Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charring up my plugs left and right! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
spdmtlrcng
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charring up my plugs left and right! HELP!

Okay so here is the deal. I have an 05 Nightrain (carbed) with less than 5,000 miles. I ran out of gas the other day (took off my gauge when I swapped the tank. Since then its been fixed) and ever since then, I have had a good bit of black exhaust coming out. Then the bike would start to misfire and pop under acceleration. I pulled the plugs and the were black. I switched out the plugs to see if that would help and it was okay for about an hour. Then, same thing. So then I opened the bottom part of the carb (I think this is the floater. Please dont flame me. Im new to carbs.) and cleaned all of that out with carb cleaner. Replaced the plugs and started it up. Same black exhaust and after an hour of riding it is misfiring. Pulled the plugs and they are black.
This is not awesome. I know I need to get the carb rebuilt. But before I drop that cash is there anything that I am missing. Again, sorry I am not up on terminology. Hope you guys can help. If not, its cool.

Thanks fellas!
Chris

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm not a carb genius (have EFI, myself), but it sounds like you are running way too rich. I don't believe you need to rebuild the carb, just turn the enrichener down a bit.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely sounds like it's flooding and gas fouling the plugs. Since you said it started after you ran out of gas, I'd guess you have a piece of crap lodged in the needle valve seat keeping the needle valve from closing properly (the needle valve stops fuel flow when the float lifts up).

If you have crap in the bottom of the tank, you need to add an inline fuel filter.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

id clean the carb out real good, that should solve it.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

CHRIS...I don't disagree with whats been said already but I offer another solution to assist. "Seafoam" is an excellent fuel system cleaner/lubricant. I use it in everything I own, including HD, cars, trucks and lawn mowers. Add 1 oz for every gallon of gas. Available at Walmart and most automotive parts houses. I'll be surprised if it doen't help or cure your problem. good luck...

woody

Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 PM
matt816
Tourer

Seafoam yes, good to do. How bout this, whats been done to the bike? What mods have you done/previous owner? You need a baseline to start with. Check the jet sizes, which you should have done when you had the fuel bowl off. take it off again check the jets and float adjustment. If you got it used and don't know, check the needle, all these parts are stupid cheap to get and real easy to find. go to cv-performance.com and BOOKMARK IT!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

What Matt816 said. You should have a service manual if you're going to wrench on your bike. If the bike has stock intake and exhaust you should be running a 45 or 46 pilot and 185 main. Check those 1st. Look at the needle for a number on it and report back. Also, adjust the float per instructions in the service manual. If you don't have a manual, somone will get back to give you with the directions for adjusting the float. Finally,check the a/f mix screw, there may be a plug over it but I doubt it. The a/f screw should be about 2 1/2 turns out for starters when you begin to adjust it. So, check jet sizes 1st, then check needle size, 3rd-adjust float then adjust a/f mix screw.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
CtCruzer
Cruiser

Needle and seat probably pixked up junk wgen you ran out

Pull carb open bottom pull float &needle out ise carb clean and blow out all passages from fuell inlet out to needle jets etc
while fuel line off open ptcock let some fuel out flushing line

Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
FXBadass
Tourer

What kind of petcock is on that swapped tank? Maybe the diaphragm in it is bad. With the engine off of course, try unhooking the fuel supply line from the petcock with it on the "on" position and see if gas isn't dripping past under gravity as it should be a vacuum activated petcock. I drain those tanks by piping the petcock to a gas can and run a vacuum cleaner to the vacuum line to drain them quickly. That could explain some flooding issues, and it is easy to rule out.

Last edited by FXBadass; 09-23-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:55 AM
spdmtlrcng
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome advice guys. I'm at work right now but will pick up some Seafoam and more carb cleaner on the way home. I'll get back to you guys ASAP. Thanks again!

chris

Quick Reply: Charring up my plugs left and right! HELP!