Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Docking Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006 | 02:02 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Docking Hardware

can you post an upclose pick of the side plate? That peeks my interest quite a bit.

Old 11-23-2006 | 02:28 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain

I have the detachable side plate set up and I didn't want to use the light relocation kit. I replaced my tail light with a panacea tail light with built in turn signals. I removed the stock turn signals and filled the holes in the fender struts with chrome plugs which come stock on a Deluxe.

Old 11-24-2006 | 04:45 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Sure

[IMG]local://upfiles/18505/C0A3455105DE4381A1DAE4485ED72452.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18505/EBF79E0827034E50BD3FE51015C13F8A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18505/B9AA59D9595540FB9CCD83A8A824177C.jpg[/IMG]

I may sell this set-up, if anyone is interested. I may be able to replace the side plates and use it on my 07. It fits 05 back to ?

Old 11-24-2006 | 08:55 AM
bone2
Tourer

The origional turn signal mouunt is oblong. Shaped kind of like an airplain wing. It uses the rear 2 holes in the fender strut.
1 for mount screw. 2nd for wiring.

The relocation kit only uses the very last hole. It is a tube with threaded ends. It serves as mount for light and raceway for conductors.

It is a pain in the but to do. THE DIRECTIONS IF FOLLOWED ARE A GREAT HELP.
To look at the situation one would feel directions are not a big deal but they will save you time and aggrivation.
You don't need to remove rear fender. You do need to loosen it.
When attempting to feed wires through new mount bracket....(or tube) lubricate wires (no petrolium) liquid soap is fine. Got an elcetrician friend? Get some wire lube from him. It is a tight fit for those conductors.
Take your time. Better to take it slow than to scratch your paint!

When all is done they don't look bad at all.
My 06 kit is shorter than my buddies 03. I think mine looks much better.
Must be buch easier to get wires through also.
George

Old 11-24-2006 | 11:46 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

do you have to remove the rear tire to access the wires, etc?

Old 11-24-2006 | 12:40 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

No, but the job will be made easier with the bike on a lift (15" high or so, so the back tire can hang) and you sitting on a shorty "brake" stool.

Old 11-24-2006 | 05:03 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

got the lift and the stool. So I guess you cut the wires to get the stock Turn Signal Stem off and then run the wires througth the new Turn Signal stem and sodder the connections and add heat shrink. Does that about sound right?

Old 11-24-2006 | 05:21 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I was told that on on my 2005 Fat Boy the rear signal wires plug into the tail light assembly. I should be able to remove the rear tail light unplug the signal wires than remove the signals and pull the wires through the strut hole. It will be about a week before my new mini bullet rear blinkers arrive, so I haven't pulled the tail light to check out the connections. I intend to swap out the rear signal lights without jacking up the bike. You can see how the wires are routed by looking under the fender from the rear. There are a couple of clips you need to rout the old and new wires through to keep them away from the tire.
Tom

Old 11-24-2006 | 05:49 PM
NoVaThunder
Tourer

ORIGINAL: tmitchellof PG

I was told that on on my 2005 Fat Boy the rear signal wires plug into the tail light assembly. I should be able to remove the rear tail light unplug the signal wires than remove the signals and pull the wires through the strut hole.
Tom,

If your Fatbay is the same as my Standard the connectors can be unplugged inside the tailight. They are able to be pulled back into the fender through the tailight but they will not fit through the hole in the fender behind the strut. So it will require cutting the connector off the wires to get the original signals off unless the hole behind your fender strut is larger than the one I found on my bike and the Springer Classic I have changed the signals on.

Old 11-24-2006 | 06:03 PM
bone2
Tourer

No , just jack up the bike a little bit.

Put your hand under the fender behind the tail light.
You will find a plastic cover, it comes by removing a nut.
There you will find the terminal connectors for turn signals.
Directions come with harley's relocation kit.....very helpful!

George

Quick Reply: Docking Hardware