Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Grip Ace and Exile Cycles internal throttle after a few hundred miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drew sorry for all the questions.But do you know if Carlini makes bars that are not dimpled for wiring? If so would this eliminate the welding part? I was thinking of changing to 1 1/2 " Flying Apes instead of my current 1 1/4 Gangster's.For more pullback and the thicker look.If so that would be one less thing to worry about.Or do you still recommend welding them?Everything would probably make more sense if I had the parts to look at in person.

Another question? Part of the reason I never bought the 1 1/2 " Carlini is because they seem very wide to me at 41.5 " end to end.Instead of making the spacers for the bars could you just cut the bars on both sides.So the grips would be next to the mirror clamp on one side and the master cylinder clamp on the other side.Eliminating the spacers all together.And bringing the overall length of the bars down (end to end).What are those spacers about 2" long on each side? Would that work or is it even possible?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:42 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Questions are good. I don't think they make non dimpled bars but am not sure. Call them and ask. I would recommend welding it regardless to be sure it stays in place.

As far as the spacers go, once I get mine all done with everything I am sure I could get you the dimensions or hook you up with my buddy who made them and have him use mine as a template. I'd say the spacers are about 1.5" or so.

I Just measured the bars. 39.5" wide now so they are 2" narrower. I guess you could make them a bit narrower as long as the internal throttle is welded in. You might have to drill a hole for the throttle cable and Grip Ace wiring, but It could be done. It will just take a little time and measuring to figure it out. If I had not planned on using the set screws isntead of welding I could have made them narrower now that I think about it.

Remember you will need new risers as well if you get the 1.5" bars. You should do this mod. Not as big a deal as it seems. Time and patience will pay off big time for you. Your bike is already so nice that this will be the icing on the cake.

Drew

Drew

Old 09-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do make bars that do not have a dimple in them. You have to order bars that are for the throttle by wire. That I what mine are Thomas. It is a fun mod. Just take your time. I know you will have the time once it starts snowing up there. Or come down to Texas.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fireman1501
They do make bars that do not have a dimple in them. You have to order bars that are for the throttle by wire. That I what mine are Thomas. It is a fun mod. Just take your time. I know you will have the time once it starts snowing up there. Or come down to Texas.
Thanks Rob.Your bars have been renting space in my head ever since I saw them.Now I see Drew's bars and it is just a SUPER CLEAN look.I don't see how I cant give it a shot.Time ,I will have plenty of that soon no doubt.Its the skill and patience I'm worried about lol.After seeing your speaker mounts,bars and the custom bars you made for your buddy's V Rod.It is obvious that you are a very talented and skilled in working with metal.Me not so much.I have a feeling you and Drew will be getting lots of PM's If I decide to take this project on.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
Questions are good. I don't think they make non dimpled bars but am not sure.
They do take orders for custom handlebars, yo can get them anyway you want.

@Malingerer, yes, there is a simpler but more expensive way to do this and it is getting Cyril Huze apes which come with everything pre-wired internally (clutch, brake lines, electrical and throttle/idle) those are plug and play but you have to convert your clutch from mechanical to hydraulic, easy to do, there are several systems in the market.

The Huze's setup is beautiful the switches are concealed and you only see flawless smoth lines from grip to grip.

Check 'em out:

http://store.cyrilhuze.com/CyrilHuze...roductID=10225

http://store.cyrilhuze.com/CyrilHuze...roductID=10231

Mimo.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM
2DAKERB
Road Master

That came out real clean. Thanks for the write up.
I run a cheapie internal throttle and opted to do the set screws instead of welding.
Ended up tapping 4 screws to hold and center the mechanism.
So far no problems after a few thousand miles.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malingerer
Thanks Rob.Your bars have been renting space in my head ever since I saw them.Now I see Drew's bars and it is just a SUPER CLEAN look.I don't see how I cant give it a shot.Time ,I will have plenty of that soon no doubt.Its the skill and patience I'm worried about lol.After seeing your speaker mounts,bars and the custom bars you made for your buddy's V Rod.It is obvious that you are a very talented and skilled in working with metal.Me not so much.I have a feeling you and Drew will be getting lots of PM's If I decide to take this project on.
You got my number brotha. I will help you out anyway I can.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:01 PM
anubisss
Banned

Originally Posted by mimo
They do take orders for custom handlebars, yo can get them anyway you want.

@Malingerer, yes, there is a simpler but more expensive way to do this and it is getting Cyril Huze apes which come with everything pre-wired internally (clutch, brake lines, electrical and throttle/idle) those are plug and play but you have to convert your clutch from mechanical to hydraulic, easy to do, there are several systems in the market.

The Huze's setup is beautiful the switches are concealed and you only see flawless smoth lines from grip to grip.

Check 'em out:

http://store.cyrilhuze.com/CyrilHuze...roductID=10225

http://store.cyrilhuze.com/CyrilHuze...roductID=10231

Mimo.

Thanks for the info Mimo. I had no idea. Just got back from 800 miles in the last few days. the throttle and grip ace work perfect. No issues, no problems, just riding.

Drew

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 AM
anubisss
Banned

Those bars above are made by CCCS. I spent some time talking with them in Vegas. Gary and Butch are great guys and extremely knowledgable. The bars are super clean. Everything is inside including the master cylinder. I think JPL has them on his ride. Sleek indeed.

Drew

Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM
robychopper
Stage I

Originally Posted by jreichart
Got a deal on a Grip Ace lot on ebay -
hello do u still have some of the gripace lot??

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Grip Ace and Exile Cycles internal throttle after a few hundred miles