Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011 | 03:11 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I hear ya. Not only are the connectors cumbersome but the wire bundles not very flexible. I'm sure there's a solution. I have to imagine that there are lots of people out there running one of these units or something similar.
No need to worry about room under the seat......check out this web link. This company produces lithium ferrous batteries for Harleys. The 12 cell EVO2 part number 100-012L (Left Pos terminal) or 100-012 are rated for 410 CCA with a charge voltage of 13.6V, weight is 2.5 Lbs and the best part is the size......4.41 X 3.39 X 4.05 compared to the Harley OEM #6598-97C which is 6.85 X 3.9X 6.06 @ 15.43 lbs. That's about 2" of clearance above the battery that you currently don't have, so you can leave the ECM on the fender and move the FuelPak/Power Commander to on top the battery. This battery technology doesn't require a battery tender either. Looks alot like the marine batteries you get in a new boat. I will be converting over as soon as I get the fenders/tank back from paint. These guys even make a foam adapter for FL Models because the battery box in the Harley is so much bigger than their battery.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ies/12cell.php

Old 10-24-2011 | 11:21 PM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

The smaller battery has to be the way to go. I removed my seat for the first time since installing the FP. The only sign of "wear" was the indention of a tab that sticks up from the original ECM connector in the bottom of my seat. Given enough time, I'm sure it would tear the vinyl. There are two tabs sticking up from the original ECM connector. I cut them both off since they aren't used for anything. My seat fit back on a little easier.

Old 10-25-2011 | 11:06 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by mswing1234
The smaller battery has to be the way to go. I removed my seat for the first time since installing the FP. The only sign of "wear" was the indention of a tab that sticks up from the original ECM connector in the bottom of my seat. Given enough time, I'm sure it would tear the vinyl. There are two tabs sticking up from the original ECM connector. I cut them both off since they aren't used for anything. My seat fit back on a little easier.
Hey mswing.......looks like you still have the stock seat, true? If so do you plan on changing it for a lower profile seat.

Old 10-30-2011 | 11:32 AM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Hey mswing.......looks like you still have the stock seat, true? If so do you plan on changing it for a lower profile seat.
I want a LePera Bare Bones solo but I'm really concerned about the FP connector clearance. I sent LePera product support an email and just asked them straight up about my set-up. They responded that their seat sits right down to the frame and they had doubts about adequate clearance. Your battery idea is the only non-invasive method I've heard (Thanks). If that STL in your HDF name means St. Louis, I'm in Wentzville and as you know it's cooling off here. I'll wait until next spring to do anything but I'm about due for a new battery anyway.

Old 10-31-2011 | 10:30 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by mswing1234
I want a LePera Bare Bones solo but I'm really concerned about the FP connector clearance. I sent LePera product support an email and just asked them straight up about my set-up. They responded that their seat sits right down to the frame and they had doubts about adequate clearance. Your battery idea is the only non-invasive method I've heard (Thanks). If that STL in your HDF name means St. Louis, I'm in Wentzville and as you know it's cooling off here. I'll wait until next spring to do anything but I'm about due for a new battery anyway.
Hey mswing.......yes I live just east of you in St. Louis County (west of 270). I talked to LePera Friday.......they don't make a seat that uses the two (lower fender) seat mount posts, since I use a motherwell solo rack I need those two mount points. I'll look around for your bike next time I'm at St Charles Motor Sport.

Old 11-02-2011 | 05:14 PM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Hey mswing.......yes I live just east of you in St. Louis County (west of 270). I talked to LePera Friday.......they don't make a seat that uses the two (lower fender) seat mount posts, since I use a motherwell solo rack I need those two mount points. I'll look around for your bike next time I'm at St Charles Motor Sport.
I get out your way on occasion (Docs HD) but I'm at the St. Charles shop all the time. I've got a few gift cards that must be used...

I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between the stock and LePera seats quickly but I'll have to deal with the 2 point bracket on and off.

Old 11-02-2011 | 06:27 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member

Lepera will make a custom pan for you. Not sure at what cost though