Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy I need a crash course

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:36 PM
CJinNH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple things about riding 2-up on a fatboy, if you want to install passenger footboards, you'll need a new exhaust. The shot gun stock exhaust covers the frame mount points for footboards. I didn't care for the stock exhaust running that high on my wife's leg anyway, so there were a few reasons to swap out exhaust. Footboards made the whole passenger experience a joy for my wife, which in turn made taking longer rides possible. A backrest also made things better for her (she has had several back surgeries from getting T-boned years back). I upgraded air filter and pipes so I rejetted my carbs, bike runs great, never had an issue. I am going to check on my cam tensioners this winter as I've just hit 13,500 miles. Another thing about changing pipes, it will also give you more space to install larger saddle bags ( never thought I'd like bags, but now I can't imagine not having them...and bigger is better. We put our collapseable rods and go fishing all the time)

I picked up my 2003 fatboy last year with just under 10k miles for $8,500.00 there are a lot of deals out there if you shop around and learn what to look for.

My next upgrade is 12.5 or 14" apes, the stock bars made me reach a bit, so I got 3.5" pullback risers for the time being...14" apes will cost me $400+ and I don't feel like blowing a lot on the bike until I've booked my yearly carribean vaca.

I love my bike, rides so smooth and feel like it a part of me, when I forst got it I was concerned it would be a big clunky thing, but I am so happy I got it now.

Last edited by CJinNH; 10-01-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:23 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CJinNH
A couple things about riding 2-up on a fatboy, if you want to install passenger footboards, you'll need a new exhaust. The shot gun stock exhaust covers the frame mount points for footboards. I didn't care for the stock exhaust running that high on my wife's leg anyway, so there were a few reasons to swap out exhaust. Footboards made the whole passenger experience a joy for my wife, which in turn made taking longer rides possible. A backrest also made things better for her (she has had several back surgeries from getting T-boned years back). I upgraded air filter and pipes so I rejetted my carbs, bike runs great, never had an issue. I am going to check on my cam tensioners this winter as I've just hit 13,500 miles. Another thing about changing pipes, it will also give you more space to install larger saddle bags ( never thought I'd like bags, but now I can't imagine not having them...and bigger is better. We put our collapseable rods and go fishing all the time)

I picked up my 2003 fatboy last year with just under 10k miles for $8,500.00 there are a lot of deals out there if you shop around and learn what to look for.

My next upgrade is 12.5 or 14" apes, the stock bars made me reach a bit, so I got 3.5" pullback risers for the time being...14" apes will cost me $400+ and I don't feel like blowing a lot on the bike until I've booked my yearly carribean vaca.

I love my bike, rides so smooth and feel like it a part of me, when I forst got it I was concerned it would be a big clunky thing, but I am so happy I got it now.
That's a nice Fatty, right there!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:37 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

11-12K you should be able to get an 07-08. The new models are the way I would go, unless you like the narrow tire on the 00-06 models. As stated before, if you go with an 03-06 get the EFI 00-02 get a carbed Fatboy.
Either way, get one that either had gears or the hybrid kit installed, already. Otherwise, figure on another 500-1000 in cost to fix the tensioner shoes.
As far as the passenger footboards go. you can use them with a stock exhaust. But, the footboards are a good excuse to install a better exhaust.
You will also need a better seat, my wife likes the sundowner.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Im looking at models from 2000- to 2006 more than likely. The years will ultimately be decided by the price, Not looking to spend a whole lot more than about 11 or 12k. What do I need to be keeping and eye out for? Ill be doing some 2 up riding but 80% of the time it will just be me ...
You should not have any problems within that year range. Just look for a bike that's been well maintained, with receipts to prove it. I also agree with the comment that for 11-12K you should be able to get an 07-08. If you find a good '07, just be aware that it's the only year with the offset front wheel. It doesn't cause any handling problems, but the wheel is not centered between the fork tubes. It bugs some people.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:48 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts

Useful stuff guys... Thx

Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Carb'd: Reserve tank.
FI: Once you're out of gas, you're out of gas.
That's not entirely accurate. EFI models have a low-fuel indicator light and a Distance-to-Empty meter. Between the two, you'd have to be a moron to let yourself run out of gas. On mine, the indicator light comes on when I have almost exactly a gallon left in the tank. When that light comes on, I pretty much consider myself running on reserve fuel.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

I might expand the years I have been considering after everything Ive heard from you guys. I initially thought I was going to be looking in the 10-12k range. The wife and I stopped by the dealer Sat to look around and she told him we were trying to stay under 15... Soooo that was great news to me

Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Not trying to start an argument but presenting a different opinion on a couple of points.

