Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Widest rear tire width on stock Blackline rim

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Widest rear tire width on stock Blackline rim

Just picked up a new 2011 Blackline and I absolutely love this thing! Handles like a freakin' champ and is quite comfortable. The look is exactly what I was looking for except the rear tire.
Is it possible to put a slightly wider tire on the stock rim? Not looking for a 200 or anything like that, just a little bit more width. Also, I would like a tire that doesn't have quite as high of a sidewall to give the rear a little lower profile look.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 AM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There isn't much room.

I'm thinking an shock would make it look bigger since you can slam it down and get rid of the big space between the fender and the tire.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Nocturnalnature
Road Master

Thanks for the reply!
I think it looks so narrow to me because I'm coming off a Rocker C. Tonight when I went down and gawked at my new pride and joy it didn't seem as narrow as yesterday. I guess it just might take some getting used to.
I will say the bike corners and handles very well with that narrow tire whereas the Rocker seemed to wallow in the corners and never utilize the outer edges of the tire causing it to get a flat spot.

Is your Blackline lowered in your signature pic? It looks a bit lower than mine. Also, I noticed you relocated your plate. Did you go with a axle or swingarm side mount?
Thanks again for your time.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature
Thanks for the reply!
I think it looks so narrow to me because I'm coming off a Rocker C. Tonight when I went down and gawked at my new pride and joy it didn't seem as narrow as yesterday. I guess it just might take some getting used to.
I will say the bike corners and handles very well with that narrow tire whereas the Rocker seemed to wallow in the corners and never utilize the outer edges of the tire causing it to get a flat spot.

Is your Blackline lowered in your signature pic? It looks a bit lower than mine. Also, I noticed you relocated your plate. Did you go with a axle or swingarm side mount?
Thanks again for your time.
Yeah, they will tell you if you want better handling that you need to reduce unsprung weight.

I haven't done anything to my suspension yet, it is still stock.

This is Cycle Visions, mounted on the axle. Gives plenty of room for the swingarm bag.

Attached Thumbnails Widest rear tire width on stock Blackline rim-img_2960.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Don't know how much room to spare U got, our heritage uses a Lop 401 rear in size 150-80-16, Its about 1/2 wider the U stock tire. So far on the 4 I had on they all get right at 10k riding two up 95% of the time. mostly just putting on the county roads.

heres the specs.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire..._tire.asp?id=6

Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't think it would look any better with a wider tire, but lowering it and getting a side mount plate would definitely be an upgrade.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Cobrettysw
Intermediate

I really think it needs a wider rear tire but am wondering if you can put a 160 on it without changing anything else?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 3" wheel will take a 160 tire. The limiting factor is the clearance under the fender.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

It's all gonna depend in the brand. Supposedly the stock tire is a 144. That is supposed to mean it is 144mm wide. If that were truely the case, and you went to a true 160mm wide tire, you are talking 16mm which is very close to 5/8". That should be doable.
The problem is that different manufacturers build their tires different sizes. Then the width of the rim will have a small effect on the treadwidth when mounted as well. Best bet is try to find someone local running that size tire, and take a few measurements.

I would love to go a hair wider tire on mine as well, but I want an 18" rear wheel to go with it, so I have held off for now.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Cobrettysw
Intermediate

Yeah not sure how much clearance is in fender

Quick Reply: Widest rear tire width on stock Blackline rim