Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New..to me..06 Softail Deluxe Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 03:59 AM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New..to me..06 Softail Deluxe Questions

Hey everyone. Bear with me but I have some questions. Searched for hours on here about 06 Deluxs and got osme good info but got tired of reading same threads and just plain tired of reading through all the posts. Im going to pick up an 06 Deluxe tomorrow as long as the bank comes thru, for $8k. I went over this thing wih a fine tooth comb for an hour and could only see a few swirls and one pe point size dent through the whole bike. No leaks, no wear, no scratches or signs of dropped/mistreatment at all. Was owned by a lady who only rode maybe once a month...which equals to 7556 mi on an 06. Has V&H pipes, Big bore kit, good bit of chrome, detachable windshield, digital oil dipstick, and few other things. Mainly I want to immediately put some Lindby mustache guards and some 14 in apes. What is the stock riser size and these are 1 1/4 in bars right? I want 15" rise total but no less than 14". What are the best bars in your opinions and what cabe extension kits do I need. Also does anyone know where I can get the Heritage springer bags or ones like them? I have looked on Boss Bags and another one but wondering if anyone knows something else or what works best. I want the bigger bags for more storage and the Deluxe bags are too small!!! I eventually want duals. Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Sorry for such a long post but I had a bit to say/ask.... V/R Josh

Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For bags you could go hog deluxe or boss bags, have you thought about hard bags?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:56 AM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer

Yeah I saw the thread with all the hard bags on Deluxes. Just not the style I wanna go with. I like the leather bag look on this style bike. Also I've seen all the threads with the Cholos n all but do you know of anyone with the Samson slash cut true duals? I just don't like the tails too much. I'd rather go with a crossover pipe as well for more torque b/c i know actual true duals have less back compression and you lose torque from past experiences. I know everyone always says do searches and trust me..I've been reading for hours and hours the last couple days since I had to use some of my leave from work.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Osprey makes some very nice bags as well.For your other questions.The stock risers are a 4" pull back risers.The stock bars are NOT 1 1/4 " they are 1 ".For Apes the two most popular are Carlini and Wildone chubbys both great bars.Although there are plenty of other nice ones as well.Cables, the most popular seem to be the Magnum Sterling Chromite II cables.For wire extensions ethier Novello or Namz.Once you decide on the size of Apes you can figure out the size of cables and wire ext kit you need.You should also change to poly riser bushings when going to apes.Remenber Carlini Apes run a little taller than advertised. Try to stick with under 2" straight risers when running apes. Pull back or tall risers just dont look right with apes IMO.I noticed no loss of power with with my Samson Tru dual cholos(no baffles).By the seat of my pants dyno.But I did a PCV and high flow AC all at once.So maybe that made up the difference.Dr V Twin will help you with all the correct sizes and parts you need.Plus you will get a good deal as well.

Last edited by Malingerer; 09-30-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:42 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get wild 1's bars chrome jobs are **** had mine on my bike for 3 years still look like the day i got them minus the bugs.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer

Yeah I like the Wild 1's but what size are the stock risers? Are they 2" high and take 1 1/4" bars or what? Also I've read about the shotgu shocks and the Progressive 422's. I'm 6'2" and 255 so from your experiences...what do you think would be best set up for me. I'll mostly be doing solo ridin with occasional 2 up riding. I like the idea of the SS but seems out of my price range for now. Maybe they'll come to Las Vegas sometime for a show and have a deal like last time but until then just too much money for me. As for the exhaust, any word on duals with a crossover pipe? I've looked on V&H site as well as Samson and watched You Tube videos and read a lot of posts on here but noone gives a definitive answer on the crossover. I read some talk of it but noone said which pipes have it.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I see the springer bags on Ebay all the time, but they cost a few dollars - very popular bags.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer

Well damn...that's a lot of good info already! That's why this place is so good. I was trying to remember the risers from memory but as long as I looked at it that's one of the last things I really paid attention to so thanks for telling me. I'm trying to get stuff in order to walk in to my local Indy and tell him to throw it on so it's done n ready quick. I know, I know, do it yourself....I am a mechanic on helicopters n d a lot of my own work on my old Wide Glide I'd rather just let him throw the whole bar set up on in a day or two rather than fight with it for a couple days by myself. So what do ya'll think of the price? KBB list it as b/n 11870 an 13780 not ncluding all the extras that's on it,,,esp the big bore kit. I think it's decent but is there something ya'll may know I'm not thinking of or know myself since I don't know a whole lot about the 06 Deluxes Thank ya for all the good info so far

Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

The 06's are 88 cu in 5 spd. The 07 and newer are 96 cu in 6 sp. The one you are looking at may have the big bore kit. But I still like my 6 spd on the highway.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:05 PM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer

Malingerer...yeah i knew those specs but all my other bikes in the past with exception of 2010 WG were 5 speeds so i figure I'll e alright. I've already looked at the 6 speed upgrade and that might be something for later down the road. Anyone have experience with the 6 speed upgrade? Is it worth it?

Quick Reply: New..to me..06 Softail Deluxe Questions