Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you trickle charge your fuel injected bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So, is the one Harley sells a trickle charger, or is it a battery tender? I leave it plugged it in when I'm not riding.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

battery tender in the winter. got nervous this year and had mine tested at the harley shop. battery still good and I'm in the 6th year. maybe I'll get a new one this winter just for *****.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:16 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The one HD sells is a tender, not a trickle charger.

Originally Posted by Jaburg1
So, is the one Harley sells a trickle charger, or is it a battery tender? I leave it plugged it in when I'm not riding.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is on a tender when I'm not riding her...

Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anytime I'm not riding its on an optimizer, I don't go on many long rides, lots of stop/starting, and that's a big ask with an engine of that size.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

If you use a Battery Tender (Smart Charger) there really isn't any such thing as too much. This is because the Charger will maintain the battery in a Float Charge once the battery reaches 98% - 100% State of Charge (SOC). On the other hand, if the bike will not be used significantly for 30 days or more, the self discharge rate of the battery, coupled with the subsequent recharging that eventually will be required will definitely subtract from the life of the battery. How much is subtracted is dependent on how discharged the battery becomes before it is recharged, how fast it is recharged (slow is better but the charging system on your bike is a fast charger), and how many times this scenario is repeated. Take the battery below 50% SOC (what is generally considered a discharged battery) more than 5 times and that will pretty much do it in fairly quickly. Less than that . . .

Old 09-25-2011, 12:22 AM
kipd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Battery Tenders since 2000 on all my bikes. I plug them in whenever I finish riding. They usually dont go to many days without being plugged in. In 2009, i sold my Yamaha Roadstar with the original battery still in it. I purchased the Roadstar in 1999, the battery still worked perfectly fine. I swear by Tenders

Old 09-25-2011, 12:47 AM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jd Swiper
Someone told me yesterday that I should trickle charge my fuel injected scoot whenever I'm not riding but as of now I only trickle charge in colder weather! I haven't trickle charged all summer! How about you guys??
Anytime scooter is parked in the garage especially in the warmer weather as heat kills batteries.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Mine is plugged into a Battery Tender Jr. whenever the bike is parked in the garage. I bought the bike in Oct 05 (it's an o6 model) and the battery has a date of 05 on it. I'll probably replace it next spring just as preventative measure.

I'm also a believer in keeping them on a Battery Tender.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

On the Tender anytime I won't be riding for 2 weeks or more. never a problem with batteries.

Quick Reply: How often do you trickle charge your fuel injected bike