Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle jet question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:16 AM
s.ga.rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle jet question

I bought my 05 heritage used so I dont know whats been done to the carb. It had slipons and a high flow airfilter installed. I replaced the slip ons with v&h big shot longs. The plugs are white so its a little lean (runs perfect)but when I start it in the mornings I warm it up for about 5 minutes but it still idles low until I ride it about 5 more miles. Then its up to normal idle speed. I can shut the bike off for 10 minutes and its idling low again till I ride a few more miles. It will do this all day. Is that normal for harley cards or do I need some adjusting. The air/mixture screw is 2 turns out also. I have the idle speed a little high now because if not it was shutting off without holding the throttle cracked or using the enricher while hot till I rode it like I stated above.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 AM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the outside air temp?

Does this happen when the temp is 75 or above?

When was the last time the carb was cleaned?

Are you using the choke full out to start then half way full in like the manual says?

Is the idle jet loose?

Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

yes it will idle slow untill its warmed back up.

no you shouldent have to ride with the choke out, if you do then its lean.

with your setup id try backing out the mix.screw a turn, if things dont improve go up one size in the slow jet then reset the idle, and mixture.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 PM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

Its done it in any temp. Its been in the 100s and lately its been in the 60s for the mornings. When I got it I ran a bottle of seafoam through it but thats all thats been done to it. I let it run about 20 seconds with the enricher all the way out then warm it up for 4-5 minutes with it about half way out.

Blob, I will back the screw out some more and see if that helps.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Slower idle is normal after cool down, they cool down fairly fast especially in cool weather. Stock pilot jet is #45. An aftermarket #46 works the best for me but your air filter could make a difference. Harleys next step is as #48. Adjust the airscrew to the fastest idle when the engine is hot, but maintain a slow idle speed when adjusting for best results. If its not spitting back thru the carb after its warmed up, its probably fine. Ride it, get a good feel about it before you start making changes. It will let you know.

Last edited by Mikey 1450; 09-18-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:09 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

As the guys have said, try turning the a/f mix screw out first. I would go a quarter turn at a time and ride it to see how it goes. Once you go to 3 turns out you may have to go to a larger pilot jet. Like Mikey said, 45 is stock, then 46 and 48. I don't think the dealer carries the 46 but you can get it here.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:24 AM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you don't know, I would definitely remove the float bowl and see what jets are in there (and also check to see if the pilot jet is clogged). It's not difficult and only takes a few minutes. I think 190 main and 48 pilot are the norm for high flow intake and exhaust.

I had the same issues you're describing, plus it would cough and stumble once in a while accelerating from a stop (plus it would kick back on me sometimes when starting it back up after gassing up). I pulled the float bowl to see if it was jetted too lean. I found that it did have a 190 main and a 48 pilot, BUT the pilot jet was about 70% blocked/clogged. After I cleaned it and put it back together, solved the issues plus it made a world of difference in bottom end torque.

Pilot jets have really small holes, and it's not uncommon for them to get partially blocked/clogged. Often times, people will rebuild the carburetor (cleaning the pilot jet in the process), when all that really needed done to solve the problem was clean/clear the pilot jet.

Last edited by pnw_hd_rider; 09-19-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:00 PM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

I adjusted the screw another 1/4 turn and it did better but when I shut it off it kept idling for a second before shutting off. I turned it a 1/8 back in and will see how that does.