Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Heritage or trade for Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011 | 08:25 AM
dgb
|
Advanced
Default Build Heritage or trade for Road King

I can't decide what to do guys. I own a 2006 Heritage that I (we) really enjoy. It is pretty much stock, just stage 1 and slipons. I think the new 103 motor would be a nice upgrade for riding two up. Sometimes we load that 88 incher pretty heavy. I have looked at both Road Kings, Ultras and another Heritage. I really like the way the Heritage rides and the OL doesn't mind the ride either. Most of what we do is weekend riding. Our one "big" trip is to Sturgis, but its only 1200 mile round trip. I think I would like the 103, 6 speed and cruise control on the tourers. So after all of that, I am torn between pulling the trigger on a new bike or building the '06 into a 95 incher and forget about it. I could buy a new Heritage but I still would not be able to get cruise. What to do, what to do...

Old 09-23-2011 | 08:42 AM
jmscharff2
6th Gear

My father purchased an 88 inch ultra a year ago. If you want to keep your bike instead of buying a new one for 5-10 grand you can have a 95 that will out perform the 103 no problem. A 95 bore out from an 88 is going to be faster than the 96 inchers. If you get some new cams in there you could easily reach your 103 mark. That being said I have a Fatboy and a Road King I love that road king for longer trips nothing beats it, great ride. I only ride solo for long trips but I would deff say it is the way to go, so I would pull the trigger on getting the Road King. It is a great bike for around the town and for longer trips. Hope this helps

Old 09-23-2011 | 09:08 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member

go rent a road king for a day and put some miles on it. See how you like the rubber mounted engine and overall feel. That would be the reason to by the RK.

As an owner of both a '06 RK w/ 88ci and 5 spd, and a '11 WG with 96ci and 6spd, I don't think the engine and tranny difference alone is worth buying a new bike if you are happy with what you have.

Old 09-23-2011 | 09:12 AM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master

[quote=dgb;8851773]I can't decide what to do guys. I own a 2006 Heritage that I (we) really enjoy. It is pretty much stock, just stage 1 and slipons. I think the new 103 motor would be a nice upgrade for riding two up. Sometimes we load that 88 incher pretty heavy. I have looked at both Road Kings, Ultras and another Heritage. I really like the way the Heritage rides and the OL doesn't mind the ride either. Most of what we do is weekend riding. Our one "big" trip is to Sturgis, but its only 1200 mile round trip. I think I would like the 103, 6 speed and cruise control on the tourers. So after all of that, I am torn between pulling the trigger on a new bike or building the '06 into a 95 incher and forget about it. I could buy a new Heritage but I still would not be able to get cruise. What to do, what to do...[/quote

Yes you can have cruise control on your Heritage. I have one of these and, it works great...check it out

http://www.cruisemount.com/

Old 09-23-2011 | 09:45 AM
dgb
|
Advanced

Thanks for the info guys. What is the thought on the 6 speed tranny? Better than the 5 speed? Is it worth trading for? I assume the answer is no, but it would be nice to have one more gear sometimes on the interstate @ 75 or 80 mph.

Old 09-23-2011 | 09:56 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dgb
Thanks for the info guys. What is the thought on the 6 speed tranny? Better than the 5 speed? Is it worth trading for? I assume the answer is no, but it would be nice to have one more gear sometimes on the interstate @ 75 or 80 mph.
No one can really answer this but you. You have 2 options to figure this one out:

1. Go rent a newer road king, put some major highway miles on it and see how you like the extra gear.
2. If you can, go buy a Road King. Ride both for a year or 2, then get rid of one.

Simply put, words can't answer this question.

Old 09-23-2011 | 10:07 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain

I have been in the same boat for some time now as well. I have an 06 FB, with motor work already done. I have added the RK custom bags and a fairing for long trip comfort along with a shotgun shock. I have been looking/wanting a Road Glide for some time now. But have decided to keep the FB for the following reasons.

1. It is paid for
2. Can not get nearly enough for trade or a quality offer for my bike
3. Already know there are no problems with my bike
4. Rode a 2012 and decided my 95 motor was way better, runs cooler, more power etc. and to get a new one to where I want it is even more money, plus I know my motor is bullet proof, new one have way to large of tolerances for me and my riding style.
5. with the added shotgun shock ride comfort is great for two up (we only do 1 long trip a year)
6. It is really nice to be able to go back to a stripped down bike when I want to
7. Baggers are the craze right now, and I like have something different
8. If I hold out till the kids are older and the wife and I can do more long distance riding I should be able to just add a bike.

One of the bigger reasons I would like a new bike though is for the abs. Just got back from a 3000 plus mile trip and was involved (rear ended by buddy not paying attention) and saw a few accidents (similar to mine people not paying attention following to close) where abs would of helped prevent them. Yes I know riding skills have a lot to do with it but if you can take that out of the picture I think it is a good thing. Talk to the wife look hard at what you can afford and where your decisions will put you in the future. Just for a starting point my 95 inch build cost about $1500 installed, but have a good friend who helped me with the install. That includes, bore, pistons, andrews cam and conversion kit, gaskets, pushrods, lifters. I had the tuner, exhaust and A/C already. Either way you go the grass is always greener on the otherside. Good luck and sorry for the long post

Old 09-23-2011 | 10:31 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

I have a softail and had a Road King. The Road King handles better, rode better, and was as close to a softail look as you can get. I know there will be an arguement on this, but in my opinion the RK is so hard to beat for 'convertability' and ride comfort.

I agree about renting one and doing some serious miles. For one, the seated height is greater on the RK, frame is wider, and foot controls are in a different location. The seat height is a deal killer for lots of people...

Old 09-23-2011 | 10:36 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

The only one to make the decision is you. Go rent a Rk for a few days and really put some time on it. Then decide.

I went through a similar situation to you with my 05 Fatboy, wanted a bagger and kept throwing $ into the fatboy, 95 Stage 2 Kit, Boss Bags, detachable fairing and windshield, cruise arms, progressive suspension front and rear. 2 years later and about $ 3500 it was not a touring bike ( was a great all around bike , cool to have the ability to strip it down in a minute)

So I sold it and got a FLTRX. 3 months later and 4000+ miles I have no regrets. IMO the Softail is a great bike and has its place, but will never be a touring bike. if you have not ridden one its hard to believe but they out handle a Softail at all speeds from parking lot to freeway and are a more comfortable ride.

In a perfect world Id have kept my Fatboy as a second bike, it was fun to ride but the Glide will also do it all for me short hops to long rides

Old 09-23-2011 | 10:56 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Heads = Hertiage
Tails = Road King

Flip a coin, whichever one you're HOPING comes up is the one you go with.