Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:11 AM
fmnspooch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Harley...

Looking for a little advice. I just got my permit and am looking at an 2005 softail deluxe for my first bike. Everyone I talk to has told me that if I get a sportser that Im a chump basically.

I sat on three different softails this week, I like the way the softail fits me, but I must admit, I drop a turd the second I fire it up. I met with a nice local guy today who has one for sale, its priced right too. When it came time to pull the trigger, I told the guy I wanted to sleep on it. Got totally nervous and bagged. Not sure if the Softail Deluxe is too big for me. I guess that is the reason for the hesitation.

With that said, Im not a small guy by any means. Im 5'9 220lbs.

Looking for some sound advice. Should I go for it or what?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Pooch

Old 09-11-2011, 06:21 AM
apx07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have your heart set on a Harley as your first bike but don't want a Sportster, then I'd suggest a Dyna super glide custom or similar. It has mid controls which are better for control than forwards until you get more experience.

If you aren't confident though, get a 1200 sportster. They are great bikes and easiest to ride.

Remember your safety is your highest priority when starting to ride....

Ride safe and enjoy the Harley

Cheers,

Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 AM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Echo what apx07 said about safety being your #1 priority.

My opinion...spend some time figuring out which bike you feel like you can handle the best BEFORE you buy anything. This isn't the time to man-up because others are pressuring you one way or another.

Don't be afraid to visit a local HD dealership and sit on the bikes to see which model fits you best. Talk with the experts there to determine the best bike for your body type and experience level.

It would be a mistake to buy something that you're nervous about riding (speaking about size here).

I don't know who is telling you NOT to get a Sportster. I would ignore them. I've ridden many times with very experienced riders who own some really cool Sportsters.

Good luck and enjoy this experience!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 AM
laduckslayer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sportsters are great - unique following with them. I've had many, and recently sold my latest.

I have a 2005 Deluxe - Softies are great as well. The counterbalanced engine removes the vibration very nicely. It's a great bike for making it your own. Lot's of creative guys on this forum.

Dyna - Great bikes. I don't have one one at this time, but Dyna's have been my favorite set up since I owned my '72 Super Glide.

Touring - you're going to end up here anyway!!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Hawghauler
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife got her license and learned to ride at age 50. Her first bike is a Deluxe. My 19 year old daughter learned to ride on it and my other daughter has a Springer. The Deluxe is a very well mannered dancing partner. You may want to get a cheap 250cc scratch and dent bike to learn on, but the Deluxe is a very manageable bike. Moderation is for monks.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Rent a few and see if they are comfortable for you before dropping the cash on the bike. Softails are low and very well balanced.

Drew

Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The only people telling you sportsters owners are chumps, are chumps themselves...
Being said.... I owned a sporty. Took alot to get it to where I needed it... I am your size, the bike is too small for you stock! Sportys are not the easiest to ride... High center of gravity. As fast as most all other regular big twins, and lighter to boot. Being lighter, has a quicker throttle response, and you can throw it around quickly. Being a new Harley rider, she can quickly get away from you..

The Softail deluxe....
Buy it if it makes you feel like that!!! You won't out grow it... Can change it easier than just about any bike... The options are nearly endless. You won't have buyers remorse. You won't have a bike you feel you will need to get rid of, to go buy another...
It's low... Easy to ride... Comfortable...
Good luck! Enjoy!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get what feels right, but a deluxe won't be to big for you.

I felt the same way when I got back into riding. I found a sweet deal on a deuce, but thought it was going to be to big. I got and after taking easy for a few weeks I'm so glad I went with a softail. I upgraded within a year to a new deluxe

Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the Deluxe. You wont be sorry.
Tom

Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Take the MSF course if it is offered in your area. They provide the bike. Softails are great because you sit "in" the bike. My Lo handles great and is very comfortable. I made some changes to fit me. Don't be hesitant because of a bikes size. It's how it feels when it's off the stand.

Attached Thumbnails First Harley...-011.jpg  

Quick Reply: First Harley...