Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011 | 08:55 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Sorry it took a couple day to get to this, had some things that took priority last weekend.........sun was out so I rode all weekend....LOL. I took some pics of the Fuel Pak mounted on top of the EMC. I also have some of the current layout.....Running Light Module and the Alarm System Module. You can see there's not much room left over, that's why I put the Fuel Pak on top the EMC. One of the photos also shows the height of the two units stacked up.......you can also see there is no EMC tray and the pocket where they sit isn't that deep. The EMC just sits on the fender with a clamp holding it down.
I tried moving the Fuel Pak to right side where the Running Light Module sits but when I put the seat back on it wouldn't fit all the way down. I'm not sure if the low profile seats will clear the 1 3/4" stackup of the two units.
Ah! You removed the plate that bolts to the fender and then holds the ECM. That lowers the ECM allowing for the stacked set up you have. Very cool. I think I will do this to mine fore several reasons besides the fitment of the Fuel Pack.

Really appreciate the pics.

Old 10-14-2011 | 11:39 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Ah! You removed the plate that bolts to the fender and then holds the ECM. That lowers the ECM allowing for the stacked set up you have. Very cool. I think I will do this to mine fore several reasons besides the fitment of the Fuel Pack.

Really appreciate the pics.
Yea..........a rubber coated "C" clamp at the top edge and a really long zipper tie at the bottom that I looped thru the two holes in the base of the fender and around the connector/cables. Seems to hold things down pretty well.......it's been on there for 12K miles with no problems. My only issue is that I don't know if the 1 3/4" stack will fit under anything but the stock seat.

Old 10-14-2011 | 12:08 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser
Default Rubik's Cube

Originally Posted by mswing1234
I installed a V&H FuelPak over the weekend on my 08 Fatboy. What should have taken 10 minutes, took me 1.5 hours. The instructions show the location for the FuelPak connectors and unit under the (stock) seat. Uh...there is no room for those connectors under the stock seat anywhere. I screwed around with it until I found a spot where I could actually get the seat mounted again but I'm concerned that the seat is squashing the connectors. Anyway...I want to put a LePera Bare Bones solo seat on but I'm afraid it might have even less clearance. Any experience out there...pictures?
Hey, don't know if you got your problem solved yet. I have an '07 Fat Boy and my ECM was attached to the rear fender by a metal plate, not a tray. Not sure if the '08 is the same. Anyway, I removed the plate which, along with the removed bolts, gave me some room to add the FuelPak. I actually have the FuelPak unit toward the nose of the seat compartment, where the seat tongue slips into the bike.

At the time, I had a sidekick seat which had less room underneath than the stock. I was also concerned about crushing some connectors, so I eventually decided to replace my battery (was about time anyway). I used an Odyssey battery which, from memory, is about 1 inch shorter than the stock battery. This freed up just enough room to allow me to keep everything lower than the frame tubes. I also have a pigtail for the battery tender, pigtail for heated gear and additional connector for the Air Wing rack light. Everything fits under the sidekick seat, which I still sometimes use.

I also spoke to a couple different V&H reps. I called BEFORE I purchased the pipes (Big Shots Long) and FuelPak, and was assured that everything would fit just fine. After I had trouble packing everything under the seat, I called again and someone else told me he's not surprised it didn't fit and would have told me so if I had spoke to him before buying!

It took me some time to figure out the perfect location for everything. If you want a pic, I'll be happy to get one for you.

Old 10-14-2011 | 10:45 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by skjskmata
Hey, don't know if you got your problem solved yet. I have an '07 Fat Boy and my ECM was attached to the rear fender by a metal plate, not a tray. Not sure if the '08 is the same. Anyway, I removed the plate which, along with the removed bolts, gave me some room to add the FuelPak. I actually have the FuelPak unit toward the nose of the seat compartment, where the seat tongue slips into the bike.

