Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

26 miles and flat

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:46 PM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 26 miles and flat

Bought a new set of Metzler ME880s, I was ready to put some serious mileage on them, but 26 miles after leaving the indie my rear tire is flat. The owner said he値l call the Metzler rep to see if they値l do a good faith replacement, but he made it loud and clear that he was not giving me a break on the labor. I just spent a lot of time looking at handlebars and cables with him, at a cost of $800-$1000. Wow, he wants my business, but doesn稚 get the idea of taking care of labor on a rear tire to keep me as a customer.
I never met anyone who got a flat on a bike. The break looks like a burst from the inside of some sort- there is no other trauma around the break indicating I ran over glass, screw, or a nail, and I didn稚 go through any pot holes- beside, breaks from pot hole are usually in the side wall, and don稚 look like this.

Attached Thumbnails 26 miles and flat-break-in-tread.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Radimus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never got a flat either, but have worn out several sets of tires. I bought the tire warranty from Harley and they will replace any tire as long as there is still servicable tread on it. I believe that it also covers labor and parts, I'll check monday as there is some warranty work to be done.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:07 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

FWIW, I once got a flat on my Rear Dunlap that looked similar to yours. I never did figure out what happened. It already had about 1200 miles on it when it blew. I was several miles from anything so I rode it all the way up the mountain to my home. I put 30 miles on that flat and rode at about 25 mph. I was blown away to find that the tire was still usable after that. Just had to replace the tube.

That does suck though, for a new tire. Regardless of what happened, the indy's certainly not at fault unless he "way" overly inflated it. At the same time, I understand where you're coming from in wanting a goodwill gesture. If it's due to a defect in the tire, I think Metzler should be responsible. Proof is the difficult part.

Good luck with that.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:27 PM
user 46092
Banned

I agree, I don't think it was the shops fault, and the right thing to do is call the Rep like he said he will do, and hopefully Metzler will step up.
My problem is that the indie felt he can diagnose it over the telrphone and would take tat diagnosis as gospel, plus his bit about "... but your going to have to pay for the labor!" He wants me to do business with him on new handlebars wires and cables, so he should have at least said I'll work with you on the labor.
The other thing is that when I originally paid the bill he reminded me a couple of times about making sure the I keep an eye on the air pressure and check it when cold because the tires lose air over time- and then he wrote it on the receipt. He knows I am an experienced rider, this isn't my first Harley, and that I used to build cars and race on the streets as a teenager- so what's the deal? Did he have some paranormal vision that my tire was going to be a problem and knew he should warn me about the pressure?

Last edited by user 46092; 09-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:08 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default tire

sounds like there may have been an existing problem with that tire by the way he was talking. I never trust the dealer they are all snakes

Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 PM
the maintenance man
Intermediate

I had two flats about a month apart a few years back. One on the front & one on the back, both on new tires. The one on the back was a blow out & damn near caused me to go down in traffic. Crossed both lanes & got stopped in the parking lot of a bar. Guy standing in the parking lot said, don't know about you but I almost craped my pants.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,316 Likes on 5,873 Posts

You had a flat..indie has plenty of work and ain't giving you **** for free...get over it..why should he?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me I think I'd prefer to pay for the labor of installing a new tire... than pay for labor and the cost of a new tire.

Hopefully Metzler will make good on what looks to be a defective tire.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 AM
user 46092
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
You had a flat..indie has plenty of work and ain't giving you **** for free...get over it..why should he?
Point out where I said I wanted, "**** for free."
If you can read posts in a forum, you should know some Biology by now- **** comes out your a$s, and you go to the toilet for that experience- I went to the indie because I needed tires. Do I need to explain it further? Are you getting this? I have to ask because your statement reads like you're Special Ed, since a normal, well adjusted human being, doesn't write remarks like you did. So, since your angry response is focused on excretion, spend your time on the toilet and keep your nasty remarks out of here.
My statement was, "he should have at least said I'll work with you on the labor." If you want repeated business from your customers, you have to give a little every now and then- especially when the new tire you just put on went flat after 25 miles. I never asked for a free tire either- he offered to call Metzler about the incident, I didn't ask him to do so.
Your comment, "indie has plenty of work," means you know which indie I'm talking about, right? Wrong. He's not busy, that's why I went to him- to give him some work and stay in business. But, since your post portends you to be omniscient, and therefore know the specific indie I went to, tell us which indie did the work.
This forum is for connecting with other bikers for advice and for sharing experiences, Tom84FXST. Lose the attitude- that's not why we come to this forum.
My apologies to the other people reading and posting in this thread- I just can't stand the bad attitudes.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:26 AM
HolePuncher
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ctwith3
I just can't stand the bad attitudes.
Well said. +1