Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail handling

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011 | 11:39 PM
rollingthndr
Novice

I have a 2011 fatboy. Didnt care too much for the feel of the stock bikes riding position. Added a set of 13" chubby bars and a badlander seat, and it changed the whole bike. It is as comfortable as any bike I have rode. Rear suspension is no hell, but I will cure that with some 422 progressive shocks.

Old 09-27-2011 | 01:16 AM
BrianG
Tourer

I just traded pinks with a fellow and ended up with an Anniversary NT in trade for my 2005 Duc 999S......
There's something different in the ride....~

Old 09-27-2011 | 08:46 AM
paullaura
Novice

Just bought a 2012 fatboy and I think it handles fine.

I had a fatbob before this and I think the only thing was it felt like it had more ground clearance than the fatboy.

I dont think it handled any better though.

Old 09-27-2011 | 09:37 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

I went from riding Dynas to my Heritage Softail; different as night and day. My Heritage feels more stable on the road with the wider tires. Curves are a piece of cake, a little pressure on the apes, grab some throttle and commence to grindin'...

Old 09-27-2011 | 10:09 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JDHay
I appreciate everyone's response to my initial question. I had a dealer here in VA tell me that there was a reason that HD stopped making the NT and that I should move on to the Wide Glide, that is was a better riding bike. But there is just something about the NT and the hardtail look that hasn't let me move to the WG. Once the I get home again, the local dealer has a NT ready for me to test ride.
Thanks again for the insight.
He told you that because all he has to sell you is a WG and he wants to make a sell.

I get a kick out of Harley "handling" threads. At the end of the day they're all still Harleys. Want something that "handles?" buy an R1!

Old 09-27-2011 | 10:22 AM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

My Fatboy handles just as good or better than my old Sportser or Dyna.

Also feel the wider tires and heavier weight makes it more comfy and stabil with less bouncing around.

Last edited by Totally Bored; 09-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2011 | 11:20 AM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master

Originally Posted by Martimus
In my opinion, the Dyna has certain handling similarities to the Sportster but it's still a much different ride. To me, touring bikes are big and heavy lumbering beasts initially but are very comfortable once you get used to them.

Personally I like how the Softail handles... it's a happy medium in between the hot rod ride of the Sportster and Dyna; and the big comfy couch that is a touring bike.
All true. Only thing I might add is to me Dynas and Sporties feel very much alike. One of the main reasons I went from a Sporty to a Heritage.

Originally Posted by JDHay
have been told that at idol the Softail is nice and smooth but once you accelerate, it vibrates like heck at speed and that the Dyna is just the opposite.
I cruise a lot at 75 to 85 and I don't notice any vibration at all. I don't know if I could handle the way a Dyna or bagger vibrates at idle.

Old 09-27-2011 | 05:20 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Martimus
You're comparing apples to oranges...

There are few similarities in their handling characteristics. Think about the differences between riding a Sporty and a Softail. Both are related by heritage but not much more similarity exists.

In my opinion, the Dyna has certain handling similarities to the Sportster but it's still a much different ride. To me, touring bikes are big and heavy lumbering beasts initially but are very comfortable once you get used to them.

Personally I like how the Softail handles... it's a happy medium in between the hot rod ride of the Sportster and Dyna; and the big comfy couch that is a touring bike.
Wonderfully said.

Just traded my 2010 Ultra Limited for a 2012 Heritage Softtail. Had a few big bikes over the years and my last Ultra will be my last big bagger. Yeah, great from long tours but I don't do that anymore and really wanted something sportier and more fun.

Softtail does that and much more. Handling at any speed is very nice, it much lighter than the big baggers (250 lbs less than my Ultra Limited), gets 20 percent better mileage, and rides great on unimproved roads (dirt and gravel).

Old 09-27-2011 | 05:31 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BrianG
I just traded pinks with a fellow and ended up with an Anniversary NT in trade for my 2005 Duc 999S......
There's something different in the ride....~

They feel the same to me

Old 09-27-2011 | 07:43 PM
JDHay
Stage III

Hollywood Ball,
I thought of that as I sat on the '07 NT and looked over at two 2012 WGs and a 2011 WG still new.
Again, I appreciate everyone's input.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Softail handling