Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011 | 02:18 PM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
My 07 does not have the ECM Tray/pocket in the rear fender. The fender does have a small recess but no pocket to install a deeper tray. I currently have the Fuel Pak mounted to the top of the ECM with some velcro but I'm afraid that a LaPerra seat will have a lower profile pan and I'll have to move the thing........and there is no place to move it. The connectors plus my running light module pretty much fills what small space there is.
I hear ya man. I don't know where some of the other guys found the space or what's different with their layout. I've got V&H tech support emailing me about every 10 minutes now trying to help but they can't make space where there isn't any.

Old 10-06-2011 | 11:49 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

I'm going to try and take some pics tonight...........I'll post them if a get a chance.

Old 10-06-2011 | 12:55 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Default Ecm tray on an 08?

I keep seeing responses about "deeper ecm trays" but I think the problem is that on an 08 the ecm doesn't sit in a tray. At least not on a Fatboy. It is bolted to a plate which is in turn bolted to a flat part of the fender. Is this what's possible causing some of the confusion?

I'm interested in this thread because I own a 2008 Crossbones with a Fatboy rear fender and I too own a V&H fuel pack that I have not installed but did try to mock. Hard to imagine it fitting under there but we'll see.

Old 10-06-2011 | 11:15 PM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I keep seeing responses about "deeper ecm trays" but I think the problem is that on an 08 the ecm doesn't sit in a tray. At least not on a Fatboy. It is bolted to a plate which is in turn bolted to a flat part of the fender. Is this what's possible causing some of the confusion?

I'm interested in this thread because I own a 2008 Crossbones with a Fatboy rear fender and I too own a V&H fuel pack that I have not installed but did try to mock. Hard to imagine it fitting under there but we'll see.
I have my FuelPak installed but it's very difficult to get the seat back on due to the connectors, not the FP module. I have that tucked over to the right rear side. Many on this thread are talking about the module location and not the in-line connectors. My 08 FatBoy...no tray for the module and no place for those big connectors to lay under the seat. To put in a recessed tray would require some surgery. The stock seat has a rubber foot in the middle that sits on top of the battery when the seat is installed. The connectors have to sit to the right or left of that foot. There's no room for them in the plastic seat shell design either. We need pics of an 08 FatBoy that is claimed to be "no problem". There was at least one on this thread.

Old 10-07-2011 | 12:37 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mswing1234
I have my FuelPak installed but it's very difficult to get the seat back on due to the connectors, not the FP module. I have that tucked over to the right rear side. Many on this thread are talking about the module location and not the in-line connectors. My 08 FatBoy...no tray for the module and no place for those big connectors to lay under the seat. To put in a recessed tray would require some surgery. The stock seat has a rubber foot in the middle that sits on top of the battery when the seat is installed. The connectors have to sit to the right or left of that foot. There's no room for them in the plastic seat shell design either. We need pics of an 08 FatBoy that is claimed to be "no problem". There was at least one on this thread.
I hear ya. Not only are the connectors cumbersome but the wire bundles not very flexible. I'm sure there's a solution. I have to imagine that there are lots of people out there running one of these units or something similar.

Old 10-08-2011 | 03:15 PM
cmosentine
Tourer

Before I gave up on my PC-V, I toyed with the option of removing the rear fender and rerouting the factory harness behind the plastic splashguard. I could then mount the PC-V there as it has enough of a pigtail to to back to the ECM. However, given how fat the wire loom going to the connector is, I felt uncomfortable doing that. I did do just that when I installed my Badlands Illuminator R/S/B module.

Old 10-12-2011 | 10:31 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Sorry it took a couple day to get to this, had some things that took priority last weekend.........sun was out so I rode all weekend....LOL. I took some pics of the Fuel Pak mounted on top of the EMC. I also have some of the current layout.....Running Light Module and the Alarm System Module. You can see there's not much room left over, that's why I put the Fuel Pak on top the EMC. One of the photos also shows the height of the two units stacked up.......you can also see there is no EMC tray and the pocket where they sit isn't that deep. The EMC just sits on the fender with a clamp holding it down.
I tried moving the Fuel Pak to right side where the Running Light Module sits but when I put the seat back on it wouldn't fit all the way down. I'm not sure if the low profile seats will clear the 1 3/4" stackup of the two units.

Attached Thumbnails Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance-pa080003_a.jpg   Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance-pa080004_a.jpg   Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance-pa080002_a.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011 | 05:09 PM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by STLFLSTF_Mike
Sorry it took a couple day to get to this, had some things that took priority last weekend.........sun was out so I rode all weekend....LOL. I took some pics of the Fuel Pak mounted on top of the EMC. I also have some of the current layout.....Running Light Module and the Alarm System Module. You can see there's not much room left over, that's why I put the Fuel Pak on top the EMC. One of the photos also shows the height of the two units stacked up.......you can also see there is no EMC tray and the pocket where they sit isn't that deep. The EMC just sits on the fender with a clamp holding it down.
I tried moving the Fuel Pak to right side where the Running Light Module sits but when I put the seat back on it wouldn't fit all the way down. I'm not sure if the low profile seats will clear the 1 3/4" stackup of the two units.
Thanks for the pics. What year FB did you say you had? Are you using the stock seat?

Old 10-13-2011 | 10:22 PM
inaroush
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Get a deeper ecm tray from fuel moto that they sue for power commanders. Then velcro it to the top of the ecm. That is what I did with my power commander and it has fit with multiple seats with no issue.

Drew

You will have to cut the rear fender for that to fit the deeper ECM.

Old 10-13-2011 | 10:50 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by mswing1234
Thanks for the pics. What year FB did you say you had? Are you using the stock seat?

07 Fatboy.......Stock Seat. No mods to the fender.

Quick Reply: Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance