Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Docking Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006 | 10:20 PM
tchop
|
Advanced
Default Docking Hardware

A friend of mine has asked me to install a detachable sissy bar on his 2004 FatBoy. I have done afew things to my own bike,I suppose that is the reason he asked me for help.It seems pretty simple to me,but I have been told that relocating the rear turn signals can be a pain in the ****. Any one have experiance or advise? Thanks in advance

Old 11-22-2006 | 11:23 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Docking Hardware

good question...I am thinking about doing the same so any info. will be appreciated on my 06 Fatboy.

Old 11-22-2006 | 11:31 PM
tbroenick97
Tourer

Didnt do the work myself, but have a thing to consider...
have you seen what the mounts for the turn signals look like once this relocation kit is installed? may want to check it out cause imho they look bad compared to stock, i wish i had got something aftermarket when i had it all done. just saying you may want to check this before you do it then wish you had done something else while you had it all apart.

Old 11-22-2006 | 11:43 PM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member

Here's a pic of my detachable backrest in place. Way back when I had the hardware installed at the dealer so I can't help you with the relocation kit installation. But I got a pic for ya.

As you can see everything looks pretty normal

[IMG]local://upfiles/9521/6C4DE5C919F242A49632B96F7F7550C3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-23-2006 | 12:29 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member

I was pretty disappointed with the turn signal mounts for the relocation kit also.

ORIGINAL: tbroenick97
Didnt do the work myself, but have a thing to consider...
have you seen what the mounts for the turn signals look like once this relocation kit is installed? may want to check it out cause imho they look bad compared to stock, i wish i had got something aftermarket when i had it all done. just saying you may want to check this before you do it then wish you had done something else while you had it all apart.

Old 11-23-2006 | 01:02 AM
jhugs92
Advanced

i installed the relocation kit on my 07 fxst, kinda sucked as you have to cut and splice the turn signal wiring. not sure about the f/b's though. but i thought it sucked to have to cut the wiring on a brand new bike.

Old 11-23-2006 | 01:12 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Do you have to relocate turn signals with a rigid mount sissy bar? It may be worth just bolting it on when I use it and unbolting it when I remove it. I will only ride 2 up about 30 % of the time.

This freakin sucks, nothing is ever simple with these bikes. I love my bike, but geez, this could be so much easier. It kind of seems to be a trend with HD.

Old 11-23-2006 | 01:38 AM
jhugs92
Advanced

no, you wouldn't. but, it would look silly riding around with the side plates on the bike and no sissy bar. or at least, that is my personal opinion.

Old 11-23-2006 | 12:04 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member

No, you won't have to switch the turn signals with the rigid mounts. I tried that route of unbolting and bolting when I wanted to go two up and accidently put a nick on the rear fender on my new bike. So to avoid that happening again I returned the rigids and got the detachables. Much easier and quicker, but yes the turn signal stems aren't as nice as the stock, but I can live with it.
ORIGINAL: WARG

Do you have to relocate turn signals with a rigid mount sissy bar? It may be worth just bolting it on when I use it and unbolting it when I remove it. I will only ride 2 up about 30 % of the time.

This freakin sucks, nothing is ever simple with these bikes. I love my bike, but geez, this could be so much easier. It kind of seems to be a trend with HD.

Old 11-23-2006 | 01:08 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Hey guys check this out. I have already engineered and tested the fix for both problems. The stock signal pedestals can be used with the rigid mount, so use the rigid mount and modify it to make it easilly removable. Here's a pic of my 05 Nightrain with sissy bar/rack/"full dresser " bag and a quick sketch of how to modify your rigid mount plates.
I hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18505/1DB6EF7B461A454B9B2B2D742D09A8B0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18505/2CCE59E2B0CA4322918932F068684671.jpg[/IMG]

P.S. You should notice that the rear slot is drawn leaning slightly forward. This is intentional and yes, you will have to loosten and tighten the two bolts on each side to remove/install the sissy bar. I used the hardware that came with the sideplates and sandwiched the washers in between the side plate and fender strut when the sissy bar was installed. This keeps the sideplates off of the struts.

Quick Reply: Docking Hardware