Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New heads, rocker box covers and more goodies.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM
truckin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all that rsd stuff looks pimp on there

Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master

Don't rush it. Quality is way better than quanity. Looking good man. You will love the new clean bar look.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WARG
Drew, did the dimpled bars cause an issue with the internal throttle fitment?
Yes. I had to get the inner piece of the inner throttle welded to the bar today so that it would stay in place.

I am almost done. Got the wiring all done for the grip ace and tested everything out. It worked fine. Put the tank on. Put the dash on and turned it on again and my idiot lights are not working and my passing lamps are not working but they worked on the initial test. Too tired to figure it out now.

I need some spacers for between the grips and the stepped portion of the bars to clean it up. I also need to get a smaller master cylinder that is not designed to go with the stock switch housings. The internal throttle is really nice. It operates great. Bike is still in pieces until tomorrow.

I'll get up more pics and explain how everything works tomorrow. Can't wait to ride this thing now with the new heads and all this other stuff.

Till tomorrow...

Drew

Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM
anubisss
Banned

Just got back from the maiden voyage. I love this setup. The internal throttle is super smooth. I think it's smoother than it was before. The heads off teh 96" motor are a noticeable difference and I am yet to get on the freeway with it. The grip ace works great.

I have to move the exhaust bracket from my crossover pipe over so I can shift the bike into first as the linkage is hitting the bracket. For you guys who are thinking about adding the grip ace and internal throttle I say go for it. I'll get some pics later on. I'll get the pics of the rest of the isntlal loaded sometime soon.

One more thing. I really dig the exile knurled grips. Rode without gloves by accident and my hands stick to them nicely. The polised look is nice comapred to all the chrome as I have as well. Gonna have a buddy make me some polished spacers for between the grips and mirror clamp and the throttle and master cylinder.

I am going to have to get a slim and trim master cylinder too now, but that will be done when the funds materialize.

Drew

Old 09-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pimp your ride for sure, it is sick like to see the controls now they are done. very cool haveing the heads done really wakes up the motor

Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 PM
anubisss
Banned

Just got back from test ride number 2. The new 96" heads make a serious difference in pwoer according to my butt dyno. I shift about 10 mph later so I go into 5th at about 70 now. From 70-100 is a split second. This is much more than I actually expected out of the heads.

These are just stock heads off a 96" twin cam. My bike is a 95" screaming eagle big bore, 203 cams, 96" heads, a power commander and Samson Baby cholos.

Could it be I am done now? Nah...

Old 09-24-2011, 11:36 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 823 Likes on 478 Posts

you might need to do a tank lift to show off those rocker box covers !
your bike just looks better all the time , now it runs better too . cool !

Old 09-25-2011, 02:50 AM
hksigman
Road Master

Originally Posted by anubisss
Just got back from test ride number 2. The new 96" heads make a serious difference in pwoer according to my butt dyno. I shift about 10 mph later so I go into 5th at about 70 now. From 70-100 is a split second. This is much more than I actually expected out of the heads.

These are just stock heads off a 96" twin cam. My bike is a 95" screaming eagle big bore, 203 cams, 96" heads, a power commander and Samson Baby cholos.

Could it be I am done now? Nah...
im confused or its late at nite. You put stock 96 heads on but your engine is a 95 big bore?

Old 09-25-2011, 06:58 AM
anubisss
Banned

What is confusing about that? Yes, and yes.

Drew

Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 AM
anubisss
Banned

Update:
I had to have the internal throttle welded to the bars as the dimpling in the Carlini's and reaming out the inner portion to fit the throttle weakened the bars so the set screws were not strong enough to hold the throttle in place. Here are some pcis of the actual grip ace install. It went as planned once it was welded and all functions work properly.

Internal throttle welded in. I had to chop about 4" off the end of the bars. The welds were later cleaned up with a dremel.

From the front...Yes, that is my white car.

The module for the grip ace is inside the fork tins on the left side on my bike with double stick tape.

Separate and shrink wrap wiring from grip ace by side for soldering.

One side soldered and shrink wrapped...

The other side soldered and shrink wrapped. The white and gray wires are soldered together to eliminate the run /off switch. The red and yellow wire is for teh front lever brake light switch. I am yet to figure out how to work this part out.

Throttle installed and welds cleaned up. I am getting some spacers made of polished aluminum today to make it all flush. I will be finding a better master cylinder for a clean look too.

Left side now switch housing. Getting a spacer for this today too. I need to get some shorter bolts for my mirror clamp and master cylinder too as I am still running the bolts from the J&M speakers which are excessively long.

The control pad in the exile grip. Teh functions are as follows. left button Hi/Lo beam, next left signal, next horn, right button right signal. Two right most buttons start the bike. Two left most turn on the hazards. The only function lost is the run/stop switch.

This setup is very slick and there is only one slim wire running through the bars on teh left side and the throttle cable on the right. I am going to also internally wire my brake line when i get my new master cylinder so it will be super clean. Fireman1501, send me a link for the brake cable you used. Is it one piece? Thanks.

Drew

Quick Reply: New heads, rocker box covers and more goodies.