Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Grip Ace and Exile Cycles internal throttle after a few hundred miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:06 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thoughts on Grip Ace and Exile Cycles internal throttle after a few hundred miles

I psoted everything I did all in one thread and I just got a PM asking about the grip Ace and the internal throttle so here is a thread for teh Grip Ace and Exile internal throttle.

First off, I had no idea how this project was going to turn out as I have never run an internal throttle and was not sure how the operation of the Grip Ace along with the install was going to be.

I read the instructions for both (which were very thorough) and it sounded simple enough. So I thought. I was not planning on welding the internal throttle to the bars but using the set screws only to keep the isntall a bit simpler.

Well, that was not possible with my Carlini's as the amount of the bar that had to be cut off and the dimpling for internal wiring made it so that there was no support on the bottom of the throttle for the internal throttle.

The Carlini's are double walled and it was a lot of work to get them setup for the internal throttle. First I had to cut about 4" off. That was simple. Next I had to take a dremel and thin out the bars so that the throttle would fit inside the bars due to their thickness. This took quite a while.

Once that was done, I drilled holes in the bars for teh set screws and attached the internal throttle. Like I said above, there was nothing on teh bottom of the bar due to the dimpling and this combined with the thinning down of the bars left the throttle holding in place, but it was not sturdy enough without being welded. If you are going to do this I highly recommend welding the throttle to the bars. It only took a few minutes.

Next I had to take a dremel and smooth out the welds as I was having a spacer made for in between the grip and the master cylinder. I got the all my parts direct from Russell at Exile.

He took the time to explain everything to me about how it all worked and answered all of my questions.

Once I had the welds all smoothed out I assembled the throttle as per the instructions and ran the cable internally on my bars. I was not so sure about the length of the cable, but after a few tries, I discovered it was about an inch too long for my 16" Flyin' Apes. The throttle cable provided by Exile comes with the adjsuter on teh bottom (for by the carb) so you can easily access it.

I had to dremel the sleeve that feeds into the fuel injection as it was a little too wide. The way the throttle works there is a copper sleeve that you feed the cable into and that gets slid into the inner throttle. This is held in place by two set screws in the inner throttle. There is ball or ferrule on the grip side of the throttle cable.

Once the throttle is assembled it works great. I put a little grease on it before closing it up and it was too much. the throttle got sticky. So I took it apart again and wiped most of it off. It snaps back just as if it had an idle cable. Running the throttle cable through the bars was painless.

On to the Grip Ace. This a a 4 button pad that utilized the same type of buttons on an iphone except the button are convex, not concave. there is one black cable that coems out of teh end of teh grip ace and plugs into the GA module.

The grip from exile comes machined for the GA but with my apes it seems the buttons would have been on the very bottom of the grip and unreachable while riding so I dremeled out some more of the inside of the grip to accommodate the needed space for the GA wiring. It worked fine until I pulled the grip to avhe a spacer made at which point I discovered that the channel I made was not deep enough to keep the wire from getting crushed right where it comes off of the GA.

Posted on GA's facebook and sent them an email on Sunday afternoon around 5 pm. They called me back at 1040PM Sunday and told me they would bring a new one to my pad. I ended up going to their offices as I felt that was unnecessary but I was impressed with the offer.

I mounted the grip ace module (about 5" long with two wiring plugs coming off it)under the fork tins and ran the wiring down the bars with the new GA button pad and plugged it in. Could not get it to work. Called them (They answered right away) and was told that if the light are flashing on the module the connection is not being made. That is what was happening. I accidentally pulled the plug on the end of the wiring from the button pad that plugs into the module off the wires. I cut it off and soldered it on. It worked great.

So I got it all buttoned up and set the grip ace in it's place in the grip, using a jewelers screwdriver to get the edges of the button pad perfect. Gave it a whirl and all was good.