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Don't let anyone trying to talk you into a carbed bike, saying that EFI will leave you stranded 350 miles from home cuz you can't work on it on the side of the road. When was the last time an FI car left you stranded (because of faulty injectors/ECM)? EFI is more dependable, period. But yes, carbs are easier to pull off and work on at roadside, provided you have the tools.
ECMs **** the bed from time to time and when they do, you are fukked and dead in the water unless you happen to be carting around a spare. Admittedly, it doesn't happen very often but it does happen; I know of two that failed in the last four years because I was the one that had to go get the trailer and go haul their asses back home. It will NEVER happen with a carburetor. Not saying don't get an EFI bike; just saying that ECMs have been known to die, doesn't happen often but when it does, you are afoot.

As far as the forged cranks go; yeah, they were probably better, but I've never heard of anyone having their crank scissor on '03 and later models. This is an imagined "issue" and not one you will need to worry about.
Forged cranks were not probably better; they were better by any measurement. Carnk sicorring is not an "imagined" issue. Any crank can be tweaked, stock motor or modified doesn't matter; some just tweak but forged are stonger than cast. '07 was the worst year when the supplier changed and it took a year for the new supplier to sort out quality issues. If sharpshooter is looking at later models, he should avoid the '07 model year. Additionally, that was the same year that the MoCo changed the runout spec for warranty purposes from .003" to .012". There are members on this forum that have tweaked cranks and there are those that bought used bikes only find out their crank runout was excessisve only to find out that there was no warranty coverage and a complete motor R/R and tear down or a reman motor was the fix. Not so much shaking on the softails but the vibration can put your hands and feet to sleep in 100 mile ride.

Now, I personally like the look of the older ('06 and earlier) Fatboys better. They had the longer fender and the solid wheels - the look that made me fall in love with them when I saw Arnold kicking *** with one in T2. But I got an '08 because I wanted the 6 speed transmission, the 96ci motor and FI, among other things. All of this is up to you to consider, of course.
+1 on the ealier Fatboys; definitely better looking than the later models. I personally have never seen the need for six speeds unless the bike is intended for high mileage, long haul touring. Having said that, it is considered an upgrade by most and worthy of consideration in your search. If a six speed becomes a criteria, you narrowed down yoru search considerably. As for the 96" motor; better flowing heads, same bore as 88" but longer stroke. Upgrade an 88" to 95" and it will run circles around a stock 96" as a matter of fact, an 88" with a little headwork and cams will run circls around a stock 96". If he does opt for a later model with a six speed, he might also look at the Softail Deluxe.

Best thing sharpshooter can do is to ride a lot of different fatboys. Pass on the '07 model year regardless of how good the price and pay attention to the level of vibration in the grips and floor boards on every bike he rides.

Last edited by djl; 10-04-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

I think I have ruled out an 07 for sure... Now, since my trip to the dealer on Sat the deluxe has peaked my interest a bit more after seeing one in person... Decisions, decisions....

Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Engine wise, you need to watch for the 'Cam chain Tensioner' issues on the TC88, easy but costly fix.
The Power is comparable.
Transmission wise, the 6th speed on the 2007 & UP Model is worth it if you are going to tour for long long rides, but given most FatBoys I saw (note the word 'most') I think it won't be an issue.
Finally Looks.
prior to 2006 the rear wheel was 150 (it was 130 on 2000-2003 but could easily upgrade to 150). after that the rear wheel is 200.

This is your call , in my own eyes (and the eyes of the bobber crowd which is 'in vogue' now), the skinny 150 is 100% retro amazing look, and the 200 is not. but those things change often.

This pretty much sums up most of the differences, the rest is minor.

Quick Reply: Fatboy I need a crash course