Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problem ONLY when cold/first start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 PM
tvr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS!! lots of things to look at....I am pulling the switch apart tonight in case wire is bare/crimped etc leading to relay...easier fix....otherwise sounds like the starter has to come out one way or the other to check...I wondered about carbon or something on brushes that wouldnt pass current untit hot, but realized that was a stupid idea....assume no way to tell by removing exposed end :-)

Old 09-15-2011, 04:40 PM
tvr
Intermediate

TasTodd....intrigued by your idea of solenoid button as well, as would be good backup...doesnt sound like to difficult a mod

Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by tvr
TasTodd....intrigued by your idea of solenoid button as well, as would be good backup...doesnt sound like to difficult a mod
Lots of people have them , and it IS a good back up. I have this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SOLEN...item2566a55d49

It's about a 10-15 min job to install (depends on your pipes). Just know that w/ this, it's ALWAYS hot. Meaning, it will turn the engine over any time it's pushed, w/ or w/out the ignition on.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:04 PM
tvr
Intermediate

Tks for the link, will check it out! Appreciate the idea, any backup system on a harley is a good thing! At least it was on my old shovel :-)
Tks to all...heading to garage to tear into it

Old 11-09-2016, 06:21 PM
daveoffroad
Stage III

Originally Posted by tas_todd
Mine just clicks sometimes and other times it'll start. I replaced the starter a little while back when it went and I replaced the relay too, for a while the "click" went away. I've read before about people putting a second relay and that fixed their problem. I put the button on my solenoid for those times the handlebar button doesn't work.

Let us know what you find.
Thanks this may help me out. So when the button on bars won't work the new button on solenoid does? Thinking of doing this to my 98'fatboy. Only does it for first start of day. Soft click not loud

Old 11-14-2016, 10:10 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

I recently replaced my ignition switch because it was getting real hard to turn. The guy that was doing the work, along with service, fixed my clicking issue. What he found was that some of the wiring connectors had corrosion down in the crimped connectors. The 94's did not have sealed connectors.

The dreaded CLICK is gone! So, check those connectors!

Old 11-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,014 Posts

Originally Posted by tas_todd
I recently replaced my ignition switch because it was getting real hard to turn. The guy that was doing the work, along with service, fixed my clicking issue. What he found was that some of the wiring connectors had corrosion down in the crimped connectors. The 94's did not have sealed connectors.

The dreaded CLICK is gone! So, check those connectors!

I suspect that this is at least part of my problem. I don't think H-D envisioned that my bike would be around after 23 years/200,000+ miles. Unfortunately, once corrosion gets in between the wires and the contacts, there's no good solution except to replace the wiring harness.