Left button is bright/lo, next is left signal, next is horn(I don't have one)and the right most button is the right signal. Hit both buttons furthest left and you get hazards. Hit both right buttons and it starts the bike. I gotta tell you, I'd love to watch someone try to start my bike who knows nothing about this., They would never be able to figure it out.

I am sure I have left quite a bit out and am yet to throw up and pics, but give me a few hours and I'll get some up.

Would I do both of these mods again after having done them once? Absolutely. I have no switch housing on my bars anymore a slick 4 button black pad that controls everything. The one function you do lose is the run stop switch. The whiote and gray wires on teh right side (exhaust side)get soldered together so that the fuel pump turns on by itself when the bike is turned on. Very slick.

A few pics for now
Throttle side with a custom made spacer from my buddy Ron (my1sthog on the forums)

Left side with view of grip ace.

Both sides...I am going to get a PM master cylinder and have the spacers machined again so everything is perfectly smooth. As soon as I get a chance to roll down to PM I'll get it done. I am going to ahve a mirror clamp for the left side custom made as well so it all flows.

I am sure someone has questions. Ask away.

Drew

Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good writeup. Now get one of your buddies to fab up a throttle boss and file 13 that out of place one.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM
anubisss
Banned

One thing at a time. Good idea. I will having to have my spacers modified once I get the new PM mater cylinder anyway. that is as good a chem as any. You going to LV Bikefest this year?

Drew

Old 09-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had planned to, but got stuck working overtime to cover another co-worker.

I do look forward to your crazy pictures from there.
You usually post some great ones along with funny ones.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

everything looks fantastic , so clean and simple . my only question is do you find yourself hitting the horn when you mean to signal , or do you have to spend some time with it to get right ?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks good! Is it compatible with the new HDLAN system?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The finished product looks outstanding.But getting there seems like its no bolt on procedure.Seems like you need LOTS of know how and a few friends in the business to turn to for help.Is there any easier way to do something like this?I was really interested in doing this after seeing Fireman 1501's bike in person.But it is seems to take more tinkering ,knowledge, and ballz than I have to complete the project (welding,cutting spacers,cutting bars)etc.I honestly don't think I have what it takes to complete this job correctly.I don't know maybe it's the fear of the unknown.Or its not as bad as it sounds.But it does look REALLY slick.Is there a reason you did not do an internal brake line as well?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write up Drew! It looks pretty slick all cleaned up!

Got a deal on a Grip Ace lot on ebay - 3 controllers, 2 wire harnesses, 3 pre-made rubber grips, and one chrome grip with pad installed for $199. It apparently all works (some is nib), just need to remove the pad from the chrome grip, and I'll have spare parts! Might need to get an instruction sheet from them, but hopefully that's it. Got that streamline internal throttle sittin here too ($120 on ebay with cable), just waitin for the cold weather to get it started! Seeing yours complete has me itchin to start the work!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 PM
anubisss
Banned

I don't have a horn so no. I don't know about compatibility with the HDLAN system. Call them up at 909 223-7773. I can't remember the guys name but he is really cool. t6his is his cell.

Tom, I might have made it sound more complicated than it is, but I had a few buddies over and we got it done pretty easily between all of us. I took the bars to get welded. It took two minutes and cost $20.

I'd say it is a good winter project for those of you who have winter. You can do it. I left out the pics of teh wiring. I disassembled teh connectors for the handlebar control wires and followed the GA instructions for soldering. Not a big deal, but also not quite a bolt on mod.

I'd say that anyone who wants to do this is capable, it just takes a little bit of time and patience. I almost let all the stuff that had to be done scare me off from doing this as well, but then I figured if someone else can do this so can I.

Drew

Drew

Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 PM
anubisss
Banned

One more thing. Initially I was a little Leary about operating everything with my left hand, but it has all come back to me very quick as I used to ride metrics and anyone who has ridden one knows that both signals are with the left hand along with some other stuff. It's been so long i can't remember anything but the signals.

Drew

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Grip Ace and Exile Cycles internal throttle after a few hundred miles