Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
sorry the warranty only applies befor u take possesion after that its not covered call wisconsin mother harley. it happened to me already. so on my new bike i had eveything done and now iam covered.
Wrong-O....... !!!

Here is a link to the MOCO's website that proves it:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...-coverage.html

Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
sorry the warranty only applies befor u take possesion after that its not covered call wisconsin mother harley. it happened to me already. so on my new bike i had eveything done and now iam covered.
Not always true, a lot of what gets covered depends on how far the dealer is willing to go for the customer. For instance if a "modified" part fails, the dealer submits a claim for the stock part and an individual might need to pay some difference in the parts price. From what I hear repeatedly, dealerships are more willing to help customers that have purchased parts through them (whether self installed or installed at the dealer). With the advent of internet sales, many folks are scouting the deal (myself included) but still want the dealer to help them out. I try to spend as much as I can with the dealer to maintain a good relationship but won't pay through the nose to keep that relationship.

I have done some work and had some work done on my bikes that could place me in warranty "limbo", but am reasonable confident the two dealerships I maintain a relationship with will look out for me. You mention you are close to being out of warranty, does that mean you have no intention of considering an extended warranty? I didn't plan to buy one but decided to buy five more years three days before mine expired.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:29 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FXBadass
mswing - did you just buy your bike new last year? You either have 2 years or 7 years of warranty - depending if you bought the additional 5 years.
I bought my bike used (55 miles) in Jan of 10 from a private dealer (check out www.nicerideinc.com) in Florida. It's an 08 FatBoy and it had an additional 2 year extended warranty (4 total). I was able to get the remaining warranty transferred to me by sending the transfer paperwork to the original owner and it expires in May 2012. I have over 6K miles on it now. It's late enough in the season (Missouri) and the weather is hit or miss. I won't get too many more rides in anyway so I might just go ahead and fit-er-out. Thanks all for the advice!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:29 PM
JPL
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My .02
My bike broke down about 2 weeks ago. I had a broken Oil Pump. I have a Sh*tload of things on my bike. PC V, Fuel Moto A/C, V&H BSL, Custom Cycle Controls Handlebars, Jockey Shift & Foot Clutch, and a bunch of other things. Warranty covered the whole bill. It wasn't even my warranty but actually the extended warranty I had bought and forgotten about (My warranty expired 2 months ago, go figure!)

Old 09-23-2011, 02:38 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,359 Likes on 5,499 Posts

Originally Posted by mswing1234
OK...bought and ready to install some goodies on an otherwise stock 96 motor- V&H Big Radius 2-1/V&H FuelPak/SE Heavy Breather. I still have 8 months of warranty left. Please share any advise or warranty experience with Harley relating to these kinds of components. I want to install my stuff but sure would hate to void the warranty. Thanks!
As long as the parts you added did not cause the failure your covered.
I have NEVER had on problem with HD warranty.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 PM
mjmangus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as aftermarket parts voiding your warranty there is a law called the Magnuson-Moss Act which basically states that it must be proven that the parts caused the failure.