Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Warranty Question

OK...bought and ready to install some goodies on an otherwise stock 96 motor- V&H Big Radius 2-1/V&H FuelPak/SE Heavy Breather. I still have 8 months of warranty left. Please share any advise or warranty experience with Harley relating to these kinds of components. I want to install my stuff but sure would hate to void the warranty. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Just take the Fuel Pak off before you bring it in needing any Warranty Work and all should be good. Even with the Fuel Pak you should be OK. But taking it off will avoid any of those potentially annoying conversations that have absolutely nothing to do with the warranty work you need to have done but everything to do with the ignorance of the Service Writer and/or Service Manager at the Dealership.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:19 AM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call anonymously to the dealer and ask them. If you have the pipes and a/c on with no tuner, that could void warranty on it's own, unless the fuel pak flashes the ecm - not familiar with it.

My dealer did the stage 1 before it was first started at PDI and said they would warranty it where they did the work.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sort off topic,

One thing I learned with my first Harley, know the mods you want before it leaves the dealership. My stage 1 was covered since it was ordered before it left the shop (supposedly HD turns a blind eye for new bikes)...now with just adding stage 2, not no more. But at least my dealership said if something goes wrong that isnt related to my stage 2 mods, it's all covered.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Miked053
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If my understanding is correct any modifacation done to a specific part of the bike is the only thing that is off the warentee unless installed by the dealership. The dealership "SHOULDNT" not cover say a bad clutch or brakes because of pipes. Now granted this is all dealer specific but just make friends with the service manager and that would get you a long way.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM
FXBadass
Tourer

That is correct at my dealer there miked - I bought the stage 1 stuff including tuner at my dealer, they installed, and honoured full warranty (which will be done next April). They replaced my rear fender, master cylinder covers, faulty high/low beam switch, front tire, and some other minor stuff without question - but I have an exceptionally good dealer here (100+ miles from my house though). There is a closer dealer, but I stay away from them after the horror stories, and their lack of giving you the time of day when you are in their shop.

I asked my dealer if I put bars on if it would void any warranty and they said "not at all - go for it", and I did.

That is why I say to the OP to call the dealer and ask - that will take the guesswork out.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This topic comes up all the time.. nothing like those void the warranty unless a problem occurs AND it is one of those items that cause the problem... i.e. your FuelPak is tuned wrong and causes the engine to not get enough fuel and chew itself up or whatever.. i'm running V&H exhaust, PCV, and Arlen Ness intake, and my dealer told me my warranty was still good unless one of those things blow up.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:06 AM
FXBadass
Tourer

mswing - did you just buy your bike new last year? You either have 2 years or 7 years of warranty - depending if you bought the additional 5 years.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is for guys that just bought their bikes:

There is a clause in the warranty that if you have parts added and installed on the bike "by the dealer" within 60 days from the original purchase date and have the dealer install them. Those parts will be added into your warranty for the full term.
So whatever they will put on your bike is fully covered.
Of course every dealer is different in their opinions of what aftermarket parts they will install. Mine won't install the V&H FuelPack anymore. They told me they won't install them anymore because one time they installed one on a bike and it blew it up and they had to pay for the repairs.
Probably because their mechanic didn't program it properly in the first place.

Also: In this months (October) "American Iron Magazine" they have a great article called " Inside Harley's Warranties".

`

Last edited by Jester750; 09-23-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry the warranty only applies befor u take possesion after that its not covered call wisconsin mother harley. it happened to me already. so on my new bike i had eveything done and now iam covered.

Quick Reply: Warranty Question