Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 05:52 PM
cmosentine
Tourer

FuelMoto cost me $100 as I believed that you could fit it under the seat. Their solution is to move the ECM up and velcro it to the rear fender. I wasn't going there. I'm sure a more experienced person would have been able to make it work well.

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:23 PM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mke125125
my fuelpac came with the deeper ecm tray in the box with it. contact vance & hines
I sent Vance & Hines an email and this was tech support's reply:

"Some softwail applications do require a deep tray for the ECU and FuelPak to be seated together. They are included in the package; however, on the FatBoy there should be enough room to stack the two or be put side by side. I will ask to see if this tray would work on your bike."

I have news for them...for this application (08 FatBoy-stock seat) there's not sufficient room anywhere. You can cram it all under there and barely get the seat back on but I don't feel very good about the pressure on the connectors under the seat, especially when you're sitting on it. If what Le Pera told me is true, I don't believe the Le Pera Bare Bones Solo will work without a recessed tray. If V&H gets back to me again, I'll post their recommendation.

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:28 PM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cmosentine
FuelMoto cost me $100 as I believed that you could fit it under the seat. Their solution is to move the ECM up and velcro it to the rear fender. I wasn't going there. I'm sure a more experienced person would have been able to make it work well.
DynoJet sales (Chris Kelly) told me the part number for their Power Commander plastic recessed tray was 21125303 and cost $8.00 plus shipping and handling...The drawing I posted earlier was that one.

Old 10-05-2011 | 06:50 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

I added the Fuelpak and the HD run/brake light module under my 08 Fatboy stock seat. No problem.

Old 10-05-2011 | 07:21 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I'll snap a pic today. It looks just like the other, just a little deeper.

Drew

Old 10-05-2011 | 08:28 AM
mke125125
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mswing1234
DynoJet sales (Chris Kelly) told me the part number for their Power Commander plastic recessed tray was 21125303 and cost $8.00 plus shipping and handling...The drawing I posted earlier was that one.
yep, just a cheap plastic tray. you remove the original tray and stick the deeper one in its place. the ecm sits "down" in the deeper tray. there is also a little plastic bar that screws across the top of the ecm and the fuelpak is screwed to that. the fuelpak is now in approximately the same position as the ecm originally was.

Old 10-05-2011 | 08:31 AM
mke125125
Road Captain

i would also recomend getting the tray from v&h cause the holes in there tray for the mounting screws are designed to match up with the holes in the fuelpak for mounting

Old 10-05-2011 | 11:27 AM
cmosentine
Tourer

Originally Posted by mswing1234
Yes, I know that, but I was not going to cut my perfectly good rear fender. If I remember correctly, and that is a BIG IF, the instructions said that was for a Road King. I am sure I could have made it work, but I was simply unwilling to make the mods needed. My money, my call. I don't recall seeing any mention of the tray in the instructions that were posted online.

Oh well, The fellow who bought it from me is happy and I am OK with the learning experience. Just have be be MUCH MORE THROUGH next time.

Old 10-05-2011 | 11:56 AM
mswing1234
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
I added the Fuelpak and the HD run/brake light module under my 08 Fatboy stock seat. No problem.
I would like to see the layout under your seat, including the underside of the seat intself. Could you please post a couple of pics? Is it possible there's differences between 08's? Battery height? Seat shell? Other? As I mentioned, I did get my seat back on but it was a bitch and I'm sure there's a lot of pressure on those two big in-line connectors when I'm sitting. There's just no large enough recesses in the plastic seat shell or around the battery to accomodate those connectors. The module itself was easy enough to stash. It's thinner than the connectors.

Old 10-05-2011 | 12:17 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master

My 07 does not have the ECM Tray/pocket in the rear fender. The fender does have a small recess but no pocket to install a deeper tray. I currently have the Fuel Pak mounted to the top of the ECM with some velcro but I'm afraid that a LaPerra seat will have a lower profile pan and I'll have to move the thing........and there is no place to move it. The connectors plus my running light module pretty much fills what small space there is.

Quick Reply: Fatboy, V&H FuelPak under-seat clearance