Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy I need a crash course

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You can get a lot more used bike from Craigslist than the dealer.

Drew

Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recommend staying away from the 2006 SE Fatboy and the 2007 Fatboy.

When HD went to the 200mm rear tire on the 2006 SE Fatboy, they neglected to offset the primary. To fix the problem, they offset the rear wheel in the frame and consequently had to offset the front wheel to keep the track the same. The only problem was that when the sliders bottomed out they would scrape the paint off the front fender. Harley's fix was to cut notches on the insides of the front sliders.

The 2007 models all came with the 200mm rear tire but, to my knowledge, HD didn't fix the problem until the 2008 model year. At least all of the 2007 Fat Boys I looked at had the same problem.

As far as the FI or carbureted debate, it's a matter of personal taste. I'm old school when it comes to bikes in that I prefer carbureted. However, prefer FI on my cages.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Account Retired
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 01 fatboy with the FI and I preeeeeetty much hate it. Bought a PC3 and it worked for 2 months and now I am having the same old problems. If I had a carb, I could fix it with a screw driver... Do yourself a favor and get a carb.
JUST MY OPINION SO DONT CHEW MY HEAD OFF ANYONE...

Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Account Retired
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

and if you are paying 12k for an 00 to 06, you are paying too much. IMO

Old 10-04-2011, 08:22 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts

Hell seems like 06 07 I need to stay away from and being 08 is the 1st year they fixed the stuff I need to stay away from them too.. so 2000-2005 and 09- to now is what to look at. Now that I know the newer ones come with a 200 tire, Id be more interested in that. My wife is hell bent on heritages for some reason... I cant get past the studs on them.. Something about the bike is off to me.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
My wife is hell bent on heritages for some reason... I cant get past the studs on them.. Something about the bike is off to me.
HA! Yeah, it looks like one of the designers at HD got a Bedazzler for Xmas!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Hell seems like 06 07 I need to stay away from and being 08 is the 1st year they fixed the stuff I need to stay away from them too.. so 2000-2005 and 09- to now is what to look at. Now that I know the newer ones come with a 200 tire, Id be more interested in that. My wife is hell bent on heritages for some reason... I cant get past the studs on them.. Something about the bike is off to me.
Let the wife know that the Fatboy and the Heritage are the same bikes. The Heritage comes with the touring accessories; windshield and bags. You can add those accessories to a Fatboy and dress the bike up or down depending on whether riding solo or two up.

Still think you are missing out by not looking at the earlier models; they have more soul. I don't understand the big deal with a 200 tire; wears out just as fast and cost more to replace.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2007 and up will get you a 200mm rear tire, fuel injection and 6th gear. If you are going to ride this bike for long distances having a 6th gear is a plus. If your just going to cruise around town maybe not such a big requirement. I got my 07 Fatboy last fall....had about 1500 miles on it..........I've put over 10K this summer and most is highway from trips. At 70-75mph 6th gear really drops the RPMs and noise/vibration. The offset front tire has never given me any problems and most people don't even notice it. The only down side to the 200mm rear tire is that it's a little more expensive than a normal size tire but it's not that big of a deal.......and everyone likes the look. Whatever year you get a Fatty is a good choice!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:15 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by djl

Still think you are missing out by not looking at the earlier models; they have more soul. I don't understand the big deal with a 200 tire; wears out just as fast and cost more to replace.
It all comes down to the best deal, Im not opposed to looking at the older models at all... I actually came across a 95 heritage on craigslist last night for 6000... I guess thats either a good deal or there is something wrong with it... was a sharp bike either way

Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

An 06 Fatboy is the better year for the 88TC. The heads flow better than the prior years, which equals more power. Most of the issues were worked out, besides the cam chain tensioners.
The 06 "SE" Fatboy is a different model of Fatboy, it has the 200mm rear tire. I'm not sure about the offset issues, but it makes sense to me.
If I was going to get an 00-06 Fatboy, it would be an 06 FLSTFI.

Quick Reply: Fatboy I need a crash course