Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install led turns signals/brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 AM
blackcrow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install led turns signals/brake

I am a noob at this stuff. I have a 2005 Deuce EFI.

I bought a pair of led turns signals by Auto Gem and need help installing. They will be rear running and turn signals. I bought the Tailbones Converter and Smartequilizer.

My question is when I remove the old turn signals will there be 3 wires attached to them? if not, where do I attach the 3 wires? Does anyone have a diagram I could see?

There were no directions with the signals. Just this info:
Black = Ground
Blue = Running light
Purple = Directional light.

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have light currently mounted? If so, see how many wires it has it should be three also, same concept as aftermarket. You will need to get a manual or have someone with a duece provide you with details on where those wires are and what plugs to pull. Or, you can see what color the wires are and trace them back to a connection under the tank
Once you find the connection either pull existing wires if internally ran or cut and splice and mount and your desired location.. If you are going to going mount at current location then just remove and splice.

If you are in doubt which one of your current wire is which then use a multimeter and run the functions if you dont have one then run the functions i.e turn on turn signals and remove a wire if it shuts off then thats the turn signal wire.. but try to use mutlmeter first..

Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Bulb colors

It is important because if the lenses are red then they MUST be running lights too. If the lights are amber then they must NOT be running, signal only. A multimeter set to DC (its lowest setting) can let you know the presence of voltage when the running lights are on. I run rear ambers and just terminated the running wire in the brake housing. It will suck if i have to change it back for some reason as i cut the wires short so there is no spaghetti in the tail light assembly.
Take off the seat(s) to the bike and go from the last 'junction box' which would be your brake light and then trace to the assembly under the seat. Hopefully this gets you started and you will understand it from there. I am no stickler for the rules so as far as unplugging battery I don't do it but you may want to. It is two or three wires from there. Leave your wires long before you button it all up because you'll want to rest your brake lights and signals. Make sure the proper lights illuminate when you call for them.
Good luck!
-Tom

Old 09-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Default What Joe says!

Good point from Joe, when you determine where the stock signal harness and eq are then remove it, why leave it in place?!??!!?!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:01 PM
blackcrow
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone taking the time to help me

Here is the diagram from the Service Manual.

My new led turn signals have 3 wires.

I assume I connect (left side):
black wire to black wire (ground?)
purple wire to violet (directional light)
blue wire to ??? (running light / brake light)

I assume I connect (right side):
black wire to black wire (ground?)
purple wire to brown (directional light)
blue wire to ??? (running light / brake light)

Where should I connect the blue wire? and how do I connect it? Please tell me where according to the diagram above.

Should I solder the wires or use clamps?

Thanks

Last edited by blackcrow; 09-17-2011 at 08:09 PM.