads would actually move. When I have my bike on the jack cleaning the wheels I can hear them move around on the inside between the wheel and the tire. I was told by the factory that makes Dyna Beads that once the tire hits 30+ they are at the low spot (weight wise) and they stay there until you slow down. I asked if they could check the balance at the dealer using the beads and they said the tire doesn't spin fast enough on the balance machine to confirm the beads are working. 2 oz sounds like the correct amount of beads........the tire is 140mm or less.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 PM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
You think the Dyna Beads are moving? Maybe not enough Beads?

What is the correct amount of Dyna Beads to use? How can you be sure?

Last edited by inaroush; 10-05-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel hop