At the time, I had a sidekick seat which had less room underneath than the stock. I was also concerned about crushing some connectors, so I eventually decided to replace my battery (was about time anyway). I used an Odyssey battery which, from memory, is about 1 inch shorter than the stock battery. This freed up just enough room to allow me to keep everything lower than the frame tubes. I also have a pigtail for the battery tender, pigtail for heated gear and additional connector for the Air Wing rack light. Everything fits under the sidekick seat, which I still sometimes use.

I also spoke to a couple different V&H reps. I called BEFORE I purchased the pipes (Big Shots Long) and FuelPak, and was assured that everything would fit just fine. After I had trouble packing everything under the seat, I called again and someone else told me he's not surprised it didn't fit and would have told me so if I had spoke to him before buying!

It took me some time to figure out the perfect location for everything. If you want a pic, I'll be happy to get one for you.

Yea send pics! Does the battery have the same cranking power as the OEM Battery?

Old 10-15-2011 | 12:56 AM
6gear
Cruiser
Default Fuel Pack / PC V

I recently installed the PC V on my 08 FB. The instructions are for reference only!
As previous stated, I attached ecm to fender w/velcro.
Regarding the multi-pin connectors: w/fuse box plate removed, these fit tightly (safely) between fuse box cover, on frame and w/velcro to bottom center of ecm.
I did not even attempt to mount the control unit on the back of the mud gaurd as stated in instructions. Fortunately I have leather saddlebags and this unit conveniently hangs in the left bag.
I clearance tested this setup under the seat and found no noticable compression. However, in testing I also plastic tied folded piece of rubber inner tube to frame where seat makes contact for added insurance.
OH, almost forgot something important: on the bottom of the seat (where the thread secures the Harley Davidson emblem on the seat) I cut off two protrusions of the seat mold to gain this clearance. Be careful not to cut to much or you will have a baggy seat!
It sounds like lots of good units available.
The PC V worked like a charm from the start. Great throttle response, steady idle under hi temps and no more popping/backfiring on decelleration.
That worked for me!

Old 10-15-2011 | 10:45 AM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

I didn't think the ECM plate bolted to the fender on an 08 FB. It looked like some sort of rivets to me. I'd rather not cut anything. I've been riding the last couple of weeks with the FP connectors "crammed" under the seat with my weight on them. I need to pull the seat off this weekend and take another look. I really want the LePera Bare Bones seat (LK-007) on there but I'm afraid my clearance situation will only be worse. Can anyone post pics of the underside of that seat? I want to see what the shell looks like.

Old 10-15-2011 | 11:05 AM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skjskmata
I was also concerned about crushing some connectors, so I eventually decided to replace my battery (was about time anyway). I used an Odyssey battery which, from memory, is about 1 inch shorter than the stock battery. This freed up just enough room to allow me to keep everything lower than the frame tubes.
I would change out my battery in a minute, rather than start cutting fenders and the like. The only possible issue is the ~1" rubber support on the underside of the stock 08 seat. It rests on top of the original battery. Lower battery...no support. I wonder if I can take the support off my stock seat without tearing it up and see how much real-estate that frees up. Should be several square inches. I don't know how much the seat would sag with my weight on it without the support. If I put the LePera on, maybe it doesn't matter anyway.

Old 10-17-2011 | 03:42 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Hey Guys, just found this posting.......check it out. Smaller battery allowed him to move his ECM. My Fatboy will be needing a new battery next spring.....looks like I'll be moving my computer also.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...i-battery.html

Old 10-18-2011 | 11:28 AM
skjskmata
Cruiser

Yea send pics! Does the battery have the same cranking power as the OEM Battery?
Hey, sorry about the delay. I'll try to get a couple pics posted tonight.

Old 10-19-2011 | 08:01 AM
skjskmata
Cruiser

Here's some pics of my seat compartment. Obviously, it's difficult to see everything clearly. Contrary to my earlier post, I forgot that I moved the FuelPak. It used to be at the nose of the seat compartment. When I added the Air Wing Two-Up luggage rack with the LED light kit, I had to add a wiring harness and move things around.

