Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy I need a crash course

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Fatboy I need a crash course

Ok, Ive made my mind up, Im going with a fatboy. I need to know any and everything to keep me from screwing up and wishing I would have done something else. Im looking at models from 2000- to 2006 more than likely. The years will ultimately be decided by the price, Not looking to spend a whole lot more than about 11 or 12k. What do I need to be keeping and eye out for? Ill be doing some 2 up riding but 80% of the time it will just be me ...

Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 AM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your range of years cover both Carb and FI models.

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Ok, Ive made my mind up, Im going with a fatboy. I need to know any and everything to keep me from screwing up and wishing I would have done something else. Im looking at models from 2000- to 2006 more than likely. The years will ultimately be decided by the price, Not looking to spend a whole lot more than about 11 or 12k. What do I need to be keeping and eye out for? Ill be doing some 2 up riding but 80% of the time it will just be me ...

Old 09-30-2011, 11:51 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

For some reason I was thinking they switched to FI in 98... This is why I need you guys LOL... My thoughts would be to take a carb over a FI unit but something tells me Im wrong...

Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
cmosentine
Tourer

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
For some reason I was thinking they switched to FI in 98... This is why I need you guys LOL... My thoughts would be to take a carb over a FI unit but something tells me Im wrong...
You will see fatbots listed as FLSTF (Carb) or FLSTFi (FI). Once I switched to FI, my carb days were over.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carb'd: Reserve tank.
FI: Once you're out of gas, you're out of gas.

What do you really want to know? I mean..don't say "everything and anything".. because someone will start saying "Okay, the rake of the bike is 39* and the rims weigh 30kg and the exhaust smells like rainbows and unicorns" or something.. what's really troubling you the most, and then people can help you from there, ya know?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:43 PM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Go for it. I love the fatboy but then again I love most of the models out there.
If you like the look of the 200 tire in the rear then get a 2007 or newer. I am a big fan of the 200 and I think it is a fitting look for the fatboy but thats just me.
Other than that get one, put gas in it and ride.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

One thing you should check is cam tensioners, big issue in these years. Plenty o threads on this on the forums.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Green Hornet
Road Master

IMO fuel injection is the way to go. You cant go wrong with any harley man. They are all awesome!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:56 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Carb'd: Reserve tank.
FI: Once you're out of gas, you're out of gas.

What do you really want to know? I mean..don't say "everything and anything".. because someone will start saying "Okay, the rake of the bike is 39* and the rims weigh 30kg and the exhaust smells like rainbows and unicorns" or something.. what's really troubling you the most, and then people can help you from there, ya know?
Pretty much just need to know what to look for when looking at these bikes. What do I need to steer clear of. What years if any are the problematic years... Things like that... Thx fellas

Last edited by sharpshooter; 09-30-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

2002 was the last year for the hot forged crank and the Timken crank bearing; bottom end started going downhill after that.

I prefer carbed, no dyno, just rejet for upgrades that require rejetting; no ECM to go **** up 350 miles from home; might give up a mile or two per gallon but worth the trade off IMHO.

Cam tensioners could be an issue; a carp shoot. Some will run for 50K miiles without issues and some crap out at less than $10K miles. I would be looking for a bike with a service record so you can see what has been done to the bike. You should at least check, have the dealer check or,better yet, replace the cam tensioners as part of the deal.

I would be looking for a carbed 2002 model with less than 25K miles that has service records. Should be able to find one for about $10K; see the below example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item1c1ed1be56

I have seen some with less than 10K miles; those might demand a little hiiger price. The deals are out there; just have to be patient and look at a lot of bikes.

Quick Reply: Fatboy I need a crash course