Point is, it's like a Rubik's Cube trying to find just the right positioning of everything without worrying about the seat crushing the wiring harnesses, etc. What worked for me was the Odyssey battery which is shorter than stock. That freed up just enough room for me. I also have a pigtail for the Odyssey charger (more on that below), a pigtail for heated gear, GPS cradle wire and Smart Siren antenna in there.

You asked about the specs. Per Odyssey, the PC-545MJ (dry cell) for my '07 Fat Boy specs are:

545 cranking amps for 5 seconds
495 cranking amps for 10 seconds
420 cranking amps for 20 seconds
Short circuit current over 1200A
18 minute reserve capacity w/ 25 amp load
Femal brass terminal w/ M6 SS bolt
Dimensions include metal jacket:
Length 7"
Width 3 3/8"
Height 5 1/8"
Weight 12.6 lbs.

2-year full warrant
Rugged Drycell sealed design
Military grade
Vibration resistant
60% more starting power
Deep discharge reserve power
2 year storage life
8-12 year design life
Can be mounted flat or upright (mine is upright like stock)

I purchased my Odyssey from Summit Racing. Here's a couple more specs they list:

12V
Cranking amps at 0 degrees F: 185 amps
Cranking amps at 32 degrees F: 240 amps

Performance wise, I haven't noticed a difference between the stock and Odyssey-both have been solid for me for both cold and hot starts.

Last about the Odyssey, but important, is that you may want to purchase the Odyssey charger if you go with the Odyssey battery. I asked Odyssey why I should use their charger as opposed to the Battery Tender Jr. I already had. The response I got is:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Please note that there are two voltage ranges printed on the top label of your battery, the cyclic and float voltage. Not
exceeding 15.0V and floating between 13.5V and 13.8V is critical. If the battery charger exceeds 15.0V it can cause overcharging, thermal runaway and permanent damage. Maintaining the battery in an undercharged condition at less than 13.5V will contribute to the sulfation and premature failure of the battery as well. Premature failure due to either condition is not considered a warranty issue. In most cases where the charger does meet the float voltage requirement, the recommendation is to leave the charger on float for 6 to 8 hours once it reaches a full state of charge since most chargers go into float mode before the ODYSSEY battery reaches a true full state of charge. The recommended 3-step charging profile for the ODYSSEY battery is located on the ODYSSEY website Charger page for your reference.

EnerSys/ODYSSEY has tested many of the Battery Tender charger models and finds that they are inadequate for use with any ODYSSEY battery. I have attached the owner's manual that I located for the BT Jr. and it does not state the specific charging voltages so you would need to contact the manufacturer to find out if it floats within the voltage range stated or check the voltages when on charge at the battery terminals to verify that it is charging within spec. This is not to say that the charger is bad since it works well with most batteries on the market, it just doesn't meet the requirements of the ODYSSEY battery and therefore can contribute to the premature failure of the battery which would be
frustrating to the consumer and is not a warranty issue."

Last, here's what Odyssey has to say about the choice between their two chargers:

"The 12A would charge a little faster and has an automatic de-sulfation mode that detects when the battery has become sulfated. The advantage of using the 6A would be that it comes with a quick disconnect harness that can be permanently installed on the battery for ease of use. The 12A has alligator clips permanently installed on the leads and is not so user friendly for motorcycle applications. If the connector to the "pigtail" you currently have installed on your battery is the same standard connector used on the quick disconnect harness supplied with our charger, it could be used with the 6A ODYSSEY OMAX-6A-1B charger.

Just a note. The ODYSSEY PC545 battery can be left on maintenance charge/float indefinitely on any of the listed approved 12V chargers without harming the battery since they all float as required within the recommended voltage range."

Hope that helps and isn't more information than you needed!

Attached Thumbnails Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance-img00341-20111018-2111.jpg   Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance-img00342-20111018-2111.jpg   Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance-img00343-20111018-2112.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance